Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 08:18 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,199,062 times

Advertisements

we can't be satirical now because that might be offensive?

Really?

Old 03-11-2010, 08:29 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,573,242 times
Looks like here we go again with the censorship.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:06 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,365,995 times
I suspect this thread won’t last long even in the A&A forum, but in case I am wrong and it makes it, here is my 2 cents worth.
I see some of the post on the R&P forum and wonder if it is religious trolls trying to get the thread closed by getting wild with Atheist statements. If I have something to say I and recognize it may be on the edge, or if I think a troll needs to get a “civil dose of reality”, I come to the A&A forum. If an Atheist statement is made here I think any who read it should be thick skinned enough not to be offended. If they are than it is their problem and they need to seek help someplace other then an Atheist Forum. I have always thought the Atheist forum needed Atheist Mods, and I know some of our best Mods are non religious and fair. I question how any religious person could be fair in their review of views which see their faith as false, and harmful to humanity.
I don’t know what to do with the R&P forum. We might place a warning sign about trolls, and religious parrots quoting bible verses. The warning might give posters a chance to adjust before they opt to go troll hunting.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:46 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,726,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
we can't be satirical now because that might be offensive?

Really?
Just pretend you read it in an old book. That automatically makes it unoffensive regardless of content, if I understand the rules correctly.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:02 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,551,568 times
I love satire, I understand satire... I just wish that many of the other cd'ers understood it...they don't..I am/was the believer part of the mod team for this forum..Has nothinhg to do with how I mod..and I have no intention or desire to close this thread..so far..

Old 03-12-2010, 07:03 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,184,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Just pretend you read it in an old book. That automatically makes it unoffensive regardless of content, if I understand the rules correctly.
Good point.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:46 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,744,493 times
I feel every bit as frustrated about the sudden knocks for 'satire' (would love to know what some of the snipped posts originally said!).

I don't want to speak for every atheist or agnostic, but it does appear that many in the A&A forum are CRAVING a little comic relief. Good grief, if we can laugh at ourselves (joke thread), why on earth can't anyone else?

:: takes deep breath ::

There, um, doesn't seem to be the same appreciation (or grasp, in some cases) of humor from our more rabid devout believers in the R&P forum. The ability to laugh at ourselves, our idiosyncracies, is human and healthy. The complete INability to value or grasp humor--and to live in a fragile, spun-sugar-glass house--is tragic beyond belief.

I would hope that there is room for humor without breaking TOS...I'm still a little confused, though, as to how satire is seen as bashing or cruel. Help?

Old 03-12-2010, 10:34 AM

416 posts, read 698,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
I feel every bit as frustrated about the sudden knocks for 'satire' (would love to know what some of the snipped posts originally said!).

I don't want to speak for every atheist or agnostic, but it does appear that many in the A&A forum are CRAVING a little comic relief. Good grief, if we can laugh at ourselves (joke thread), why on earth can't anyone else?

:: takes deep breath ::

There, um, doesn't seem to be the same appreciation (or grasp, in some cases) of humor from our more rabid devout believers in the R&P forum. The ability to laugh at ourselves, our idiosyncracies, is human and healthy. The complete INability to value or grasp humor--and to live in a fragile, spun-sugar-glass house--is tragic beyond belief.

I would hope that there is room for humor without breaking TOS...I'm still a little confused, though, as to how satire is seen as bashing or cruel. Help?
Maybe people find a story about a nun having genital herpes and taking valtrex offensive... The forum is supposed to be about thoughts behind the atheism belief system... not a way to use satire to make fun of religions.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:34 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,939,945 times
Maybe it's only cruel/bashing if the point strikes too close to home?

I don't know, just guessing.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:01 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,939,945 times
I just want to be clear... is it only satire that is getting flogged, or sarcasm as well? Because I can do without satire. It's harder, more subtle. But sarcasm.... don't take away my sarcasm. I get the shakes and bad nausea and this weird itching sensation all over.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism