Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 01:27 PM

114 posts, read 185,998 times

Advertisements

Ok so I'm a little (ok A LOT) indecisive.... My husband can transfer to 1 of 2 places: Dallas or Atlanta. I thought I was sold on Dallas but because of the location of Atlanta (a little closer to family which really isnt that big of a deal for us) I thought I should at least consider both places. I need help deciding which place may be best
We're a young AA couple (21 and 22), we're both from Jersey but lived in Philadelphia and Richmond (and I have also lived in Charlotte). We are MARRIED and I'm not clear on whether ATL is good for a young married couple (I would like to stay married which has been my hang up with Atlanta, but maybe that fear is a all in my head. We are not really into the whole Atlanta wins because its a Black mecca, that does not make it more attractive or unattractive to us. We LOVE being in a city with a lot of stuff to do.We like to go out (lounges, sophisticated clubs and bars... nothing to wild or trashy or ghetto), and I'm in college for design.
What we are looking for in a city is some culture, organic food options (whole foods or something similar), REASONABLE rent (1 bdr 1 bath $700 is what we don't want to go over), and really good shopping! What is a better choice for us. And for the ATL people is Atlanta good for a young married couple and what area's might be good for us?

Ohh and the last thing to mention is that his job would be in Braselton and we ABSOLUTELY DO NOT WANT TO LIVE THERE... So keeping that in mind he would most likely be commuting from somewhere closer to the city of Atlanta (which is fine we're used to traffic, we can be up to 1hr or so away)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 01:36 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,022,098 times
Atlanta wins hands down. You will be closer to home (NJ).

Atlanta is home of the worlds largest airport so you will have direct flights home. You are closer to the beach in Atlanta.

Atlanta has more way more entertainment, more happy hours, more nightlife, better clubs, more plays, concerts, etc

Atlanta has more shopping options, Atlanta has more trees and the city looks better than Dallas, etc.

I would not worry about getting a divorce in Atlanta, cheating will happen no matter where you live. The ratio of men to women in Atlanta is even so dont believe the stats that say it's 20 women to 1 man.

I would move to Lawrenceville if I were you. Easy commute to Braselton.

Last edited by tonygeorgia; 12-15-2010 at 01:47 PM..

Old 12-15-2010, 01:49 PM

56 posts, read 52,975 times
What does your husband do? Why would you be afraid of getting a divorce in Atlanta?

Old 12-15-2010, 01:49 PM

Yes that stat about 20 women to 1 man in ATL was really worrying me lol... Not that I dont trust my husband but that stat is REALLY unbalanced... good to know thats not true. I'm going to check out Lawenceville apartments online... Atlanta is MUCH closer to home then Dallas which gives it a slight advantage from that aspect especially since a lot of my family also lives in Richmond and my best friend lives in Charlotte.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:52 PM

My husband is a CDL driver and warehouse manager. I was only afraid of divorce because I've heard so many crazy stories about Atlanta (but I'm starting to think its just an urban legend in the north LOL)

Old 12-15-2010, 01:56 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,022,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineDS07 View Post
Yes that stat about 20 women to 1 man in ATL was really worrying me lol... Not that I dont trust my husband but that stat is REALLY unbalanced... good to know thats not true. I'm going to check out Lawenceville apartments online... Atlanta is MUCH closer to home then Dallas which gives it a slight advantage from that aspect especially since a lot of my family also lives in Richmond and my best friend lives in Charlotte.

Check the area between Lawrenceville, Buford, and Suwanee....

3 hour drive to CHarlotte

Male/Female population
Atlanta City Data, Neighborhood Community Profiles, Atlanta Demographics (http://profiles.nationalrelocation.com/Georgia/Atlanta/ - broken link)

Old 12-15-2010, 02:06 PM

Do you need public transit? Are you looking for a artsy and/or walkable neighborhood?

Old 12-15-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NationalistFighter View Post
Do you need public transit? Are you looking for a artsy and/or walkable neighborhood?
Yes and Yes... All 3 would be really good (artsy, walkable, and close to public transit) but I'm not sure with our budget and staying in a safe neighborhood... if all that would be possible

Old 12-15-2010, 02:21 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Check out old town/historic/downtown parts of Norcross, Suwanee, and Lawrenceville.

-Artsy
-Walkable
-Bus routes
-Closer to Atlanta City Proper
-A good commute to Braselton
-Great Shopping and other conveniences nearby
-Safe

Old 12-15-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineDS07 View Post
Yes and Yes... All 3 would be really good (artsy, walkable, and close to public transit) but I'm not sure with our budget and staying in a safe neighborhood... if all that would be possible
How much are you willing to spend? I'll ask that first before suggesting walkable in-town neighborhoods as you won't get as much bang for your buck.

Last edited by NationalistFighter; 12-15-2010 at 02:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta