Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 06:27 PM

528 posts, read 1,284,823 times

Advertisements

I really liked it! I was so afraid of seeing crime or feeling unsafe because it seems like i keep reading so much about crime and armed robbery of shoppers in broad daylight in places like Buckhead. Should I have been nervous walking into Macy's at the Mall of Georgia? All I met all weekend were very polite white or black human beings waiting on me, asking me if I needed help, serving us drinks or food or just saying hello as I walked by.

We stayed in the northeast part of Duluth at a hotel and looked at homes in South Forsyth and North Fulton and the neighborhoods looked lovely as did the surrounding shopping areas. Am I going to have a huge culture shock if we move there coming from a primarily white affluent suburb of Buffalo, NY if I move to those areas? I don't want to feel like I'm going to get robbed when I take my child to the mall or to her school or to the supermarket. I felt so safe and really liked it there and then I come back on here tonight searching threads and find all of these scary threads about armed robbery and people getting murdered for their iphones! What's the real deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 06:52 PM

747 posts, read 1,545,046 times
PLEASE do not judge Atlanta by this forum. It is by no means a scientific assessment of the metro. Everyone has their own preconceived notions and fears that color their perceptionsof how safe it is here. It is not some lawless cesspool like some would lead you to believe; it's also not Candyland. It's a real-life (sub)urbanized area. And I don't think you need to fear for your life walking into the MoG .

Old 11-09-2010, 06:54 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,780,042 times
The real deal is Atlanta has the kind of crime most other major cities have. The city limits are really small, so when discussing city-proper it causes some statistical anomalies that make it seem worse than it really is.

As for the city of Atlanta... crime has actually been going down... quite considerably actually. We have removed all of our housing projects and put efforts into placing people into mixed income developments in the past 2 decades or so. There are some arguments that this doesn't produce enough housing for the poor, but it has had extremely positive effects at how the city is shaped and helped remove crime.

There is always crime stories and crime does exist, but we live in a metro area with over 5 million people too. I take those with a grain of salt. I always lock the doors of my house, car, and take basic safety precautions anywhere I go, but I have never felt unsafe here.

I have never heard of anything bad happening at the Mall of Georgia.... with that said watch someone find one really bad news article, but millions of people visit it every year without problem.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:54 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,373,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginbuffalo View Post
I really liked it! I was so afraid of seeing crime or feeling unsafe because it seems like i keep reading so much about crime and armed robbery of shoppers in broad daylight in places like Buckhead. Should I have been nervous walking into Macy's at the Mall of Georgia? All I met all weekend were very polite white or black human beings waiting on me, asking me if I needed help, serving us drinks or food or just saying hello as I walked by.

We stayed in the northeast part of Duluth at a hotel and looked at homes in South Forsyth and North Fulton and the neighborhoods looked lovely as did the surrounding shopping areas. Am I going to have a huge culture shock if we move there coming from a primarily white affluent suburb of Buffalo, NY if I move to those areas? I don't want to feel like I'm going to get robbed when I take my child to the mall or to her school or to the supermarket. I felt so safe and really liked it there and then I come back on here tonight searching threads and find all of these scary threads about armed robbery and people getting murdered for their iphones! What's the real deal?
No, Sweetie - You experienced the real deal that many of us live with day to day. Of course, the Northside is considered to be the most desirable area of the metro, but what you saw is not out of the ordinary for the majority of the area.

Just remember that we have more than our fair share of negative types on this forum that either enjoy stirring the pot, or have agendas for whatever reason. Of course, in any metro of over 5 million you need to keep your eyes open - but you saw what defines reality for most of us here.

So glad you had a nice visit.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:18 PM

625 posts, read 1,149,844 times
you weren't in Atlanta, sweetheart.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:25 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,373,515 times
^And here we go.......

Old 11-09-2010, 08:29 PM

16,708 posts, read 29,546,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
So glad you had a nice visit.

Me too.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:30 PM

16,708 posts, read 29,546,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
Oh yes the hell she was...

She was in Metro Atlanta...

Old 11-09-2010, 09:19 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,024,502 times
LOL at you for judging Atlanta because of post from people on here who don't even live in Georgia...LOL

Like I have said b4, as long as you are not living in bad areas and you are not selling drugs you will be ok

Old 11-09-2010, 10:57 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,975,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
You're quite right Blondie. She was in Gwinnettia!

You have nothing to fear, I promise. While the area is going to be more diverse, I'm sure it will be quite to your liking. Having been to Buffalo, it will most likely be more affluent. Welcome to the metro!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta