Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2011, 01:25 PM

32 posts, read 77,067 times

Advertisements

I will be graduating with a general MBA degree this year, from a large school in Wisconsin. Although I have 4.0 GPA, I really do not have any professional experience (my resume is limited to entry-level customer service jobs). In addition, I have not held a job in over eight years (I have been a stay-at-home wife and student throughout this time). This summer, I will be relocating to Atlanta and living with family. I know that the job market in the region is difficult, to say the least. What would you recommend for improving my chances of securing a position, given my very limited experience? Although I have interned in the past, it was more than six years ago. It was also in a field in which I am no longer interested. I hear that such long gaps in employment is frowned upon. How do I explain my lapse? I am really, really worried and uncertain as to my next move. Any advice would be greatly appreciated (from all industries)...

Thank you ().
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 02:00 PM

99 posts, read 212,948 times
Well, what is it that you would like to do exactly? It seems the little bit of work experience that you do have is in an area that you do not want to return to.

Are there any alumni that you could speak with to connect you with someone?

Little work experience (none of which seems relevant) in addition to having a large gap in work in an economy where it is difficult to be hired to begin with...you need to leverage as many contacts as you can and network like crazy in whatever area you want to go in.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:43 PM

847 posts, read 1,458,136 times
To be honest, your work history will probably be an issue for you. Although most MBA programs these days are fairly open, it is still a rule of thumb for a student to either have current or previous professsional work experience or at the very least have their Bachelor's in a Business-related major. I've seen plenty of people go from not-so-great jobs into graduate programs only to find themselves both "overqualified" for their current not-so-great job and "underqualified" for jobs related to their field of study. It sounds like you may have ended up in that same boat.

Your best route at this point is to get your foot in the door somewhere and then try to work your way up. It may end up being an entry-level position that is more suited for someone fresh out of undergrad. However, it will at least get you some current work experience.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:49 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,812,053 times
I'd take an entry level job to earn money and do projects on the side for non-profits that jibe with my interests (like, making a marketing plan, or helping them through the strategic planning process, etc). You need accomplishments to add to your resume. Call it your "consulting business" or something like that even of you don't get paid. After a few years, no one will care about what you did before the MBA if there is enough interesting stuff on the page.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:13 PM

124 posts, read 399,858 times
Have you contacted the career services people at your school? I think this would be the best place to start. MBA programs are very concerned with their rankings and stats, and one of the things they look at is placement rates. Your school has a vested interest in making sure you find a job.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:07 PM

9 posts, read 33,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L View Post
I've seen plenty of people go from not-so-great jobs into graduate programs only to find themselves both "overqualified" for their current not-so-great job and "underqualified" for jobs related to their field of study. It sounds like you may have ended up in that same boat.
Ah, the dreaded 'You're too qualified for this position'. Rec'vd that when I was in the midst of career transition.
Still got the job. I had to really sell it in those interviews, though.

ANYWAY--
If all else fails, aren't there paying interships available?
Couldn't you do that...then try to get on with the company...then move into your desired slot...?
Gotta work your way in there somehow. This works with companies in the midst of freezes and such. Everyone 'internally promotes'.

I agree with TINAWINA.
Take note of the job functions of your desired position and find ways to do just that with non-profits, churches, small businesses, etc...
Just regular old volunteer work.

You could advertise your svcs on CraigsList (or other places). You have tutors, computer techs, beauticians, anesthetists, writers and everything else on the site. Heck, that's where I found my hairbraider. I've also bought 2 cars from folks on Craig'slList. (I don't believe in 'Renting to Own' vehicles.)
A 2003 Eclipse Spyder for 3500 and a 2003 Benz C20 for 8200.
It's cheap, easy and consumers are always looking for a 'deal'...

Then?
Draft a 'functional resume' (I believe it's called) if you haven't already.
You want to pull attn away from your spotty work history and showcase your ABILITIES.

Arranged like so:
- SKILLSET
- DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITES
- EDUCATION
- WORK HISTORY (at the verrrryyyy bottom) *laugh*

If/when you score an interview, you're going to have to sell your booty off.
Don't sweat it. You'll do fine. Just remember: If they didn't think you suitable, they wouldn't have called you for the interview in the first place...right?
*shrug*

As others have stated, I'd also contact your school in Wisconsin and see if they could help.
Were you in any organizations...sororities? Does your family know anyone in Atlanta who could help your (or use your svcs?)

Besides that? If I were you, I'd join some social/business organizations and get my 'schmooze' on. If there were ever a time for unabashed opportunism...NOW would be it.
*laugh*

When I was involved in real estate and sales, some of my biggest contacts were folks that I'd met at the nightclub! *laugh*
I usually go out just to look cute but, I mean, what better place to farm for prospects - than a place where 'business' literally comes to you...?
Meh. I was in sales. If I didn't sell...I didn't eat.
When you're in such a position, you begin to see 'opportunities' and potential clients everywhere.
At that time? Anyone that landed near my eyeballs got the '30 Second Intro'...

Old 01-19-2011, 08:09 AM

32 posts, read 77,067 times
Thanks everyone for the feedback and ever-so-valuable information!!!

I am definitely going to look into the career services department at my school. Although I have family in Atlanta, they all work for the federal government (and I do not believe that they have much influence with regards to getting me a position). Also, I have already created a functional resume, since the chronological format would merely highlight my spotty work history. I am really interested in the pharmaceutical and healthcare services fields. Are these highly competitive sectors?

I am going to try to secure an internship this summer, in order to better my chances of full-time employment later on. Also, I am a member of the Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society. I will add that to my resume as well, and look into "consulting" opportunities. In addition, I will network, network, network. Again, thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta