Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 08:50 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,444,654 times

Advertisements

Or is it too soon to say? It looks like the efforts of Georgia's film association may be paying off.

Just a few of the movies filmed in Georgia opening this summer include X-men first class, Jennifer Anniston in Wanderlust, The Change up and Footloose. Filming in Georgia right now are The Farrelly Brothers, Three Stooges and AmericanPie 4. There was also a movie that was supposed to be like Sex in The City a la Atlanta filmed here with Stacy Dash, Lauren London and Lisa Raye but the producers decided to make it into a TV series instead. And of course there's TMCs hit series The Walking Dead which has got very good reviews and Meet the Browns filmed at Tyler Perrys studios is TBS's highest rated show.

X-Men: First Class starts Georgia-filmed summer movie affair - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_localatl/20110531/ts_yblog_localatl/x-men-first-class-starts-georgia-filmed-summer-movie-affair?bouchon=524,ga - broken link)

Film industry pushes to keep Georgia tax credit *| ajc.com

Last edited by Galounger; 06-02-2011 at 09:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 09:11 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,312,538 times
I saw the trailer for The Change Up, starring Jason Bateman and Ryan Reynolds last weekend. They did a lot of filming downtown for that. You can see Broad Street and Woodruff Park in the trailer. Looks like a hilarious movie.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:28 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,996,790 times
The movie tax credit really seems to be having a huge impact. I know the number crunchers calculate it being roughly breakeven in terms of fiscal costs and benefits, but it is kind of neat having all of this stuff going on nonetheless.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:39 AM

8,487 posts, read 15,017,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
The movie tax credit really seems to be having a huge impact. I know the number crunchers calculate it being roughly breakeven in terms of fiscal costs and benefits, but it is kind of neat having all of this stuff going on nonetheless.
Another big factor, but rather unintentionally, was the writer's strike a few years ago. It ground to a halt any production work in California and New York, but people still had movies and TV shows to make.

I heard this interview a few months back about how during that time (although films were already being made here), a lot of production companies temporarily moved production here or relocated other projects due to our less than stringent adherence to the strike. The person being interviewed said that a big light bulb went off: "Why are we killing ourselves to film in LA when we can film in Atlanta for a fraction of the price PLUS get urban, rural, tropical shooting locations all within a short drive of each other?"

Another factor about filming in Atlanta that isn't often thought about is that we have no paparazzi. Actors and other performers kind of sign on to be in the spot light due to the very nature of their jobs, but they are human and no one likes to have a team of screaming camera guys following them when they do normal every day things like eat lunch or take their kids out for the day. This point is highlighted by this story I heard a few months ago about Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner (both in town to shoot movies), purchased a season pass to the Botanical Gardens. That says something where two ultra famous people are able to just go out a public place like that on a regular basis without having to deal with people interrupting their family time. That sort of thing is priceless.

Here, the absolute worst thing that will happen to them is that some overzealous fan bugs the crap out of them but that's pretty rare I would imagine given our local culture isn't to put people on the spot that way.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:25 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,910,517 times
There used to be a web site that actually was keeping track of all past and current TV shows and movies being done in Georgia, but the URL escapes me. A lot more going on than many realize.

Unfortunately, the paparazzi know about it too. Celebrities used to brag about how they loved to hang out here because the paps didn't know where they were and they could walk around relatively left alone. Now they have pap photogs surrounding them in many places here, the same as any other of the larger movie cities. All good things come to an end (including peace and quiet).

Old 06-03-2011, 09:28 AM

8,487 posts, read 15,017,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Unfortunately, the paparazzi know about it too. Celebrities used to brag about how they loved to hang out here because the paps didn't know where they were and they could walk around relatively left alone. Now they have pap photogs surrounding them in many places here, the same as any other of the larger movie cities. All good things come to an end (including peace and quiet).
Is there? I haven't noticed this at all around anywhere. I could see it happening at clubs, but that is to be expected. I'd be surprised, no shocked, if I came out a grocery store and saw a paparazzo.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:29 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,027,782 times
Quote:
There used to be a web site that actually was keeping track of all past and current TV shows and movies being done in Georgia, but the URL escapes me. A lot more going on than many realize.

This may happen at a "celeb" event/nightclub but generally they can walk anywhere in the city for the most part without having to worry about them

Old 06-03-2011, 10:07 AM

859 posts, read 2,121,657 times
Quote:
There used to be a web site that actually was keeping track of all past and current TV shows and movies being done in Georgia, but the URL escapes me.
IMDb: Most Popular Titles With Location Matching "Atlanta, Georgia, USA"

The "Three Stooges" movie is currently being shot in town.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:00 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,910,517 times
Steve Harvey is also moving his Family Feud game show to Atlanta as well as opening his own production company here: Steve Harvey’s ‘Family Feud’ moving to Atlanta | Radio & TV Talk

Old 06-03-2011, 10:24 PM

16,716 posts, read 29,571,371 times
Quote:
Steve Harvey is also moving his Family Feud game show to Atlanta as well as opening his own production company here: Steve Harvey’s ‘Family Feud’ moving to Atlanta | Radio & TV Talk

Awesome to the max!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta