Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 09:04 AM

10 posts, read 38,147 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Does anybody have comments about the IB Program in Marietta? I'm considering Marietta High school as an option for our kids, and would love some overall comments about living in this school district with high school kids. Also would love advice on other possible good areas with good high schools I should consider. We work from home, so commute is not an issue. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 06:10 PM

I found in the forum more info on Marietta IB program. My question now is: does anyone know what the boundaries are for Marietta city schools vs county schools? I couldn't find that on the district website, but maybe I'm not looking in the right place .. Many thanks !!

Old 12-05-2010, 06:49 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,890,085 times
You can find the County School District maps here: Planning Department

I believe the Marietta City Schools boundary would simply follow the City of Marietta boundary.

Most people moving to Cobb County would not be focusing on City of Marietta schools as their first choice. I don't know anything against Marietta High, but some of the county schools have bigger reputations. Could it be that you're moving from a part of the country where you assume that any unincorporated area will be rural or semi-rural and have substandard services? If so, it's not like that in Cobb County. Some of the most affluent parts of the county with the highest scoring schools (on SAT etc.) are in unincorporated Cobb County.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:53 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceplace View Post
I found in the forum more info on Marietta IB program. My question now is: does anyone know what the boundaries are for Marietta city schools vs county schools? I couldn't find that on the district website, but maybe I'm not looking in the right place .. Many thanks !!
Rainy is right: The Marietta City Schools and thus Marietta High School follow the boundaries of the City of Marietta. Here is a helpful map of the Marietta City School District:

http://www.marietta-city.org/files/d...nceZoneMap.pdf

Marietta High School is a good school with an awesome IB program.

More helpful information:

Marietta High School - Contact Us

Marietta High School - IB Diploma Program

Marietta High School - Academics

Marietta High School - Curriculum

Marietta High School

Marietta High School - School Profile

Marietta High School - Principal's Welcome

Old 12-06-2010, 03:11 PM

426 posts, read 2,321,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
You can find the County School District maps here: Planning Department

I believe the Marietta City Schools boundary would simply follow the City of Marietta boundary.

Most people moving to Cobb County would not be focusing on City of Marietta schools as their first choice. I don't know anything against Marietta High, but some of the county schools have bigger reputations. Could it be that you're moving from a part of the country where you assume that any unincorporated area will be rural or semi-rural and have substandard services? If so, it's not like that in Cobb County. Some of the most affluent parts of the county with the highest scoring schools (on SAT etc.) are in unincorporated Cobb County.
While the schools in East Cobb are top notch they do not compare with the rigour of an IB program so I can see why the OP is intersted in IB schools, they offer a supeior public education.

To the original OP I am not familiar with the specifics of the program at Marietta High. But I am with the one at Campbell which has an excellent program, very supportive. The kids are loaded with alot of work but still have social lives. This balance I think is important to make sure your high schooler is getting. If the work load boggs them down so much all they can do is study, AP might be a better option, much easier in comparison. Also with Campbell you can live anywhere in Cobb County(outside Marietta City limits) including East Cobb which is a nicer place to live than most of Matietta proper. East Cobb is very well represented at Campbell's IB program too.

I tired to find some info comparing the SAT scores for Marietta's and Campbell's IB programs to Walton, Pope, and Lassiter's. Wasn't successful. If anyone else might know where to find the stats for the performance of these specific programs(outside of IB Test scores) I'd appreciate it. Just a curiosity thing.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:54 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,890,085 times
I think it's an interesting question, too. When my child was in 8th grade in East Cobb, a teacher mentioned that in his opinion, the AP courses at the local high school were much more rigorous than the magnet school's IB curriculum. This is just anecdotal, of course. I suspect if one was far superior to the other on all criteria, we'd see more information to that effect. I suspect both have merit and the differences may be somewhat subjective.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:47 AM

Thank you so much for all your comments. Yes, I am interested on the IB program for my children. It seems that my options are: Marietta HS, Campbell (but this one has a competitive application process and we will only be there in the Spring, so I'm concerned about availability of spots) and Norcross. Anyone has any information on Norcross school and IB program?
I also heard City of Decatur schools offer IB, but it seems they only offer MYP and not the Diploma ... I believe both AP and IB programs are excellent, and it's a matter of a better fit for the student. I am thinking that my kids could benefit more from an IB type program. I appreciate comments from parents of kids in IB, as I haven't really met anyone going through it yet.
Thanks again for all comments, suggestions, thoughts, etc !!!

Old 12-07-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceplace View Post
Thank you so much for all your comments. Yes, I am interested on the IB program for my children. It seems that my options are: Marietta HS, Campbell (but this one has a competitive application process and we will only be there in the Spring, so I'm concerned about availability of spots) and Norcross. Anyone has any information on Norcross school and IB program?
I also heard City of Decatur schools offer IB, but it seems they only offer MYP and not the Diploma ... I believe both AP and IB programs are excellent, and it's a matter of a better fit for the student. I am thinking that my kids could benefit more from an IB type program. I appreciate comments from parents of kids in IB, as I haven't really met anyone going through it yet.
Thanks again for all comments, suggestions, thoughts, etc !!!
Since Campbell is a magnet, you should probably continue to look into:

Marietta High
Norcross High

and start looking into:

Druid Hills High

Old 12-07-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Since Campbell is a magnet, you should probably continue to look into:

Marietta High
Norcross High

and start looking into:

Druid Hills High

More information:

Druid Hills IB
- Druid Hills High School

Norcross IB
Norcross High School
IB Diploma Programme - Norcross
C.A.S. - Norcross

Old 12-07-2010, 10:00 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,752,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Rainy is right: The Marietta City Schools and thus Marietta High School follow the boundaries of the City of Marietta. Here is a helpful map of the Marietta City School District:

http://www.marietta-city.org/files/d...nceZoneMap.pdf

Marietta High School is a good school with an awesome IB program.

More helpful information:

Marietta High School - Contact Us

Marietta High School - IB Diploma Program

Marietta High School - Academics

Marietta High School - Curriculum

Marietta High School

Marietta High School - School Profile

Marietta High School - Principal's Welcome

Are you serious? Marietta High School?

There are plenty other IB and Magna schools in Marietta, besides Marietta High School. More new and better schools in Kennesaw.

East Cobb is good, then you graduate and go to Joseph Wheeler High.

Walton is little far, but it's ok...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta