Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 11:52 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,271,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Atlanta View Post
I know right. Then they wonder why black don't like the party.
What if whites voted for Republicans at a rate that Blacks vote for the Democrats? Can you honestly say that you wouldnt have a problem with that? What if only 1% of white Georgians voted for the Democrats in this last general primary? Honestly think about that and you will see how absurb it is for blacks to vote almost exclusively for one political party. Its as if blacks dont understand that the Democrats know that they will have your vote regardless so you have taken away ALL of your political clout! I can guarantee you that if Blacks started to leave the Democrat party you would see ACTUAL results from the Dem's instead of the empty promises that have been thrown your way for the last 40 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I can't believe a full one percent of Georgia blacks voted Republican. That's outrageous. Given the current state of the Republican party, I'd expect the percentage to be much lower ... more like .001 percent, if that.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:57 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,004,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
What if whites voted for Republicans at a rate that Blacks vote for the Democrats? Can you honestly say that you wouldnt have a problem with that? What if only 1% of white Georgians voted for the Democrats in this last general primary?
That's because there is a tangible reason why African-Americans do not vote in large numbers for Republicans, there is not one for "Whites" as a whole.

Quote:
Honestly think about that and you will see how absurb it is for blacks to vote almost exclusively for one political party. Its as if blacks dont understand that the Democrats know that they will have your vote regardless so you have taken away ALL of your political clout! I can guarantee you that if Blacks started to leave the Democrat party you would see ACTUAL results from the Dem's instead of the empty promises that have been thrown your way for the last 40 years.
The bolded part above sums up exactly why African-Americans vote the way they do. Why exactly would I vote for a party in which some (ok a lot) of the members don't even think I'm smart enough to make an informed opinion of whom I'm voting for?

Old 01-04-2011, 12:09 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
Honestly think about that and you will see how absurb it is for blacks to vote almost exclusively for one political party.
That's a valid point, but you have to agree that the Right has done a pretty thorough job of alienating potential black voters. Just look at this board. "Show me one advanced civilization that has been founded by black people." "All you people want is a check." "Your unspoken agenda is to get white people to pay reparations." "Hey, we offered you Liberia, isn't that enough to make up for 350 years of slavery?" "The Founding Fathers in this country were all white and it was their wisdom that made us great."

If you were black, would you want to hitch your wagon to a movement that's constantly firing off messages like that?

Old 01-04-2011, 12:41 PM

16,706 posts, read 29,537,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That's a valid point, but you have to agree that the Right has done a pretty thorough job of alienating potential black voters. Just look at this board. "Show me one advanced civilization that has been founded by black people." "All you people want is a check." "Your unspoken agenda is to get white people to pay reparations." "Hey, we offered you Liberia, isn't that enough to make up for 350 years of slavery?" "The Founding Fathers in this country were all white and it was their wisdom that made us great."

If you were black, would you want to hitch your wagon to a movement that's constantly firing off messages like that?
Well said.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:48 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,108,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It is tone deaf, to use the current phrase. Republicans can win on sheer numbers right now, but before long their traditional constituency will no longer be a majority. If they don't change their pitch to reach out to minorities (especially Hispanics) the Democrats will ultimately win on demographics.
You're making an awful lot of assumptions about the future. First of all, important changes in immigration policy could thwart a white minority, or at least postpone it to 2060 and beyond. Second of all, if you look at recent polls, Hispanics are not as loyal to Democrats when compared to blacks. In fact, some say that if the Republicans were the first to run a Hispanic presidential candidate (Marco Rubio), many Hispanics would vote for him. Lastly, around 50% of Hispanics are white. What makes you so sure that the white Hispanics won't be absorbed into the overall white population, and thus not even be considered "minority"?

Old 01-04-2011, 12:52 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
You're making an awful lot of assumptions about the future. First of all, important changes in immigration policy could thwart a white minority, or at least postpone it to 2060 and beyond. Second of all, if you look at recent polls, Hispanics are not as loyal to Democrats when compared to blacks. In fact, some say that if the Republicans were the first to run a Hispanic presidential candidate (Marco Rubio), many Hispanics would vote for him. Lastly, around 50% of Hispanics are white. What makes you so sure that the white Hispanics won't be absorbed into the overall white population, and thus not even be considered "minority"?
You could be right.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
You're making an awful lot of assumptions about the future. First of all, important changes in immigration policy could thwart a white minority, or at least postpone it to 2060 and beyond.
Not likely, especially since whites in European countries have even lower birth rates than Whites in America.

Quote:
Second of all, if you look at recent polls, Hispanics are not as loyal to Democrats
when compared to blacks. In fact, some say that if the Republicans were the first to run a Hispanic presidential candidate (Marco Rubio), many Hispanics would vote for him. Lastly, around 50% of Hispanics are white. What makes you so sure that the white Hispanics won't be absorbed into the overall white population, and thus not even be considered "minority"?
You are confusing first generation Cubans exiles and to an extent their children, who are admittedly very conservative Republicans, with Latinos at large. Their experience in this country is much different than Latinos from other parts of Central and South America and Mexico. I mean, why would a young Latino kid in Arizona who has to show his ID to prove he is a citizen (even though he was born there) due to the immigration laws passed by the Republican government there vote Republican?

Old 01-04-2011, 01:33 PM

[quote=waronxmas;17256034]Not likely, especially since whites in European countries have even lower birth rates than Whites in America.

You are confusing first generation Cubans exiles and to an extent their children, who are admittedly very conservative Republicans, with Latinos at large. Their experience in this country is much different than Latinos from other parts of Central and South America and Mexico. I mean, why would a young Latino kid in Arizona who has to show his ID to prove he is a citizen (even though he was born there) due to the immigration laws passed by the Republican government there vote Republican?[/quote]

WOW, ignorance is bliss!

You are aware that the law you referenced was struck down by some left leaning judge and was NEVER able to even be enforced.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
WOW, ignorance is bliss!

You are aware that the law you referenced was struck down by some left leaning judge and was NEVER able to even be enforced.
I'll correct myself by saying that I did leave out the hypothetical nature of such a thing. Without out that my comment is indeed incorrect. HOWEVER, two key things you are leaving out:

-The law is under appeal and can very go into effect (URL)

-Who would that hypothetical kid be more likely to vote for? The Republicans who wanted to enact that law, or the Democrats who are fighting to get it thrown out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta