Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 02:51 PM

77 posts, read 193,982 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 4 soon to be 5 and will be moving to Atlanta in 1 year. We are a bi-racial couple and would like to know the best neighborhoods with Housing under $100,000.00. Schools we can work around because I can pick up the slack at home and we would like to be close to Public Transportation. We would also like to have a nice sized yard. We are moving to get away from the cold winters here. Also is there any websites I can go to where I can order catalogs or info on moving to Atlanta? Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 03:10 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
In order to find housing in your price range you may want to look beyond the metro area. With the precarious state of the economy you really need to be certain you can find work in GA before relocating. Living close to work is also essential.

You might consider west Georgia--Newnan, Villa Rica, Douglasville and Carrollton to name a few towns/cities. The University of Western GA is located in Carrollton--some say it is less than an hour's drive from the Atlanta city limits.

Personally I don't think it is wise to plan to rely on public transportation if you move to Atlanta as shopping centers are typically located within 'driving' distance of residential areas and the city is not well-designed for pedestrians in most areas.

There are a number of threads in the CD forums that might answer many of your questions. Atlanta is comprised of 5/6 counties --Fulton, DeKalb, Cobb, Gwinnett, Fayette, IIRC. You could research those websites as well as the City of Atlanta website.

hth

ETA: Housing $100,000>>>
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...bout-home.html

Last edited by TakeAhike; 11-21-2008 at 03:55 PM..

Old 12-02-2008, 01:34 PM

Default Safety needed for kids.

I need to be pretty close to the City of Atlanta and close to public transportation. Also, I would like to make sure that it is a racially diverse community because my husband and I are a mixed race couple and we moved out of Chicago because of the prejudice in certain areas of the city. my children have also experienced racism here and don't want it to happen again. I also like Atlanta's weather. I hate the long cold winters of Northern Illinois.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:37 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
I think you may have a problem in your price range. What kind of rent could you afford?

Old 12-02-2008, 01:42 PM

I won't rent. I need to own.I would even buy something that needed to be fixed up.My husband is very handy.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:01 PM

I am not sure that we have what you are looking for here. Most of the very poor parts (and that is what your price range puts you into in the city of Atlanta and most of metro Atlanta) will not be diverse. If you go out to where the neighborhoods are maybe safer, then you won't be anywhere near public transportation.

Sorry.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:01 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
If you want to be close to the city and close to public transportation and need to be under $100k, I hope you can afford private schools and own a large arsenal of guns- you're not going to find safe housing in that price range anywhere near the city or MARTA.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:10 PM

Do you have what you are looking for here where you are now?

Old 12-02-2008, 02:10 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasham76 View Post
I won't rent. I need to own.I would even buy something that needed to be fixed up.My husband is very handy.
I agree with LMM.

If you browsed the thread I linked previously the options were discussed.

You might find something in this area but I don't know what the price range would be and good schools would be random. There would be access to public transportation but I believe you would soon become frustrated with the process.>>>>

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ery-close.html

Clarkston, GA is about 5 miles east of the above linked area/zipcode 30032. It is diverse and has had major crime issues but is said to be revitalizing. There would be access to public transportation, a few good schools and some homes in your price range.
//www.city-data.com/city/Clarkston-Georgia.html

Last edited by TakeAhike; 12-02-2008 at 02:53 PM..

Old 12-02-2008, 03:12 PM

What about Forest Park,GA?
Crime doesn't matter, I lived in Chicago for 10 years and saw everything.I just want a little bit of diversity. I know that all areas have what I call pockets of stupidity.
I am just interested in housing and diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta