Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 01:10 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,388,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko339 View Post
I alwys wanted to create an alternate version of Hooters, with muscled male waiters in tight shorts. Call it Peckers.
That's funny-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 05:54 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,046,156 times
Yes, I think many don't realize what all is in Midtown. On the cheap end there is Jason Deli's by Piedmont Park, a great gyro place called Pita Republic by the Fox, Willies by the park, 5 guys burgers is going in the Spire building, Little Azio -- just to name a few. There really are a ton of places if you know the areas.

Quote:
Lol maybe the Midtown Alliance should also start a campaign to educate the public on what's already there.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:58 PM

Yes. Please local places instead of chains. I personally would love to see a local food co-op type store with a good wine selection and prepared foods. I think the focus of the midtown mile is more shopping and less restaurants as there are already a lot of them. Even a Alon's type store in midtown would be great.

A local coffee shop would be great too and a local bookstore with a cafe.

Quote:
I think that's far too prominent a site across from the city's cultural heart for a down market chain. Something local, creative, and mid priced would be better there.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:20 PM

Just looked at the survey -- Very disappointing. First, Midtown mile runs from North Ave and north on Peachtree and the survey refers to 5th to 15th street. 2nd, the survey does not appear to be designed to get the best answers, very open ended.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:41 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,018,880 times
Midtown needs more upscale nightlife. More lounges and upscale clubs

Old 02-15-2011, 12:34 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,032 times
Midtown needs a bar district. Nightlife in Midtown shouldn't be solely clubs. It has a few like Twisted Taco and Deadwood but it could really use a concentrated strip of 5-8 low-key bars right near each other. It would probably do well, especially if it was located near Tech so the nerds have a bar or two to frequent on thier monthly night out. It also would be cool to have a bar district to walk to after a game at Grant Field. Right near Tech Square would be a great spot.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:53 AM

3,708 posts, read 5,984,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Midtown needs a bar district. Nightlife in Midtown shouldn't be solely clubs. It has a few like Twisted Taco and Deadwood but it could really use a concentrated strip of 5-8 low-key bars right near each other. It would probably do well, especially if it was located near Tech so the nerds have a bar or two to frequent on thier monthly night out. It also would be cool to have a bar district to walk to after a game at Grant Field. Right near Tech Square would be a great spot.
Agree. This is my biggest complaint: can we just have a normal bar where you can sit down and have a beer around here? If Manny's were located in Midtown, my life would be complete.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:13 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,349,235 times
^We usually go to Cypress Pint and Plate after class which is 2 blocks away in the Biltmore. On Peachtree there's Vortex, Taco Mac, Gordon Biersch and Hudson Grill. Up near 12th st there's the Crescent Ave strip of bars. Sure it'd be nice to have some dive bars further south in Midtown that aren't homogenized chains but w/ still relatively high rents, I wouldn't expect many to be successful. Honestly, I haven't stopped and thought about the difficulty of finding a beer since moving to Midtown given there's a decent selection of places available. I'd definitely still love to see more down near 7th St area since I don't make the walk up to 12th all that often.

Graveyard Tavern going to Tech Square:
Owners of The Graveyard Tavern in East Atlanta Village to open Barrelhouse | what now, atlanta?

Old 05-06-2011, 03:57 PM

747 posts, read 1,544,104 times
Developers rethinking 'Midtown Mile' concept | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta (http://clatl.com/freshloaf/archives/2011/05/06/developers-rethinking-midtown-mile-concept - broken link)

Finally the planners have met reality and scaled the plans back a bit. Prada and Dolce & Gabanna are out, local and regional cheap chic is in.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:19 PM

3,708 posts, read 5,984,814 times
Quote:
Developers rethinking 'Midtown Mile' concept | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta (http://clatl.com/freshloaf/archives/2011/05/06/developers-rethinking-midtown-mile-concept - broken link)

Finally the planners have met reality and scaled the plans back a bit. Prada and Dolce & Gabanna are out, local and regional cheap chic is in.
No problem for me--I think traditional retail is pretty overrated anyways. Let Phipps have it. We have smaller niche stores, dining, entertainment, and nightlife here in Midtown. That's the stuff I actually am willing to pay a premium to live near.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta