Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 10:20 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,350,102 times

Advertisements

You all seem to forget the types of people that attend those highly ranked schools. 6.9% of applicants are accepted to Harvard. The other 93% of them would probably still be in the top 1% of your avg public school. Those kids didn't get there b/c they needed remedial English Composition or Calc I. I went to one of those schools that got dinged and I can tell you the student body is far more competitive than anything you'll find outside of the top tier. My classes at GT were a cakewalk...not because the coursework easier but b/c the grading curve wasn't nearly as rough.

Sure taking a class on writing about why the sky is blue may seem to be a waste but you also forget that most of these students have tons of AP exams, ridiculous SAT I/II scores, and would also destroy the curve in most average public universities. I had 8 AP exams worth of college credit by the time I started and my younger brother had 10 (he took 2 as independent study b/c Gwinnett County didn't offer that many).

Could you find a KSU student able to hang at Harvard? Definitely...the difficult part is getting there. Would a Harvard student struggle at KSU? Chances are probably not. It's an extreme example but the concept remains.

As for the Harvard vs. KSU job thing...there isn't a ton of overlap. If you're aiming for law school, you may be screwed but KSU's grad's biggest challenge come from UGA/GSU grads. I have however been in the same interview room w/ Duke, MIT, CMU, UT Austin, Emory, and Georgetown w/o only my relatively lowly GT MBA and done just fine. To that end...it's about how you've worked your career and how to work on your job search. Applying on the internet to a Management consulting firm that only picks from Harvard or a Wall St bank w/ thousands of UPenn MBA's isn't going to get you very far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 02:06 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Being a "higher university" (aka MIT, Harvard, Yale, etc.) doesn't always translate into rigorous, challenging classes. Many of the "party schools" are often more challenging than those who have been given the designation of prestige. Much of the prestige has been handed down, and it is based on little more than legacy. On the other hand, some universities had overcompensated for their "party school' titles, that they've intentionally made the curriculum and its classes very rigorous.
Some get in because they are the son or daughter of an alumnus but in general the quality of students at those schools are very high. And if you want, you can find free online classes from MIT and sample the instruction. It's excellent! Listening to a linear algebra course taught by Prof Strang himself, great clarity. MIT even has a famous (in instructor circles) insructor of physics whose courses are also online. He demonstrated with a class experiment (which he often does) how Kirchhoff's law could be "violated". The first video lectures outline the requirements etc. and yes, they do appear to be rigorous with wonderful depth. I especially enjoyed the computer science lectures with their deep insights.

Quote:
I'm not necessarily speaking about Kennesaw State here, only to say that in support of the original list, the high ranked schools are often not the most rigorous. Thus, I wouldn't doubt the validity of the list. From what I've heard from people who have attended Kennesaw State, they do make you take more classes, on average, for a degree in many fields than many universities.
Well, I don't know how those KSU students know that they take more classes on average than other universities. They probably think they do. Most KSU students I knew say that in comparison with their high school.

The OP was just judging how "well-rounded" the course of studies were as by, I guess, taking the right courses in the surveyor's eyes. Every school tries to get the student through in four years so does KSU demand a student take more classes each semester? And even then, I can give you 6 easy classes or 3 tough classes with the latter eating up much more of your time.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:03 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,405,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarettes_and_coffee View Post
Besides all the "prestige" stuff, I believe that any company during recession with more than enough applicants, will hire someone with a proven education from a proven education college.That means, if someone applies for a job from GT, UGA, Duke, Harvard, KSU, then someone from Harvard or Duke will always get the job. It's little ridiculous, but statistically people from Harvard and Duke tend to do better in the interview. It's almost like that is part of their curriculum.
Well for one a lot of the students from the Ivy League schools have so many connections for jobs before they graduate they often dont even have to interview. Trust me, I used to work for a Harvard grad. And im not saying the Ivy League guarantees anyone a better job, I was just pointing out the fact that the guy bashing KSU and hyping up GSU as if they're some sort of Ivy League was getting a little ahead of himself. Especially considering it wasnt too long ago that GSU was deemed nothing more than a commuter school.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:54 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,957 times
KSU: Because the World Needs ditch-diggers too.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:42 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,775,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
KSU: Because the World Needs ditch-diggers too.
Really? do have to take cheap shots like that?

I read that and just think ... gtcorndog: because the world is full of ----s.

Everyone knows KSU is not a major research university, but I'm starting to have alot of respect for it as a non-research university

Old 01-29-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Really? do have to take cheap shots like that?

I read that and just think ... gtcorndog: because the world is full of ----s.

Everyone knows KSU is not a major research university, but I'm starting to have alot of respect for it as a non-research university

Awwww... didn't like it?

How about this one:

KSU: At least we are better than Devry.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:47 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,405,892 times
Or GT: We suck at athletics but we sure are smart.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Or GT: We suck at athletics but we sure are smart.
Yeah... that one hurts.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:26 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Good for Kennesaw State! They just keep getting better and better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta