Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 09:12 AM

118 posts, read 299,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
That aspect of southern culture would be more typical of South Georgia.

'Different style clothing'---overalls??

like people working on farms or with horses. Do people farm in north Georgia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 09:26 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,271,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike7300 View Post
like people working on farms or with horses. Do people farm in north Georgia?
Not many actual working farms in the metro Atlanta region but there are lots of horse farms in the metro area. Where I live in northwest Cobb county there are too many to count. If you want working farms middle and south GA is where they are located. North GA not so much.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:24 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,532,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike7300 View Post
so how far outside the city do you have to go to hear lots of southern accents, or different style clothing?
More like the farmer/cowboy look. Or does that not exist in the south anymore?
There are a few spots in north Georgia where some people are into that. You have to get pretty far out though. One place in particular is around the Calhoun area which is about 1.5 hours north of Atlanta. There are a decent amount of small ranches and farms up that way. Still though, I think the cowboy thing is big only with the younger rural types. Most people don't dress that way because they work as ranchers or farmers. They do it because they think it's cool.

I think the east metro has some decent ranch spreads but I only know from hearsay. I'm not that familiar with the area.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:34 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
Well, I've also lived in Fayetteville for about 5 years, which I consider a suburb of Atlanta. I'll have to stand by my opinions, especially the "red-state" ones (which, I know, are MUCH more noticeable inside Fayette county).

Besides, as an "outsider", my opinions are simply what I perceive to be as major cultural differences to Boston, and things I had to adjust to when I moved here.
Well, I don't live in the city, but I do live ITP. I have a lot of friends that live in the burbs, though - and family outside of Cartersville.

After 24 years here, I have never experienced any of the things you listed, most especially the Deliverence references (and I go to the mountains frequently). I've learned it's really not a good idea to discuss politics with anyone that isn't a close friend, and I have had zero problems. I also love the way casual conversations with total strangers here happen all the time. I have never experienced that in New England - be it Boston, Portsmouth or Ogonquit.

If an out gay guy can move about the metro & State with no issues, I honestly believe anyone can.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:38 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
There are a few spots in north Georgia where some people are into that. You have to get pretty far out though. One place in particular is around the Calhoun area which is about 1.5 hours north of Atlanta. There are a decent amount of small ranches and farms up that way. Still though, I think the cowboy thing is big only with the younger rural types. Most people don't dress that way because they work as ranchers or farmers. They do it because they think it's cool.

I think the east metro has some decent ranch spreads but I only know from hearsay. I'm not that familiar with the area.
Yeah, there are some truck farms scattered about out east, but agriculture is huge in Middle & South Georgia. It never really was so much in this part of the State. Of course, there are small exceptions here and there....

Old 11-19-2010, 03:42 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I've learned it's really not a good idea to discuss politics with anyone that isn't a close friend, and I have had zero problems. I also love the way casual conversations with total strangers here happen all the time. I have never experienced that in New England - be it Boston, Portsmouth or Ogonquit.

If an out gay guy can move about the metro & State with no issues, I honestly believe anyone can.
True. Sometimes its just the little comments people make about political issues, etc. For instance at work the other day a lady was complaining about 'those *****s' touching her son at the TSA... I couldn't help but just turn my head and look at her incredulously. Then again, it is Carrollton.

I definitely do like how outwardly friendly people are, and how children address elders as 'sir' and ma'am'. I forgot to mention that..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta