Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2007, 10:43 AM

5 posts, read 22,463 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody!

Does anybody know if there are any dance studios in Atlanta which train competitive Latin American dancing? (e.g. cha, rumba, jive, paso and samba). I am a serious competitor in International Latin and I would really like to continue pursuing my passion in Alabama because I will be relocating there with my family. I am willing to consider any place which is good, if the drive is not TOO long from Birmingham, Alabama.

Please help! I'll be really grateful if anybody can give me some information!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 04:19 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,209,006 times
there are a some here in ATL but there should be some in Birm also I am a comp dancer for country western dancing and I know only of those dance studios but I know they teach Latin dancing also

Old 06-26-2007, 06:04 PM

88 posts, read 491,231 times
Oh...wow thank you for posting this thread. I have been wanting to find a place once I move. I have been dancing for over 5 years now. Now...I am not a competitor...but I am pretty good and I love ballrrom dancing!!!!!

I am sure there must be some in the atlanta area. I am trying to search over google.

Good luck.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:30 AM

Yea, I have been googling for Dance studios near and around BHM too. I had a couple of hits but I am not sure how good they are since I hardly know the area. I went to a Fred Astaire dance studio but the instructor there told me that they mostly teach american style latin dancing, which is close to, but not the same as what I want to do (Int'l Latin). He told me that very few studios teach Int'l Latin. I wonder if that is true?

I've tried posting in the AL forum too but I did not get very good response... Perhaps there are THAT few dance studios? I really hope not.

Do guys have any good recommendation for a good trainer or studio? I'm still keeping my chin up to find a good place to train and also a good dance partner.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:39 AM

21 posts, read 89,556 times
If you send an e-mail to dave.e.williams@affiliatedfm.com, he sends out a newsletter every Tuesday about dance events and lessons going on in the Atlanta area and beyond. There is a lot about line dancing, but also swing, couples, hustle, west coast swing, etc. Here is an excerpt from one of the newsletters. Hopefully it might be a good place to start:

Dancers,
> Thanks for the great turnout for our Hustle lessons. We will
> definitely have them again soon. Now it's time to move on to a new
> dance and the consensus is Night Club 2. Those of you unfamiliar with
> NC2, it is an elegant dance that is easy to learn and combines Rumba,
> Bolero and Waltz. Guys, the Ladies love this dance, so don't miss out.
>
> This Tuesday, May 22nd at Three Bears Cafe on the Marietta Square, our
> Night Club 2 lesson will begin around 7:45 (Note the time change) and
> the intermediate lesson will begin around 8:30. You may take these
> dance classes for the low price of $8 per person or $15 per couple. No
> matter what level you dance... you are welcome and are guaranteed to
> learn cool stuff and have a lot of fun socializing. There are no
> pre-requisites to take these lessons and you don't need a partner to
> attend. Beginners welcome. Open dancing starts around 9 pm and the
> cover charge drops to $5 per person. Other dance/social opportunities:
> --PHWD Studio's Saturday Night Dance will have Hustle lessons this
> week, May 26th. The cover charge is $8 per person or $15 per couple,
> and this includes snacks, drinks and open dancing after the lesson.
> This has become a wonderful night of dance lessons and open dancing
> and the crowd of 30+ each Saturday night have a blast. No experience
> required and you don't need a partner to join in the fun. PHWD Studio
> is located at 3290 North Cobb Parkway in Kennesaw. The website is:
> PHWD Adult Classes and the phone number is 770-974-8653.
> --The Olde Towne Bistro in Marietta will NOT have dance lessons this
> Sunday, May 27th, at 4:30. The lessons will resume on Sunday, June
> 3rd. The Bistro is located at 736 Johnson Ferry Road in the Pavilion
> Shopping Plaza. It is near the intersection on Lower Roswell Road and
> Johnson Ferry Road. The website is Bistro Olde Town Restaurant and Bar - Marietta, GA - Georgia and the
> phone number is 770-321-5442.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:35 PM

Thumbs up Thanks!!!

Cool!! Thanks for that post. I will try emailing that, I'll let you know if I get any leads

Where I come from, there are differences between studios who mainly do ballroom for Social dancing vs ballroom for Competitive dancing. I'd like to do the latter. So if there are any of you who do that, please recommend your studio to me... I'd really appreciate it!!

Old 08-01-2007, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 5,630 times
Default Looking For Pachanga Dancers!

Hi,
Does anyone know of pachanga dancers or instructors in Atlanta or Birmingham area?
Thanks.
Fran

Old 01-03-2008, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 5,226 times
Default International latin vs American rhythm

I Know exactly what you guys are talking about. I have been dancing international latin for 3 years & i moved to atlanta in june 2007 from another country, i began desprately looking for a studio that does international latin however I got so frustrated and resulted into taking up american rhythm. ive asked on a regular basis to my instructer as to where i can train in international latin and his reponse is that it would be easier for me to do american rhythm because its easier to get noticed and its cheaper..

It seems like none of the American rhythm dance teachers want to tell you where you can go to train in international latin because then they loose out on business and quite frankly they earn plently of money dancing pro/am with you.

There has to be a techer in atlanta some where, if anyone knows of one please inform me too!!

Old 04-29-2008, 09:23 AM

1 posts, read 5,016 times
Default Ballroom instructors

I’ve been dancing International Latin for eight years and below are the instructors I’ve seen during that time in major competitions around the U.S. I've noticed their students always place well. They work in Atlanta at Take Hold Ballroom.
Olga Kormanovskaya
Andrew Zemlyanko

Old 01-17-2009, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 4,309 times
Hey everyone! Brand new to Atlanta here. Any ideas which studios are good for international latin and standard, and also - where do people find dance partners here? None of the dancepartner.com nor mydancepartner.com show any results for this area. Will appreciate any feedback!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta