Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 11:34 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,696,275 times

Advertisements

What are some of the most underrated ATL neighborhoods.

I'm specifically speaking of neighborhoods with an ATL address (not suburbs if that helps). Our family likes to explore, but there are still plenty of neighborhoods we haven't set foot in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2021, 01:40 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times
I know it's way out past the perimeter, but Niskey Lake is pretty cool. You can still get some decent elbow room out there. Interesting history, too.

Old 04-27-2021, 02:13 PM

450 posts, read 271,367 times
I feel kind of ridiculous having this as my answer, but honestly, Midtown. It's wild how cheap really nice, B+/A- apartments are. It's a legitimate urban core but without the absurd cost-of-living of other cities. Downtown and Midtown are the only parts of Atlanta I actually like (Downtown has a ways to go, obviously, but it's crawling there).

As for overrated, don't even get me started on the eastside neighborhoods (Inman Park, etc). Atlanta's massive sprawl starts the second you take a single step east of Piedmont Avenue, so the eastside is just so disconnected from the rest of the city. Those neighborhoods are half-city/half-suburb in a way that really grates on my nerves.

Old 04-27-2021, 02:36 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,848,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post

I'm specifically speaking of neighborhoods with an ATL address (not suburbs if that helps). Our family likes to explore, but there are still plenty of neighborhoods we haven't set foot in.
Can you highlight a few neighborhoods/areas that you have already visited to help narrow down the list?

Or, you can let us know the general areas that you have not visited and we can pinpoint specific neighborhoods with in those areas…

Last edited by equinox63; 04-27-2021 at 02:46 PM..

Old 04-28-2021, 03:56 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,848,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smocaine View Post
As for overrated, don't even get me started on the eastside neighborhoods (Inman Park, etc). Atlanta's massive sprawl starts the second you take a single step east of Piedmont Avenue, so the eastside is just so disconnected from the rest of the city. Those neighborhoods are half-city/half-suburb in a way that really grates on my nerves.
It sounds like Atlanta may not be the city for you. Based on the comment above, it seems like you were hoping that Atlanta is something that it is not. I can’t think of any city in the SE United States that is as urban as you are describing.

But then again, I guess people in other major cities can only live in the most urbanized neighborhoods and never really need to venture to other parts of their cities...

Many on here have argued that neighborhoods like Inman Park, Reynoldstown, Edgewood, Kirkwood, etc. are too urban for their tastes. Nevertheless, all of those areas from Inman Park to the east were originally conceived as suburbs. So that may be why they have a relatively suburban feel to you.

However, once you leave the CoA and cross into unincorporated DeKalb (say at Memorial and Candler for example), the vibe completely changes and you can definitely tell that you’ve crossed the border into the true suburbs and are not in the city anymore....

Last edited by equinox63; 04-28-2021 at 04:17 AM..

Old 04-28-2021, 10:14 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,993,218 times
Quote:

That depends on what you're looking for. Are you looking for best schools, most walkable, most likely to appreciate rapidly. Give us more info.

Old 04-28-2021, 11:10 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,696,275 times
Mostly just coffee shops, indie boutiques, general quaintness

Old 04-29-2021, 12:04 PM

163 posts, read 306,846 times
Underrated is somewhat subjective term. In terms of getting intown for not a lot of money, and in a way that your investment would grow, the ”sleeper” area is the corridor, and associated streets, along Metropolitan Pkwy from Adair area - University Avenue into Hapeville. Also consider nearby places near Perkerson Park and Sylvan Rd as it comes out of West end. And over into Perkerson Woods. These locales are minutes from downtown (don't even need to get on the express way) or the airport. Near movie studios and the amphitheater. It was coming up when the crash in 2006 stopped lots of plans including possible Home Depot entering what used to be Stewart Lakewood shopping center (CrossRoads). This area is still rough and tumble and you might be taking a chance depending on where you land - I grew up there and know it like the back of my hand so if anyone has any questions, would be glad to answer them. Still waiting for the new Police Precinct to open which should help.

Old 04-29-2021, 12:34 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Mostly just coffee shops, indie boutiques, general quaintness
I know it's a suburb, but have you guys checked out Downtown Decatur yet? To me, it feels like it's a City neighborhood - as it pretty much functions as one.

Old 04-29-2021, 12:59 PM

859 posts, read 2,119,723 times
I agree so subjective, but I always enjoy visiting and hanging out with friends in the Ormewood Park and Cabbagetown area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta