Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 11:49 AM

528 posts, read 1,290,249 times

Advertisements

but I pay about $16,000 in real estate taxes on a $675,000 house. I KNOW I can get the same size house there for less and the real estate taxes will be almost a third.

I just wonder about my husbands paycheck and other factors like insurance, taxes etc. Obviously, we will be getting a raise to move there but wonder if it's enough to uproot our whole family from here where my family is and the schools are a big concern for me in GA. You say the car insurance is higher there in GA? That would surprise me. I'm sure the gas would be less for cars. Right now it's about $2.92 for regular but we don't have long commutes to work and I am a stay at home mom so the gas isn't really a big factor for us. Our sales tax here is 8.875%. I believe it is a few percent less there. I don't know. We are still on the fence about this. My husbands company is possibly closing but he is guaranteed about a year there still with a nice check at the end but not sure we can pass something up down there if we have it available. It's hard to know what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 05:19 PM

32,056 posts, read 36,984,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginbuffalo View Post
Obviously, we will be getting a raise to move there but wonder if it's enough to uproot our whole family from here where my family is and the schools are a big concern for me in GA.
What schools are you worried about? The schools in North Fulton, Cobb and Gwinnett are as good as public schools anywhere.

From the tax standpoint you'll be saving a bundle in Georgia.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:35 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,088,765 times
https://etax.dor.ga.gov/salestax/sal...hart_Moore.pdf Sales Tax Rate by County. All Metro Atlanta Counties are 7%. The City of Atlanta Has a additional 1% added to places within the city limits.

Auto Ins is a bit higher then then I paid in PA. But have a bigger car now. Gas is 2.79 a gal in metro ATL, Income Taxes is 6% but if you open a 529 plan 2K is credited as a detuction, so thats a nice 6% bonus. Home owner taxes are lower my PA house & GA house are about the same value, and my GA taxes are 20%lower. Also Going into North Fulton, South Forsyth are not a real bad drive to SS Rush hour is about 30-45m to SS. A 1 yr, of a job in ATL, is riskly, Depending on what he does, and where those types of jobs are. But if he;s losing his job in NY, I guess having a job in is good. But I would start socking away the cash now, just in case.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:56 PM

Default Thanks all...no the job in Atlanta is not for one year, that is permanent,

it's the job in Buffalo that he's got only for a year left guaranteed. If company is sold, he could be retained but also could not be so it's a gamble.

I still have a hard time basing GA vs. NYS schools on any kind of greatschools.org. Your schools take GA standardized tests which are not the same as NY standardized tests. I have heard from some Buffalo transplants to GA that you will not get a NYS education. We moved from another county in this area to the school district we are in because it's the top in our area so schools are very important to us. Also, here a private school is not necessarily better just smaller. We wouldn't be making enough to move to take on an additional $12K per year for private school per kid. It just wouldn't make sense to have to pay that out. I want to tread lightly because I feel bad bashing schools I have no idea about but can only go on what I know from people I went to high school with here that have moved there.

Anyway, we're still checking things out and haven't decided what we are going to do. I really appreciate all the help. I KNOW I would meet wonderful people and be able to live in a great neighborhood with other great families and so I am not worried about that in the least. More worried about leaving my own family here and what is best for our kids. It's hard to know what to do. Thanks again

Old 10-24-2010, 08:23 PM

3,715 posts, read 6,025,666 times
One thing that's not negligible is the HOPE scholarship (not sure how long until your kids are in college). You essentially get 100% tuition paid if you keep a 3.0 GPA and go to an in state school--Georgia Tech, UGA, Georgia State, etc. These universities are rapidly improving as a result--UGA and Georgia Tech are now two of the best public schools in the south. This can be a pretty ridiculous benefit to living in Georgia--$30k easily.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:58 PM

Default Yes, that HOPE scholarship is definitely a plus...my hubby is all for that

but I hadn't even looked into what colleges and if they were good colleges or not. My kids are young but we have already started socking away for college so that is a complete plus!

Old 10-25-2010, 10:55 AM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,367,116 times
PaycheckCity.com | Paycheck Calculator

Old 10-25-2010, 04:40 PM

Default Thanks YBF. That's something that will be helpful to me if we decide against ATL for now...it

doesn't show a marked difference at all. So his paycheck won't be different (if I base it on same salary) but I still have no idea if that affects our state tax return? Some of those spots you have to fill out are numbers I have no idea about like number of deductions. I have no clue what those would be. Even when I got to the G-4 form, I still don't know what it would be. I guess I'd have to read how to fill them out in detail to really figure this all out. Thanks though.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:05 PM

90 posts, read 258,867 times
we used paycheckcity.com to approximate my take home pay and it ended up being pretty accurate once I go my first paycheck.

A friend of mine is from rochester,NY and she finds it cheaper here overall - the only exception is the gas and electric which are a bit higher.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:10 PM

90 posts, read 258,867 times
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf - this is what we used to approximate our deductions - of course there are others though - you are only going to be able to get a rough estimate but it won't be way off -

Oh and don't worry about the schools if you live in north fulton - they are great - I know people from NY and NJ who are really happy with the education their kids are getting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta