Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 01:15 PM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times

Advertisements

Lately when I read the paper, it seems like almost everyday there is someone getting murdered in Atlanta (sometimes 2 or 3). I know it's not something Atlantans are unfamiliar with (unfortunately), since Atlanta has been ranked in the top 3 in the U.S. for highest crime rate for many years, and it was especially bad pre-'96 Olympics. But the crime rate in ATL started decreasing continuously after the '96 Olympics, and around 2004 and 2005, crime in Atlanta has reached a 40-year low. It was also reflected in the rankings of the highest crimes list when Atlanta moved down from #3 to #7 in 2004, and even off the top 10 in 2005.

Is this the end of the progress that Atlanta has made? Is the only way to go back up? Or maybe it's not just Atlanta but a national trend. I really thoght that Mayor Shirley Franklin did a good job helping make ATL a cleaner, safer place than it used to be. I remember when the 2005 statistics came out that there was celebration within the Atlanta P.D. and city council, that crime was a thing of the past (of course there was still crime, but much less than before).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 11:30 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Most people forgot the controversy a few years back when the Feds discovered that the Atlanta police department um... "forgot" to log and record something like 20,000 crimes in one year on the books. There was a big stink about it and everyone claimed ignorance that it had happened, no one was responsible, it was a clerical error. Before they discovered this "error" stats showed a big decrease in crime in Atlanta which gave some nice bonuses to a few folks who head the police - but once it was discovered and the numbers put back in the stats, it shot right back up to some of the highest crime rates in the country (I don't remember hearing that the bonus checks got returned, though).

20,000 crimes not logged is a "clerical error".

Per capita Atlanta has still ranked up there way higher than New York. Few cities match it (such as New Orleans). Lately there have been some eyebrows raised about police chief Pennington's abilities (who by the way came from New Orleans). He is however, a close friend to the Mayor (surprise!).

It's not just inner Atlanta though - read through some of the smaller satellite city newspapers and you'll see a trend in crime increases throughout the metro area. You do need to remember that after Katrina, the metro area "inherited" an estimated 80,000 people from the New Orleans area - many legit victims, but some criminals migrated with them, too. Just as Houston saw a rise in certain crimes post-Katrina, so did Atlanta.

Without major changes in leadership however, chances are things won't change. Clark Howard (the financial guy who lives in Atlanta) has recently said he's considering a run for the next Mayorial election in Atlanta. I think it's a great idea.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:38 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,631 times
Clark Howard running? I'd like to see that!

Old 05-16-2007, 04:04 PM

985 posts, read 5,758,569 times
Yes, demographic in city of Atlanta changed rapidly as more wealthy folks move to city. Clark howard said he is maybe running and IMO, he maybe even have a chance to win it. That's just unthinkable even a couple of years ago.

Old 05-17-2007, 06:35 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxu66 View Post
Yes, demographic in city of Atlanta changed rapidly as more wealthy folks move to city. Clark howard said he is maybe running and IMO, he maybe even have a chance to win it. That's just unthinkable even a couple of years ago.

A chance? If Clark Howard runs he will win in the biggest landslide in the history of democratic elections.

That's my prediction.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:09 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times
My concern is if Atlanta is the only city where crime is going up. The crime rate of San Diego and Los Angeles have dropped a lot so far this year, but I'm not sure how the other cities are doing. I just don't want Atlanta to be the laughing-stock of the nation.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:29 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
We have a lot of New Orleans folks who came here after Katrina. Not all of them are good people. A certain percentage are commiting crimes. That has contributed to our rise in crime.

Old 05-23-2007, 03:59 PM

539 posts, read 2,102,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
My concern is if Atlanta is the only city where crime is going up. The crime rate of San Diego and Los Angeles have dropped a lot so far this year, but I'm not sure how the other cities are doing. I just don't want Atlanta to be the laughing-stock of the nation.
I don't think that Atlanta would be a laughing stock of the nation. If I'm not mistaken (going from memory here) Camden, NJ is #1 for the worst crime in the nation.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:12 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,342,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_mommy View Post
I don't think that Atlanta would be a laughing stock of the nation. If I'm not mistaken (going from memory here) Camden, NJ is #1 for the worst crime in the nation.
Camden dropped to #5. East St. Louis is now #1. Although judging from a recent trip to Camden I can't see how.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:17 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
I travel up to Philly and the Camden area once a quarter. One can say Camden is a nasty place and not be accused of fibbing, it is!
With this said, Atlanta is quadruple the size of Camden so it is hard to make a comparison. Camden itself is about the size of Gainesville.

When I look at Atlanta I see a diamond in the rough, make that very rough.
So much potential, so much promise. The issue is leadership which this city has not had in decades. I hope Greg is right and Clark does run, but even with his radio show I doubt he would have much of a chance.

Oh yes, while in the ATL you still want to proceed with caution.

Last edited by jxu66; 05-23-2007 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: I will pm Georgia with China info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: