Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 08:49 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,845,180 times

Advertisements

Hi, I actually lived in Atlanta for about a year over 15 years ago. I know things have changed, but I also know how to find adult things to do. We are going down soon for about 4 or 5 days and bringing our son (9) with us. What can we do with him? We will be getting Braves tickets so that is covered. But what should we plan to do or see while we are there? Isn't there a 6 flags? if so, where and how far away? We may not do that, but it is a fall back if we need it.

We will do outdoors stuff and indoors.

thanks for you ideas!!

Shelly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 08:55 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,741,685 times
Tons O Stuff:

Six Flags
White Water
New Coca Cola Museum
Aquarium
Braves Game
Also check out Atlantaparent.com or AccessAtlanta.com for happenings while you're here.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:00 PM

what is white water? I mean, I know white water is rafting, but is there a place go rafting? or are you refering to something else?

shelly

Old 07-03-2007, 09:02 PM

oh sorry, it's a big water park in Marietta. I think it's owned by Six Flags. Everything a 9 year old would love and all the junk food to go along with it.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:03 PM

27 posts, read 148,396 times
Hiking up Stone Mountain is fun. The view from the top is great and it is about 10 degrees cooler up there. Your son will love seeing the rock alley on the way up where about 10,000 people have placed their used gum. It is a big hit with all the cub scouts we have taken there!

Today we did something fun and touristy that was a big hit with my kids. We took Marta to Peachtree Station and went to the Sundial restaurant on top of the Westin. The restaurant is on top of the hotel and spins 360 degrees in one hour, so you can see most of the Atlanta area. It is the tallest hotel in the Western hemisphere, so it is a great view. The kids loved the elevator ride and the time we spent in the restaurant. They have kids meals for about 8 dollars that include ice cream for dessert. The wait staff was very kid friendly. After lunch, we walked over to Centenial park right next door and the kids played in the fountains. If you wanted to make it a day, you could do the Aquarium and/or the Coke museum, but that would be a bit crazy.

My kids also like Fernbank and the big dinosaurs. Check out if they have a special exihibit because that makes it more interesting.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:03 PM

If you want to do outdoorsy things and have time, drive up to Blue Ridge GA or some of the nearby mountain/lake towns even for the day. It's really beautiful up there. I'd recommend this over rafting down the Chatahoochee (do they even do this anymore? After they found the alligator last week, I wouldn't do it!)

Old 07-03-2007, 09:43 PM

oooh, I don't want to go with the alligators. Forgot about those. but I don't remember Atlanta having them? Pretty far north from them isn't it?

I love the Westin idea. He would love that. And I did see the Fernbank. He would love that..dinosaurs and lizards and snakes.... three of his most favorite things in the world.

And of course the obligatory water park. We just may do that, but I won't tell him in case we can't get over there. He loves water parks, but without a friend with him, I get to be the pal that goes on all the rides with him, lol : )

thanks for the ideas,

shelly

Old 07-04-2007, 01:39 PM

137 posts, read 739,671 times
There's also Callaway Gardens. They have a lot of fun stuff for kids to do during the summer. They have a website which shouldn't be too hard to find through google. I know we've gone to the lake there, biked, hiked, etc. Near Callaway is a Safari place which I've been wanting to visit. It is suppose to be great with real African animals in the wild (you drive through in your car or rent one of theirs). Very outdoorsy and not far from ATL. There is also a kangaroo conservatory north of ATL that I've heard is wonderful. The ATL Zoo is great (has a baby panda). There's also Stone Mountain, Noah's Ark, Lake Lanier (or Oconee, or Jackson). Really there is a lot to do.

HAVE FUN!!!!

Old 07-08-2007, 10:26 AM
fil

364 posts, read 1,627,869 times
I see that you're from VA Beach. We have a family retreat there.

How about ice skating in the middle of the Summer?
Check out the Ice Forum.

Dave and Busters or Malibu Grand Prix are also fun kid's places.

I second the Georgia Aquarium.
The Atl Zoo is not worth it unless you like Gorillas.

CNN center is fun, take the tour after the Westin.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:32 AM

53 posts, read 185,406 times
If you do go to Stone Mountain, the Yellow River Game Ranch isn't far away at all, in Lilburn. I've never been, but it's supposed to be fun.

I also love that Westin restauraunt idea. Glad I read about it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta