Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 05:00 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
From what I understand, one reason is that Vancouver has very strict zoning that conforms to urban planners' dream city. It has been successful in making Vancouver a beautiful place (aside from its natural beauty) but in controlling growth, housing prices soar. Atlanta's sprawl, as much as people complain about it, has made this area highly affordable
As a person who's spent more of my adult life in Vancouver and environs than anywhere else, I had to smile when I read this. Vancouver has a fabulous natural setting and umm, great PR. But if you'd seen the sprawling blocks of "Vancouver specials" you might not be praising the urban planning there quite so much. The photo with this Wikipedia article Vancouver Special - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is unfortunately pretty typical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 05:40 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
True. When I first read this I just looked at the numbers and not the introduction. Joel Kotkin has had some controversial opinions, of course. And Demographia is affiliated with Wendell Cox, whose views are also controversial.

Nonetheless, if the data are correct it still makes for an interesting study. I'd think it was a plus for Atlanta to have the most affordable housing of any big city. Is that not the case?
Sigh, not if you got transferred here five years ago and had to buy at the top of the market. Looks like it might be Atlanta till death at this rate.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:58 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
This is NOTHING to be proud of ... it's much more desirable for a market to be IN THE MIDDLE of the housing cost pack, just like you always want to own a home that's the AVERAGE value of all the other houses in your neighborhood. Or .... is that what "affordable" means?

Old 01-29-2011, 06:34 PM

95 posts, read 253,699 times
Now you will know why I need to move from Sydney to Atlanta.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:34 PM

257 posts, read 669,621 times
This seems odd. DC is more affordable than Charlotte? If that was true then I would live there! I don't understand how they came up with this ranking. I do know that Richmond/VA Beach are more expensive than you think. Atlanta is cheap but I doubt it is cheaper than Detroit.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:55 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiehigh View Post
This seems odd. DC is more affordable than Charlotte? If that was true then I would live there! I don't understand how they came up with this ranking. I do know that Richmond/VA Beach are more expensive than you think. Atlanta is cheap but I doubt it is cheaper than Detroit.
It's not cheapest--it's most affordable. As in, how many times larger is the cost of the average house than average household income?

Old 02-04-2011, 02:06 PM

257 posts, read 669,621 times
Ahh.. Thanks. I should have read more of the article. I did notice where most of the more affordable areas had less restrictive land use policies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: