Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 07:02 AM

81 posts, read 270,037 times

Advertisements

I plan to relocate to the Atlanta area. Recently, I went there to go around with a real estate broker looking for property to buy. The homes are beautiful. But, I was horrified to learn that most of the metro area has no street lights. When driving at night one has merely the lights of his/her car for visability. We looked at many homes in the Fairburn area, along Camp Creek Parkway, Powder Springs and the Cascade area of Atlanta.

I am coming from the midwest. Every place has street lights. This would be an adjustment for me. Are all of Atlanta's areas without street lights? If there are areas with lights, please name them. I'd be happier in one of them.
My job can be adjusted as well. No problems there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 07:41 AM

218 posts, read 1,188,998 times
Default Yep

Most areas closer to the city limits have street lights. Most places in suburbia (particulary the area you were speaking of) do not. I lived in that part of Fairburn you are speaking of and when people came to visit me, they used to ask the same thing. The further out you get, the less street lights you see. There are street lights where there are businesses and stores, but, the further you get out, you don't see any. I don't know about the northside because I've never lived over there, but, that's pretty much the case on the southside, especially in the area you are speaking of, it's always been like that.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:43 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Default A good question

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoriexxx View Post
I plan to relocate to the Atlanta area. Recently, I went there to go around with a real estate broker looking for property to buy. The homes are beautiful. But, I was horrified to learn that most of the metro area has no street lights. When driving at night one has merely the lights of his/her car for visability. We looked at many homes in the Fairburn area, along Camp Creek Parkway, Powder Springs and the Cascade area of Atlanta.

I am coming from the midwest. Every place has street lights. This would be an adjustment for me. Are all of Atlanta's areas without street lights? If there are areas with lights, please name them. I'd be happier in one of them.
My job can be adjusted as well. No problems there.
lots of budget cuts all around metro Atlanta

Problems are being 'addressed'--but it requires tax increases and that is quite a sore subject. Would this be Fulton county? Lots of changes proposed for this area or so I hea.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs119 View Post
lots of budget cuts all around metro Atlanta

Problems are being 'addressed'--but it requires tax increases and that is quite a sore subject. Would this be Fulton county? Lots of changes proposed for this area or so I hea.
Yes, the area being spoken of is Fulton County; it's South Fulton, and as a matter of fact, it is unincorporated Fulton County. Powder Springs is Cobb, but the areas of Fairburn and Camp Creek they are speaking of is Fulton County. As a matter of fact, I know just where they're talking about.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:09 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Default That's good

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLienGirl View Post
Yes, the area being spoken of is Fulton County; it's South Fulton, and as a matter of fact, it is unincorporated Fulton County. Powder Springs is Cobb, but the areas of Fairburn and Camp Creek they are speaking of is Fulton County. As a matter of fact, I know just where they're talking about.
I would like to learn more about the entire metro area.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:18 AM

3 posts, read 17,355 times
Default Also in Cobb

Many subdivisions in Cobb County are also without street lights - and in this case, lack of funding is not really a problem. Many people (me included) do not want street lights in their neighborhood. I absolutely cannot stand having to shut the curtains to sleep in the middle of the night!

I will also point out that street lights use a lot of energy for very little benefit, and they are the main cause of light pollution in the night sky. I enjoying seeing the stars occasionally.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:20 AM

81 posts, read 270,037 times
Default Camp Creek Parkway area

There are many beautiful new home subdivisions in this area. The area is booming. And, shopping is nearby. Obviously, there potential there. I really have my choice of homes in every price range. But driving is a task if one is accustomed to lighting.
Will the changes come fairly soon? If you live in the area, how do you like it and how long have you resided in the area? Any problems?

Old 06-22-2007, 09:46 AM

I don't know if changes are coming soon; maybe they will come eventually because that is becoming a booming area. I can remember when NOTHING was over there, just trees and deer (although you may still see some deer, lol). Over the past 2 years it has recently become a somewhat industrious and residential area. I know people who stay over there, and personally, that has not been a problem with them. They love the convenience of all the shopping and close proximity to the interstates; as one post said, who wants light pollution?It's great to see the beautiful night sky and stars and know that "civilization" is only minutes away.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:10 AM

481 posts, read 2,821,959 times
In suburban Atlanta people do not want street lights.... so out in the suburbs you'll only find street lights along major roads and retail corridors. Once you get to residential areas there are not many street lights. Honestly, this is a good thing...

Old 01-25-2009, 05:52 PM

2 posts, read 6,897 times
Atlanta need street lights! Need s Marta and for all these people who lived here all their life to get with the change and realize this is a big metro are...big city....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta