Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 02:17 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,108,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Not likely, especially since whites in European countries have even lower birth rates than Whites in America.

You are confusing first generation Cubans exiles and to an extent their children, who are admittedly very conservative Republicans, with Latinos at large. Their experience in this country is much different than Latinos from other parts of Central and South America and Mexico. I mean, why would a young Latino kid in Arizona who has to show his ID to prove he is a citizen (even though he was born there) due to the immigration laws passed by the Republican government there vote Republican?
What do whites in Europe have to do with anything? If immigration to the U.S. is halted, whites are to remain a majority through 2050 at 58% of the U.S. population.

White Americans’ majority to end by mid-century

Of course, this only includes non-Hispanic whites. If Hispanic Whites are included, whites are projected to be 73% of the U.S. in 2050, even with immigration.

And I am not confusing anything. I think you are the one who is confused by assuming that legal Hispanic immigrants will vote and feel the same as illegal Hispanic immigrants, based on country of origin.

I also don't think Hispanics are as naive as people think they are, and I don't think Hispanics harbor some sort of "pack mentality" or follow strict race-based voting patterns. Hispanics are a diverse group and cannot be stereotyped as adhering to one ideology just because they are Hispanic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 03:14 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
What do whites in Europe have to do with anything? If immigration to the U.S. is halted, whites are to remain a majority through 2050 at 58% of the U.S. population.

White Americans’ majority to end by mid-century

Of course, this only includes non-Hispanic whites. If Hispanic Whites are included, whites are projected to be 73% of the U.S. in 2050, even with immigration.

Oh, that's where you were going with that. I assumed you meant that there would suddenly be a large amount of immigration from Europe to the US again. In that case, it's extremely unlikely.

For one, there's zero chance that there will be any massive change to immigration policy any time soon that will stave off the demographics of those most likely to immigrate here...legal or illegally. But let's run with that concept. Let's say that we just totally stop immigration all together and assume that everyone currently living here remains.

The likelihood of Whites no longer being the absolute majority by mid-century are still good due solely to birth rates. The birth rates of "Whites" has trended downward for the last quarter century, and the birth rates "Black" Asians and Latinos has trended upwards. "Whites" in this country also have a larger elderly population. Put these two together and it is easy to see where this will go.

But, and I should have questioned this earlier, what exactly does have to do with voting patterns?

Why would having more Whites or Whites not being the absolute majority of this country mean more Republican victories? The two are not mutually exclusive. While Whites do not vote for Democratic candidates at the same high percentages as Blacks, Asians and Latinos, there are still a ton of White Democrats. In many States that have very small "minority" population, Democrats still dominate local and national elections.

Quote:
And I am not confusing anything. I think you are the one who is confused by assuming that legal Hispanic immigrants will vote and feel the same as illegal Hispanic immigrants, based on country of origin.
What do illegal immgrimants have to do with voting patterns. It is no secret that the core of the Republican party's Latino base is Cuban. All other Latinos vote for Democratic candidates at a rate of about 64% and 30% for Republican candidates.

Quote:
I also don't think Hispanics are as naive as people think they are, and I don't think Hispanics harbor some sort of "pack mentality" or follow strict race-based voting patterns. Hispanics are a diverse group and cannot be stereotyped as adhering to one ideology just because they are Hispanic.
Nice veiled swipe, but you are mis-reading it entirely. The largest core of latinos in this country are Mexicans, Salvadorians, Dominicans and Puerto Ricans. The Democratic party already has a lock on Puerto Ricans, so that isn't really up for discussion. For the other three groups though, who do you think bears the brunt of most of the Republican positions that are most dear to them?

On a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants, Republicans are against it. Don't you think that would have an effect on the voting patterns of citizen children of Mexicans and Central American immigrants?

Many Republicans advocate removing the citizenship and deporting the children of illegal immigrants and Democrats will not. If you are directly affected by this position, who would you likely to vote for?

Even when I mentioned that immigrants from Mexico and Central American have a different experience than those Latinos most likely to vote Republican (Cubans) you immediately assumed that I was talking about illegal immigrants. Why would a group of people so maligned by Republicans vote for them?

This is what Republicans do not get. Most people of color (Black, Latino or Asian) are pretty conservative socially. By and large they do not support abortion, same sex marriage, or whatever social conservative issue de jure you can conjure up. However, if you always attach these negative views towards them as a whole group such as Central American immigrants are likely to illegal or African-Americans are brainwashed (aka too dumb) in to voting for Democratic candidates, then they will continue to not vote for Republicans.

This even goes for Whites with moderate political views. They have almost been completely eliminated from the Republican party even though they were once the mainstay of the party a quarter century ago. The policies and platform of the party have gone so extreme, that Republicans like Nelson Rockefeller would likely not be able to be a major player in the party today. Hell, I bet Richard Nixon would even have a hard time operating in the Republican party in it's current form.

But, go ahead and bask in the momentary glory of electoral victory and believe there is nothing Republicans have to change to attract new voters. There is nothing you guys are doing wrong at all.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:31 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
You're making an awful lot of assumptions about the future. First of all, important changes in immigration policy could thwart a white minority, or at least postpone it to 2060 and beyond. Second of all, if you look at recent polls, Hispanics are not as loyal to Democrats when compared to blacks. In fact, some say that if the Republicans were the first to run a Hispanic presidential candidate (Marco Rubio), many Hispanics would vote for him. Lastly, around 50% of Hispanics are white. What makes you so sure that the white Hispanics won't be absorbed into the overall white population, and thus not even be considered "minority"?

Please refer to the highlighted above and then read this:

Latino Leaders -- Not! by Miguel Perez on Creators.com - A Syndicate Of Talent

Old 01-04-2011, 04:36 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
You are 100% correct. Which is why your belief that Cuban and Republican Marco Rubio will be a Latino political star is just wishful thinking on your part.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:00 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,105,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
This is what Republicans do not get. Most people of color (Black, Latino or Asian) are pretty conservative socially. By and large they do not support abortion, same sex marriage, or whatever social conservative issue de jure you can conjure up. However, if you always attach these negative views towards them as a whole group such as Central American immigrants are likely to illegal or African-Americans are brainwashed (aka too dumb) in to voting for Democratic candidates, then they will continue to not vote for Republicans.
Exactly republicans doesn’t have a lot blacks votes, and they don’t really give a damn about it. The image of the republican party is rush Limbaugh. Black Americans have very diffrent ideology for instance, for instance prop 8 in cali cough, cough. Many AA are conservative so why isn’t the republican party receiving votes? Not even conservative blacks want to be call thug or Ghetto because they have rims on their car, with in these threads alone we have countess republicans trying to blame a group of people by race for crime WTF? Republican push blacks away. Hack in one thread I heard someone say he or she doesn't want Marta to go in Clayton because of the black population. I remember when I was beginning there was someone screaming, the black agenda, the black agenda, the black agenda, WT flying F is the black agenda?

A large reason why republican don't get a large black vote is this,
Southern strategy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-04-2011, 05:57 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,101,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Black Americans have very diffrent ideology for instance, for instance prop 8 in cali cough, cough.
Seriously? Ever been to a black church? They preach more hellfire & brimstone against homosexuality than the Southern Baptist Convention!

Old 01-04-2011, 06:03 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,101,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

A large reason why republican don't get a large black vote is this,
Southern strategy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
From your link:

"During the 2000s decade, Republican National Committee Chairman Ken Mehlman formally apologized for his party's use of the Southern Strategy in the previous century....."

So now that this "strategy" has been denounced, what say you?

Old 01-04-2011, 07:57 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,105,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
Seriously? Ever been to a black church? They preach more hellfire & brimstone against homosexuality than the Southern Baptist Convention!
Which is a conservative view, My point is blacks aren’t voting for Democrat because blacks are monolithic liberals, but because the GOP, and Republican commentators push blacks away.

Quote:
From your link:

"During the 2000s decade, Republican National Committee Chairman Ken Mehlman formally apologized for his party's use of the Southern Strategy in the previous century....."

First off it’s sad that something like that was ever even consider. Second You miss my point, Did the GOP stop supporting people like rush too? The GOP can denounce something all they want but if they support and even have at fundraisers people who have similar views it's means nothing. The GOP doesn't care about votes from blacks because GOP can win with out blacks. Republican commentators have even attack democratics for just having the black vote. I’m remember the Darfur conflict started and rush ranted about Dems only caring about Darfur because of the Black vote, WTF? ) Stuff like that.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:06 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,271,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Atlanta View Post
lol, you sound like some racist. It was simply "renounced" within the last ten years and you expect things to shift ad if the past has no effect.
Wow you call someone a D-bag and a racist in this thread. Where are the mod's?

Old 01-05-2011, 08:14 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
From your link:

Means nothing if rank-and-file Republicans' and Republican leaders' words and actions don't sound and look very apologetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta