Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2010, 11:41 PM

74 posts, read 208,520 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into becoming a Conservation Ranger in the Atlanta area.

I would really like to get in contact with anyone working in this field to gather information. If you work for the BLM, USFS, DNS, it would be great to hear from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 06:30 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
you can check with Georgia DNR Georgia Department of Natural Resources Like Most States Georgia budgets is being cut. So it Unlikey that the state is hiring, Many in state gov. have been layed off, They would be the 1st re-hired before they hire from the outside. But the jobs will NOT be in the Atlanta area, they will be min 2hr from Atlanta. BLM is no where in the area. and National Forest are 3+ hours from ATL. Not sure what DNS is.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:43 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,451 times
There are some National Park Service areas along the Chattahoochee River where it runs through Atlanta and the north side. The main office for all the segments is in Roswell I believe. I'm not sure whether the game wardens that patrol those areas are federal or state. I'm fuzzy on all that. There's also Kennesaw Battlefield and the King center if you are open to historic in addition to wildlife conservation positions. Check USAjobs.gov for federal positions and the Georgia Department of Labor for state jobs.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:44 PM

74 posts, read 208,520 times
flyonpa wrote:

Quote:
Not sure what DNS is.
sorry, DNR. i have been reading so many acronyms lately, i don't know what i'm writing sometimes.

Quote:
So it Unlikey that the state is hiring, Many in state gov. have been layed off, They would be the 1st re-hired before they hire from the outside.
i was actually just reading a message forum and there was a guy posting saying that he is in the academy right now training to be a Conservation Ranger in Georgia. i think he said there were 4 recent hires.

i also read that there is a real shortage of Conservation Rangers in Georgia and that sometimes Rangers need to cover 2 or 3 counties and have a workload they can't keep up with anymore. some people got laid off and others flat out quit due to low pay/no raises. i guess if the budget doesn't allow for it then they can't hire, but with all those guys reaching retirement age soon, they'll have no choice.

Quote:
But the jobs will NOT be in the Atlanta area, they will be min 2hr from Atlanta.
i write that i'm in Atlanta for convenience purposes and to be slightly anonomous, but my wife's office is actually 30 miles outside of Atlanta. as long as the job wasn't in the deep south or along the coasts, we could find a place to live somewhere in between her office and my work. I'd be willing to have a long drive to work to get my foot in the door so i could persue this career, I'm very determined.

flyonpa, do you work in this profession?

What kind of training/courses could I do in the meantime to better prepare myself and make my resume more attractive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta