Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 01:26 PM

46 posts, read 200,452 times

Advertisements

Mega churches are a big turn off to me. As soon as you out an ATM in the lobby its time for me to find another church. I recall going to Bishop Paul S Morton church and he asked the congregation if he could get a 100 people to donate either or $100 or $1000 (cant recall which amount) so that he could get a private plane to travel. People got up and did it but Im sure none of them have ever stepped foot on that plane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 01:43 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,403,839 times
If you dont believe it ask any of the members that go there. There was one of them on this page that was defending Creflo to the death.. lets see if he comes in here. The video part, however, is purely indisputable. I think this is how people get caught up in cults. The fact that people actually own a bible and know some of the things he says here clearly dont support scripture... they still go and give their money to this guy. Simply unbelievable for me.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:41 PM

859 posts, read 2,119,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
I agree.

Even though I have been critical of these churches in the past. I would say,

"Don't Shirley Sherrod me Bro!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrob View Post
rofl!!!!!!!!!

Why thank you sir. Sometimes my dry humor is lost on others.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:17 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyebeauty View Post
Mega churches are a big turn off to me. As soon as you out an ATM in the lobby its time for me to find another church. I recall going to Bishop Paul S Morton church and he asked the congregation if he could get a 100 people to donate either or $100 or $1000 (cant recall which amount) so that he could get a private plane to travel. People got up and did it but Im sure none of them have ever stepped foot on that plane.
RO'MF'FLMAO!!!!!
An ATM at a church?? That's beyond belief. I have friends and a relative that live in CP. I have to go do some investigative viewing sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
If you dont believe it ask any of the members that go there. There was one of them on this page that was defending Creflo to the death.. lets see if he comes in here. The video part, however, is purely indisputable. I think this is how people get caught up in cults. The fact that people actually own a bible and know some of the things he says here clearly dont support scripture... they still go and give their money to this guy. Simply unbelievable for me.
Words of wisdom. I can't believe people are getting conned every sunday. I'd rather relax and BBQ versus making some jet flying preacher richer every sunday. This church thing has become a business. SMH.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:46 PM

112 posts, read 363,402 times
Sometimes I dont know whats worse - greed in a church or scientology! Here in Australia we have a "christian" (a very lose term btw) group called the exclusive bretheren they buy up land and build mega churches and they are very secretive (I personally would say a cult as they are known to split up families). Benny Hinn a few years ago came to Australia and when the plate came around it was the big KFC buckets!!! It was on the news! I believe that you go to church to praise God not praise the preachers pockets! Besides I was taught growing up that before you do something you ask yourself "what would Jesus do". If we believed the rich preachers that means that Jesus was mega wealthy!

Old 08-04-2010, 02:37 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,855,251 times
I can't defend everything Creflo says or would I if I could, but his words in this video, unfortunate as they are, are still very tongue in cheek. He wasn't being serious.

I am sure there are other things you can blast Creflo about, but it is stretching to equate Creflo with actually shooting his own flock if they don't tithe by viewing this video, which is edited about as well as the video of the lady's speech to the NAACP that cost her her job with the USDA. Jesus talked about money more than any other subject. It is not wrong for a pastor to mention it to his congregants from time to time either, but people get all up in arms if they do.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:19 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,403,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I can't defend everything Creflo says or would I if I could, but his words in this video, unfortunate as they are, are still very tongue in cheek. He wasn't being serious.

I am sure there are other things you can blast Creflo about, but it is stretching to equate Creflo with actually shooting his own flock if they don't tithe by viewing this video, which is edited about as well as the video of the lady's speech to the NAACP that cost her her job with the USDA. Jesus talked about money more than any other subject. It is not wrong for a pastor to mention it to his congregants from time to time either, but people get all up in arms if they do.
SMH... yea they were tongue in cheek alright... to emphasize the point we all know he cares the most about. Money

Old 08-04-2010, 09:17 PM

216 posts, read 413,497 times
When the churches I was attended started talking about God as if he was Santa Claus (if you give this, he'll give you this in return PLUS some), and started trying to twist scriptures out of context to justify doing so, I stopped going. This biblically unsound "prosperity gospel" is corrupting so many churches these days. Having come out of some of these churches that preach/teach the prosperity gospel (not megachurches, they don't appeal to me), I know the "code words" that are used. If I'm visiting another church and start hearing them, I leave and don't go back.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:26 PM

397 posts, read 843,049 times
Mega churches are mega businesses. I would love to know what some of these preachers get paid. Also, which ones took a pay cut during the current recession?

Old 08-07-2010, 07:42 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdawk View Post
Mega churches are mega businesses. I would love to know what some of these preachers get paid. Also, which ones took a pay cut during the current recession?
LOL...These Pastors/con men probably don't know we're in a recession.

(Person A says to Creflo Dollar : Pastor Dollar, we're in a recession!!

Pastor Dollar replies: A recesssion? What's that? I'll address that in my sermon later. I'll let them know, no matter how bad things get for them, they need to pay their thithes, and they'll be rewarded....)

Poor people are getting scammed every sunday. That's sad.

Just like you said, Mega Churches are mega businesses!! Playing with people's emotions and vulnerability is no joke, and these guys know it very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta