Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 11:15 AM

247 posts, read 751,265 times

Advertisements

because she asked me one day about my beliefs because I never talk about church (so I told her) and she started to cry and is now trying to save me.

Can we say inappropriate?

I mean, that is none of her business and I would never criticize her beliefs to her and try to convert her.

ugh *yes I live in the bible belt*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 11:28 AM

1,301 posts, read 2,110,291 times
Aren't there rules against such things at your job? I'd inform a manager/higher up to tell this person to stop bothering you. I guess if you live in the bible belt, though, it's possible nobody sees anything wrong with what she's doing

On the plus side, I suppose you could sell all the books and dvds for a little extra change on the side.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:42 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach_B View Post
because she asked me one day about my beliefs because I never talk about church (so I told her) and she started to cry and is now trying to save me.

Can we say inappropriate?

I mean, that is none of her business and I would never criticize her beliefs to her and try to convert her.

ugh *yes I live in the bible belt*
Addressing the bold first: If you didn't want it to be her business you should've told her so when she asked you.

Addressing the continuing problem: What I would do, is tell her "I'm going to need for you to please stop imposing religion on me, particularly in the workplace."

If she continues, report her to your boss or Human Resources. Harrassment in the workplace is against the law, and religious prostheletizing falls into that category.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:46 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,704,793 times
I would tell her where she could put her books etc, in the nicest possible way of course.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Addressing the bold first: If you didn't want it to be her business you should've told her so when she asked you.
I know this is true but I just didn't know how to answer her where it wouldn't come off in a bad light "I don't think that is your business"--because I genuinely like the lady in every other aspect.
My manager also always talks about church, asks me if I go, invites me to go with her, and proceeds to say "I didn't see you there last Sunday" and etc.
I really need to get out of the area

Old 04-25-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post

On the plus side, I suppose you could sell all the books and dvds for a little extra change on the side.
That is what I was thinking

Old 04-25-2010, 12:02 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times
See, I can be really wicked when it comes to stuff like that. If gently telling her to stop doesn't work, I'd just thank her for the junk, and then not only would I sell it as others suggested, I'd use the money for something truly heretical or hedonistic.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:05 PM

160 posts, read 183,648 times
Ugh, how annoying. I am forced to go to church every Sunday. My parents were both raised in the Bible Belt (Alabama) so church was always a major part of our family. I hated every moment of church.

I think it's time you relocated, and sold the religious junk on Ebay.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:31 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
A lady at work brings me Christian books/dvds/merchandise every month

I used to have a guy at work who did the same thing, until, when he handed yet another tract, I thanked him for the toilet paper.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:57 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,915,172 times
Some workable options:

1): Sit her down, and tell her, quite sincerely, while looking directly into her eyes to "engage" here so she can't deflect and look away, that her beliefs, no matter how sincere and convinced she is, do not "resonate" with you, that in fact you've explored them at various levels in the past, and that when you did, they simply didn't "fit" with your well-thought out philosophies.

You may have to mention that you wouldn't dream of forcing your ideas on others, in case she then responds "Well, what are your philosophies?" They do receive ideological training after all, to blurt out very simplistic counter-arguments. Do not go there.

"I was taught to respect others' privacy in matters of spirituality!" you can say. "We should all respect people's personal and private ideals, don't you agree?"

Remind her that you are now completely happy and confident with your personal life philosophies, even absent God, and even absent some all-knowing truth, which, obviously, none of us can truly know, right? Then patronizingly reach over and pat her hand as you smile with a slightly sympathetic look on your visage. You know, like they do to us?

Or, 2): you could tell her that you did look very thoughtfully at the first "batch" of propaganda (ooopsss. No, don't use that word.. Say, "resources".) she gave you, and "thank you for your thoughtful concerns" but that it really is not a philosophical "fit" for you.

In fact, you might kind of humorously mention that after you read it, you had to go puke. (Nahhh, you'd better leave that part out too...)

And then, produce all of them, with the appearance of them having been thumbed through, the DVD suitably scratched up, with some peanut butter smeared on it, and mention that some others might find this of use or interest. If she says "Oh no, please keep them..." you could then move them towards your waste basket, saying "Well. in that case...".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism