Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 06:53 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,639,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Totally agree. Between working long hours at a crappy job & then having to deal with the anoying traffic, it can be quite a cumbersome experience trying to date in Atlanta.

I would also mention that there are a lot of people (women usually) who tend to have this Princess/Diva complex who seem to cling to some unrealistic & quite contradictory notions of what they want and expect in a mate.
But how is this exclusive to Atlanta? People in other cities work long hours, sit in traffic, and have to deal with women who are incredibly picky. Whenever I hear such complaints, I wonder if the people saying them have ever lived in other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 02:52 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,308,673 times
It's probably not exclusive to Atlanta.

I have folks tell me that America in general sucks as far as dealing with women. Some of my co-workers have been making plenty of trips to Costa Rica, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, & Brazil & come back singing praises of their journey. I've also known other folks who lived long-term in Japan, Singapore, and the Phillippines & come back with an even lower opinion of the U.S.A.'s dating & marriage culture.

I think people like myself complain simply because it is a psychological pressure release. Maybe there are personal issues that complainers like myself have to work out...but at the same time I know that I shouldn't have to beg, go broke trying buy the latest clothing or drive the flyest car, be a white male, be 6'5" in height, and dress & act thugged out in order to get plenty of phone #s.

I should be just plain ol' me who works out at the gym, have a bachelor's degree, maintain a full-time job & be able to get women who are my equivalent EASILY. Not to be sounding arrogant, but I should be beating these type of women off with a stick with my type of profile.

Unfortunately the reality is that the only women who appreciate what I bring to the table are over 30, kinda overweight, have a child or two (or more) in tow. And that's the SINGLE women that a lot of these magazines & news media are blaring on & on about; women with baggage.

Why should I have to deal with old women who been wildin' out when they were young, but NOW wants to put a ball-&-chain on me? I want to have some fun like everyone else, eh? I shouldn't have to be the go-to guy for women who been screwed over by the thugs & other pretty-boy heartbreakers.

It's funny but those type of women STILL over-value their own stock, & step to me like they are doing ME the favor, & not the other way around. Sad part is most of these women can't tidy a house right or cook a great dinner.

If that's the case, I may as well put myself on the next plane to Japan or some place where young hot beautiful women are appreciative of a man's hardwork & will show it very easily. Put myself on the international dating market & see what my TRUE stock value is worth.

Forget this playing "hard-to-get" crap that's common to America; that's for the birds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
But how is this exclusive to Atlanta? People in other cities work long hours, sit in traffic, and have to deal with women who are incredibly picky. Whenever I hear such complaints, I wonder if the people saying them have ever lived in other cities.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 01-18-2011 at 03:31 PM..

Old 01-18-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I should be just plain ol' me who works out at the gym, have a bachelor's degree, maintain a full-time job & be able to get women who are my equivalent EASILY. Not to be sounding arrogant, but I should be beating these type of women off with a stick with my type of profile.

Unfortunately the reality is that the only women who appreciate what I bring to the table are over 30, kinda overweight, have a child or two (or more) in tow. And that's the SINGLE women that a lot of these magazines & news media are blaring on & on about; women with baggage.

Why should I have to deal with old women who been wildin' out when they were young, but NOW wants to put a ball-&-chain on me? I want to have some fun like everyone else, eh? I shouldn't have to be the go-to guy for women who been screwed over by the thugs & other pretty-boy heartbreakers.

It's funny but those type of women STILL over-value their own stock, & step to me like they are doing ME the favor, & not the other way around. Sad part is most of these women can't tidy a house right or cook a great dinner.

If that's the case, I may as well put myself on the next plane to Japan or some place where young hot beautiful women are appreciative of a man's hardwork & will show it very easily. Put myself on the international dating market & see what my TRUE stock value is worth.
Yeah, acting entitled will help you attract women. You talk of women who over-value their own stock. There are plenty of men who do it too, talking about all that they "bring to the table" like it's a business deal. I'm sure you'll find that mindset in other cities as well. So your post doesn't answer my original question, which is why people act like the issues with dating are all that different here.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:35 PM

My, aren't we being touchy? I was just simply having a nice conversation. Well, since we are going into adverse commenting territory here, here are some questions of my own:

Seriously, what is the point of you asking this question? Of what concern is the dating phenomenon in Atlanta to you?

Quote:
Yeah, acting entitled will help you attract women. You talk of women who over-value their own stock. There are plenty of men who do it too, talking about all that they "bring to the table" like it's a business deal. I'm sure you'll find that mindset in other cities as well. So your post doesn't answer my original question, which is why people act like the issues with dating are all that different here.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:17 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,254 times
Quote:
I don't think "entitled" is the right word to use when it comes to dating. Someone can be "confident" or "cocky", but you can't be "entitled" to a certain type of woman. Even so, multiple psychology studies have shown that women are attracted to males who are not only confident, but also "bring something to the table." I think it may have something to do with that whole natural-selection, survival-of-the-fittest thing.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:40 PM

230 posts, read 621,568 times
Quote:
It's probably not exclusive to Atlanta.

I have folks tell me that America in general sucks as far as dealing with women. Some of my co-workers have been making plenty of trips to Costa Rica, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, & Brazil & come back singing praises of their journey. I've also known other folks who lived long-term in Japan, Singapore, and the Phillippines & come back with an even lower opinion of the U.S.A.'s dating & marriage culture.

I think people like myself complain simply because it is a psychological pressure release. Maybe there are personal issues that complainers like myself have to work out...but at the same time I know that I shouldn't have to beg, go broke trying buy the latest clothing or drive the flyest car, be a white male, be 6'5" in height, and dress & act thugged out in order to get plenty of phone #s.

Forget this playing "hard-to-get" crap that's common to America; that's for the birds.
I had a friend during college that came here on behalf of an America suitor. The moment she learned English and made a bit of money, she ran as far away as she could from him. Lesson in trying to pick up people that would not normally be attracted to you in anything but desperate circumstances: You get what you pay for.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:06 PM

I never said anything about bringing any foreign brides here.

I guess what I said is rubbing some people the wrong way here. It's a regular estrogen-packed man-hate fest going on around here, with all these passive/aggresive jabs going on.

Folks need to take a pill & chill-lax around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsoon2020 View Post
I had a friend during college that came here on behalf of an America suitor. The moment she learned English and made a bit of money, she ran as far away as she could from him. Lesson in trying to pick up people that would not normally be attracted to you in anything but desperate circumstances: You get what you pay for.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
My, aren't we being touchy? I was just simply having a nice conversation. Well, since we are going into adverse commenting territory here, here are some questions of my own:

Seriously, what is the point of you asking this question? Of what concern is the dating phenomenon in Atlanta to you?
I'm touchy because instead of answering my original question, you simply launched into a rant about awful women are in the U.S., how foreign women are so much better, blah blah blah.

As for why I started this thread, maybe it's simply to get an answer to something I observed. If you don't know the answer, fine. But save the "American women are horrible" stuff for the Relationships forum where it belongs.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:07 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,956 times
I do think AcidSnake brings up an interesting point. It seems like male/female relationships in America can be extremely adversarial at times. Both sexes are just as bad. I wonder if that's the case in many other parts of the world?

Honestly I do have a preference for foreign born women. They just seem more interesting to me than your average American-born women. I'd also say a good percentage probably have their heads on straight if they've recently immigrated or are children of immigrants. A lot of American women(and men too) meander through life with no direction. I suppose there's also a bit of an exotic appeal to certain types of foreign women for a guy like me but that borders on treating them like pets.

I'm not so much disillusioned with the quality of Atlanta women. I think there are plenty of attractive women who are down to earth and have realistic expectations of a modern male/female relationship. I am frustrated with the difficulty of meeting women outside of churches and bars in this city. I'd feel much more comfortable approaching someone in a lively public space rather that some loud club with obnoxious music or some cheesy church singles group gathering.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:24 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times
Acid- I read over your original response a few times over. I think you were trying to just say alot with a serious manner, but I do have to say... the written tone of it did come off as a bit touchy yourself.

But I do think some of the things he is saying is kinda real. I don't think it is to say anyone is particularly entitled to anyone, but I think is one of the many ways people start to feel when they get frustrated at trying to meet anyone around town.

I stick my original comment and to me this is a good example.... Atlanta is just spread out with limited social gathering points/public spaces compared to other cities. Don't get me wrong I see alot of positive change to our recent growth, but we are mostly a spread out suburban city and it isn't always ideal for single life.

I also want to say one thing about -natural selection/survival of the fittest- arguments. It isn't that I don't agree with these genetic/biological arguments, but you can't take them too literally... there is a human element involved, but I also think there are more variables involved that we must discover.
I would also assume that one of the things women look for is loyalty or the ability to be loyal. If survival of the fittest is true... it would hold true that a man that is most likely to make her reproductively successful is what would be dominant in the population's gene pool. This doesn't always mean biggest/strongest. It also means protective, ability to be a family leader, and not likely to leave.
So if you make a comment where it makes you feel like your entitled, then it sounds like a girl would have a harder time building loyalty w/ you.

But I will say... I'm not going to get into specifics because we are side-stepping the original topic a little bit, but I won't let girls off the hook either. They don't always act in the most productive or helpful ways either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta