Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 04:08 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,888,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
I'm very concerned about what Fundamentalists are trying to do in this country. Religion has become incredibly interwoven into politics, and I find it disturbing. Of course, that a whole new thread.
Aha!!! This tells me you have awareness and are capable of thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 04:13 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,812,718 times
Dusty, sometimes you really crack me up!

Old 06-15-2010, 07:02 PM

48 posts, read 54,017 times
Of course everything has a cause -- but nothing is like religion explained.

Religion knows nothing about universe. In the old times, people knew very little about things around them, religion explained a lot things (often wrongly), and took the opportunity to control the followers. Nowadays, no one listen to what religion has to say about the universe.

(plus, religion does not have much to say about the universe: "my God made the universe")

Old 06-15-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid235 View Post
Nowadays, no one listen to what religion has to say about the universe.

(plus, religion does not have much to say about the universe: "my God made the universe")
I wish this was true. Have you heard of the Creative Museum in Petersburg, KY? Or The Creation and Earth History Museum in Santee, CA? There are many others as well. There are, I'm afraid, a lot of people who listen to what religion has to say about the universe.

I don't know about other faiths though. Does anyone know about that? Do other faiths try to disprove science like Fundamentalist Christians do? Would be interesting to know more about that.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:58 PM

48 posts, read 54,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
I wish this was true. Have you heard of the Creative Museum in Petersburg, KY? Or The Creation and Earth History Museum in Santee, CA? There are many others as well. There are, I'm afraid, a lot of people who listen to what religion has to say about the universe.

I don't know about other faiths though. Does anyone know about that? Do other faiths try to disprove science like Fundamentalist Christians do? Would be interesting to know more about that.
I know it -- they also want to teach "creation" to children in science class as a "competing science".

Old 06-15-2010, 09:07 PM

I know. Many of the homeschooled children that my husband and I know are being taught creation science and no other. They are expected to go to seminary or a Christian liberal arts college. None are expected to become scientists, doctors, or engineers even though they are very bright kids. They would answer that God created the universe. No other explanation is plausible to them.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:23 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,226,142 times
What a terrible waste. That should qualify as child abuse.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:49 AM

18,741 posts, read 33,468,225 times
Damned if I know where it and I come from.
But the god explanation doesn't make any more sense.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:42 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,033,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
If there is no purpose why "do our best"? What is "our best"?

You’re right, there’s no need to debate simply think it through by answering a few simple questions.
Good question. Some would say - do good for goodness' sake.

I think that the suffering we're aware of is what demands an answer about where we came from and where we are going and why we are here. If we were not sentient beings - then of course such things would not matter.

But we are so much more than dust only.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:32 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,226,142 times
I think that at least some of us can "be good for goodness' sake", without a reward at the end of life. The latter cheapens the 'being good', IMO. Must we be bribed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism