Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 07:14 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times

Advertisements

Sports Fans in Atlanta

Here is another great thing about Atlanta. I will not find this in that many cities.

Check out this link. Your fav team probably has a sports bar in Atlanta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 08:36 AM

847 posts, read 1,457,914 times
Since the ESPNZone (which is closed) is at the top of list, I would assume that the list may not be entirely accurate.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:50 AM

Add Entice A to the list on Ponce if you are a Steelers fan

Old 01-19-2011, 07:47 PM

642 posts, read 2,219,374 times
You can find this in many areas. The reason is has a major foothold in Atlanta is due to the relative lack of passion for the local teams.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:02 PM

749 posts, read 887,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L View Post
Since the ESPNZone (which is closed) is at the top of list, I would assume that the list may not be entirely accurate.
Does anyone know what is actually going on with the old ESPNZone building? Was that going to be part of the whole streets of buckhead thing?

Old 01-19-2011, 10:53 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrob View Post
You can find this in many areas. The reason is has a major foothold in Atlanta is due to the relative lack of passion for the local teams.
If there's nothing to consistently cheer for, it's hard to be a fan. Also, in my experience, teams threatening to leave all the time (and players unions threatening to strike) make it hard to be passionate about any pro sports. They all make more than most of us will ever see. Who care about their issues? Play the game you're paid to play!

Besides, many of us have our own favorite teams from back home. You think I'm going to root for the neon Tomahawk Braves over my own beloved Twinkies, or that I care about the Trashers when we have high school teams back home that could take them 2 out of 3?

Fat chance...

Okay, the Falcons are cool. Matty Ice rocks. And I'm kidding about the Thrashers. Not the Braves, tho.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:52 AM

847 posts, read 1,457,914 times
Quote:
That's because unfortunately the local teams do not have a history of consistently being contenders. Even though the Braves have a title under their belt, they are mostly known for a long streak of going to the playoffs and getting knocked out. Both the Falcons and Hawks have had stretches where they didn't even see the postseason at all. Things seem to be turning around at the Dome and at Phillips in terms of fan support, but it may take a title or two to really change some people's minds about the teams as a whole.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
False

Old 01-20-2011, 09:18 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
False
The second is not a very constructive comment. At least provide some basis for your highly questionable assertion.

I know several metro areas with fair weather fans, which seems to make kayrob's assertion true.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
The second is not a very constructive comment. At least provide some basis for your highly questionable assertion.

I know several metro areas with fair weather fans, which seems to make kayrob's assertion true.

I'm talking about being able to go to other cities and have a variety of sports bars to choose from that are home to other professional teams.

These sports bars have NOTHING to do with Atlanta fair weather fans. The owners of those bars are not from Atlanta. They move here from another city, open a bar or restaurant and it the official sports bar of whatever city they are from. The owners of this Redskins bar in Buckhead is from DC. The owners of the Steelers bar in Midtown is from Pittsburgs. Most of the transplants go to their teams sports bar because most of the people at those bars are probably from their hometown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta