Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2011, 10:05 PM

2 posts, read 1,787 times

Advertisements

Hello all, i just found this site, so hopefully someone can help me out......whats a good area to move to????????

It is a great possibility that i will be starting a new job with dekalb county gov't---in tucker, ga. I am single female in her 30's/no kids.... Moving from chicago....the job starts feb 21st.... I just found out about this site. Any help will be appreciated.

I will be moving with family initially, for at least 3-6 months. Then i will be in the market for an apartment. I am not looking to spend more than $7-900.

Thank you in advance....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 10:10 AM

109 posts, read 166,318 times
tucker itself is actually a good place, IMO.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:15 AM

562 posts, read 1,790,954 times
For a single female, for $900 you could get an apartment almost everywhere, it really depends what you are looking for. From Downtown its only a 20 min drive.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:25 AM

198 posts, read 421,994 times
agree, a good place to live and should not be a problem with your budget for rent!

Old 01-12-2011, 03:17 AM

2 posts, read 1,787 times
thank you all....I did some research, I may need to move quicker, my sister lives in college park....a bit of a distance....

Old 01-12-2011, 08:03 AM

3,711 posts, read 5,988,983 times
College Park to Tucker isn't ideal but is hardly a bad commute by Atlanta (or Chicago) standards, at least temporarily.

Do you want to live intown or in suburbs? College Park is considered intown.

If you prefer intown living, take your time exploring the different neighborhoods starting from downtown heading eastwards: Old Fourth Ward, Inman Park, Grant Park, Cabbagetown, Virginia Highland, Poncey Highland, Chandler Park, Decatur--there are a variety of safety levels and price points, but these are all areas worth a look. Atlanta is a city of neighborhoods, so it's probably worth checking out a bunch of different ones and getting a feel for their unique character and choosing the one that appeals to you the most. $700-$900 will buy you different things in each area, but in all of these it should at least buy you an okay 1BR.

If you want to be closer to your sister, College Park gets a bad rap on here but for those of us who bother to go there and check it out, it's a decent enough place. There are some nice neighborhoods and a pleasant downtown strip with public transit. Ditto East Point and Hapeville--those are the "tri-cities" of Atlanta's south side. They are nice enough places but some people do not want to put their kids through the schools there. I would certainly not look at the nearby areas within the City of Atlanta proper--some of those areas are extremely rough, such as Cleveland Avenue & Metropolitan Parkway.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:17 AM

109 posts, read 166,318 times
College park isn't bad in and of itself, but I have to respectfully disagree with the previous poster regarding the commute. I find traffic here to be a bear, particularly on the 285 and 400 highways - once they get jammed, they are jammed. So my philosophy is, if the possibility of a bad, or unnecessarily long commute for the distance that you'd be traveling is a potential problem for you, I'd opt to live as convenient as possible to places I intend to travel to on a daily basis. For apartments, I would recommend using Forrent.com or Apartments, houses for rent, find an apartment, search rental properties - Move.com they tend to have a good amount of info. Also, to note, a lot of apartments here will have specials if you call them. So, even if an apartment is listed at $1000, you may be able to get the price knocked down into your budget. You could also use an apartment locator service, but that would not be my first choice unless you are lucky enough to get a person who is willing to really listen to what you want vs trying to score commission.

Last edited by ssankofa; 01-12-2011 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: correction and added info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta