Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 09:40 PM

156 posts, read 433,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I would not live anywhere near Grant Park. You can count on being a crime victim. Either your house or your car will be broken into all the time
I love how someone who lives outside of the Perimeter knows so much about the in-town neighborhoods.

My wife and I love living in Grant Park. The park itself is great, the houses are nice, unique, full of character, and affordable, and our neighbors are awesome. We don't have kids yet, but many of our friends do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 12:32 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakhurstlauren View Post
The OP asked about neighborhoods inside the perimeter, all of them. It's baffling to me how many people on this forum that live in Mableton, or Canton, or even further OTP have so much insight on what currently goes on in the neighborhoods inside the perimeter. I don't pretend to know about neighborhoods I don't live/work/have day to day knowledge of. I can't understand why anyone else would. Panic Peddling seems to be a hobby for some here.
Mableton borders the Chatahoochie river. It is directly adjacent to Fulton County, and to the City of Atlanta. Even the house I live in is only 4 miles OTP. It isn't that far away.

I personally don't presume to understand life ITP except in places like Vinings where I've spent a significant amount of time, but I find it interesting that you seem to assume we're a significant distance away when it clearly isn't so.

I merely commented on the rather interesting comparison of "neighborhoods" to "suburbs". If you have other issues with what I've said, please address them directly to me without the soapbox.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:53 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Ok so now you worked in Kirkwood sometime back and you're an expert on Grant Park? How many cut phone lines from alleged burglars did you see in your ten years exactly?
You can live oh ever so much more safely in Cobb, and sit in your car commuting for 10+ hours a week. I wonder what the burglary to death and commute time to death ratios are anyway....
My own commute is perhaps 35 minutes a day (15 in, 20 out), mainly due to stoplights and a fairly slow speed limit (45mph for half, 35 for half) during a 7.8 mile drive to another location in Cobb. It's actually a pleasant drive.

I'm not sure how your engaging in the same uninformed speculation you accuse others of doing is helping the conversation?

Old 11-07-2010, 06:40 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I personally don't presume to understand life ITP except in places like Vinings where I've spent a significant amount of time, but I find it interesting that you seem to assume we're a significant distance away when it clearly isn't so.
In general the "ITP vs. OTP" distinction is pretty meaningless. The vast majority of the area inside 285 consists of single family suburban neighborhoods, as is the case outside the Perimeter.

There are urban areas both in and outside the Perimeter, but the notion that 285 defines some sort of urban boundary simply doesn't hold water.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:19 AM

461 posts, read 1,069,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Mableton borders the Chatahoochie river. It is directly adjacent to Fulton County, and to the City of Atlanta. Even the house I live in is only 4 miles OTP. It isn't that far away.

I merely commented on the rather interesting comparison of "neighborhoods" to "suburbs". If you have other issues with what I've said, please address them directly to me without the soapbox.
Ok yes sorry I did get off track, but that's why I don't comment on Cobb threads about things I don't know about. I was being sarcastic with the commute times comment for sure, sorry if that seemed to be a personal attack.
I am not sure how much more informed I can be on the original topic since I am in Grant Park 5 days a week dawn to dusk, work amongst many residents of Grant Park, and personally talk to the day watch in Grant Park multiple times a week.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:57 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,532,532 times
I lived in Grant Park about 4 or 5 years ago and still live relatively close. There are certain pockets that are worse than others. Basically the closer you get to the park the better the area is. I lived directly south of the park on Park Ave and had no trouble. I did hear far off gunshots a couple times.

I would avoid anything south of the RR tracks on Boulevard. The neighborhood around that area still has some catching up to do. I'd also try to find a place east of Hill St. Take a look at the area east of GP which is technically Ormewood/Glenwood Park.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:29 PM

262 posts, read 637,669 times
We lived in Inman Park when we first moved to Atlanta, 8 years ago. We loved it! I would recommend Inman Park, Candler Park, Poncey Highlands, or Decatur. I like EAV and Grant Park, they are just not centrally located for the stuff I like to do. I would be pretty comfortable living in most parts of Grant Park, though. My daughter went to preschool there last year and it is a very vibrant and beautiful neighborhood.

I have lived in one of the "worst" neighborhoods and in some of the best. Break-ins and petty crime have happened in both places.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:20 AM

25 posts, read 76,200 times
I've lived in Grant Park for 3 years now and crime seemed to peak about 2 years ago around when the Standard shooting happened. There were all kinds of incidents, daily. But then it stopped pretty abruptly and there has been virtually no crime in the last year+ .... there is the occasional incident, but not at all like some of the previous posters make it out to be where it's only a matter of time before you experience it. A lot of people joined the neighborhood security patrol and crime seems to have pretty much left the area. I've never personally had any issues, don't have a security system and park on the street and feel very safe.

Demographics seem to be majority white, mixed ages with some young and some old, but mostly 30-40 somethings with kids, very gay friendly. Kids everywhere. You can rent a nice old 2 BR/3BR house for ~$1600 mo, but they rent very quickly, like within a week of the sign going in the yard.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:39 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Glad to hear that Grant Park has the situation under control. It's such a great neighborhood and doesn't deserve to be picked on by mindless thugs.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:45 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Ok so now you worked in Kirkwood sometime back and you're an expert on Grant Park? How many cut phone lines from alleged burglars did you see in your ten years exactly?
You can live oh ever so much more safely in Cobb, and sit in your car commuting for 10+ hours a week. I wonder what the burglary to death and commute time to death ratios are anyway....
I saw so many of them I could not begin to count them all. More than a few every week in Grant Park, Kirkwood. Lessor so in Inman Park and almost none in Midtown. I am being truthful about my own experiences. Others may disagree. I only have my own personal observations. And my commute was more like 5 hours a week unless the weather really bit. I don't work there anymore. I finally got nuff seniority to transfer out. Now my commute is 10 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta