Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 06:59 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElOl888 View Post
the mechanism of evolution is said to have started to be a agent after the first living cell existed. You cannot apply evolution to the creation of the universe, and the first living cell.
Well of course not, why do you insist on comparing the incomparable, i.e. the universe vs. a living cell. Do you somehow feel that absurdity somehow give any credibility to your unsupported fantasy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 11:40 PM

494 posts, read 890,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
Oh I see, you pick and choose what you wnat to believe to be miracles. Did you know that is a form of faith?

Moderator cut: deleted - signatures lines violate TOS.
Gosh there you go again with another lame attempt to put words in my mouth. Let me be clear: there is no such thing as a 'miracle'. There are only things which we have scientific explanations for, and things that we do not yet have one for. The latter by no stretch of the imagination means it's a miracle, it simply means 'we don't know yet'.

There are NO miracles.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:49 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,669,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
You don't get it (or don't want to). I think (bolded) the term is "discovered". Not need to believe.

Life is great today for the theist. Then comes dessert.

But not everyone gets dessert, because some choose to leave at the end of the main course.
No it is need. There is nothing to be discovered unless you NEED to "discover" it.
Dessert is life, some just choose to waste it waiting for what wont happen after.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:42 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,715,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Because skeptics don't like evidence that contradicts their worldview.
Yep, many Christians are skeptical of the testimonial evidence which proves that Islam is objectively true. Too bad for them, many will find out too late that they were wrong. Many Shuvs and Zuuls will know what it is to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Last edited by KCfromNC; 06-08-2010 at 09:51 AM..

Old 06-08-2010, 09:48 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,715,377 times
Quote:
This is flawed reasoning.

You conclude that because “we don’t know†that truth can not be known
Nope, no one said that. Go back and read what was actually written instead of letting your bias get in the way of interpreting what you've read.

There's a big difference between "we don't have a way NOW to know what's right and wrong" and "truth can NEVER be known".

Old 06-08-2010, 09:55 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,669,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Yep, many Christians are skeptical of the testimonial evidence which proves that Islam is objectively true. Too bad for them, many will find out too late that they were wrong. Many Shuvs and Zuuls will know what it is to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

LOL!!!! Who you gonna call?

Old 06-08-2010, 11:48 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,652,372 times
Quote:
The interesting thing is that the book you refer to does not advance the flat earth theory you’re talking about. Have you considered why that is?
True, but it does advance the theory that the earth has four corners and that pi=3.0, so I wouldn't put a lot of stock in what they had to say.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:59 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times
Unhappy Consequences indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElOl888 View Post
the mechanism of evolution is said to have started to be a agent after the first living cell existed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Well of course not, why do you insist on comparing the incomparable, i.e. the universe vs. a living cell. Do you somehow feel that absurdity somehow give any credibility to your unsupported fantasy.
Quite true., AN. So why does EIOI888 then conflate it with this purposeful confusion? To confuse the kiddies in the audience? He blithely continues...

You cannot apply evolution to the creation of the universe, and the first living cell.
Of course you can't, so why mention it? Bioscience certainly does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
...the odds are still better than finding some deity with a magic wand that could create even a small moon, much less a universe)

...how sad to not be able to dream, to envision the unlimited possibilities, to be stuck in the thinking of a book written when the earth was believed flat. That may be comforting to some, but such a terrible prison for the mind.
How very prophetic, AN; never truer words spoken. To innocently and inquisitively begin to explore some concept in one's own mind, but then to slap oneself down and admonish oneself for having had such blasphemous thoughts!!! Indeed.

I cannot imagine living under such vile and ignorance-based strictures, and yet, Christians do, and proudly.

Especially when it's so easily disproven by modern, ever-accumulating and increasingly accurate knowledge...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
True, but it does advance the theory that the earth has four corners and that pi=3.0, so I wouldn't put a lot of stock in what they had to say.
Remember as well: to argue this stuff in the historical biblical past usually ended you up in Inquisition Prison. Nowadays, in modern Islam, it gets you stoned, imprisoned or at the least ridiculed and hassled. The result for that society? .....................

Old 06-14-2010, 03:13 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,803,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post

I cannot imagine living under such vile and ignorance-based strictures, and yet, Christians do, and proudly.

Especially when it's so easily disproven by modern, ever-accumulating and increasingly accurate knowledge...

Remember as well: to argue this stuff in the historical biblical past usually ended you up in Inquisition Prison. Nowadays, in modern Islam, it gets you stoned, imprisoned or at the least ridiculed and hassled. The result for that society? .....................
I'm very concerned about what Fundamentalists are trying to do in this country. Religion has become incredibly interwoven into politics, and I find it disturbing. Of course, that a whole new thread.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:44 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
how can we best explain our existence ?

I am, so are Oak Trees, rocks, water, air, ....all sorts of things. The question of why? is largely irrelevant, there must be about ten thousand varying theories on that one, I've yet to find one that makes sense. Existence is its' own explanation, to ask "why" is an attempt to give "existence", properties it may not have. Kinda like asking "why is water wet?" it is simply one of its' properties. Existence is just another property of matter. It really ain't that complicated. But, some people seem to get off on complicating constipation. And.....as a specie, we ain't as special as some folks seem to think we are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism