Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2011, 12:29 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-SawDude View Post
Can't someone just challenge the constitutionality of this law in the first place? Maybe that's too expensive of an idea, but it seems like a violation of religious rights (or heck, even interstate commerce, which the Federal government can regulate for "fairness.")

It's utterly ridiculous that the whims of the few are dictating the behavior of the majority here. Not very American if you ask me.
I was thinking about this today. Suppose a store owner decided to sell alcohol on Sunday and they got busted, setting off a legal battle. It be pretty easy to prove that the law is nothing more than an attempt to make people obey the beliefs of one small segment of christianity, which has been openly admitted by lawmakers and spokespeople for the Georgia Christian Coalition dozens of times over the past few weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 12:31 PM

454 posts, read 821,498 times
Its a little ironic that the same self serving "god fearing ultra right" people who stopped this also say they want to balance the budget and be fiscally responsible yet its a proven fact that the law costs the state hunderds of millions in lost convention revenue and jobs.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:48 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatlanta View Post
Its a little ironic that the same self serving "god fearing ultra right" people who stopped this also say they want to balance the budget and be fiscally responsible yet its a proven fact that the law costs the state hunderds of millions in lost convention revenue and jobs.
I'm not sure the revenue argument can be made. I don't believe that necessarily MORE alcohol will be consumed, but rather that the place and time of purchase may change. Big difference and a huge hole in the argument of the fundamentalists.

Also, let's not define the merit of one issue by the lack of merit of another. Fiscal conservatism vs social conservatism is what you're describing. They are not the same thing, although some individuals claim both mantras.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:13 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-SawDude View Post
Can't someone just challenge the constitutionality of this law in the first place? Maybe that's too expensive of an idea, but it seems like a violation of religious rights (or heck, even interstate commerce, which the Federal government can regulate for "fairness.")

It's utterly ridiculous that the whims of the few are dictating the behavior of the majority here. Not very American if you ask me.
I agree to a certain extent.

However, freedom from a "tyranny of the majority" is also a core building block of the American system. That's one reason why we're a representative democracy and not a pure one (besides the obviously practical reasons), and why there's a certain amount of procedural inertia built into the system.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:13 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,068,800 times
Folks on the west side can drive to Hopewell, AL and grab a 6 pack if it's a booze emergency. It's about 45 minutes away from Austell.

The rest of us will just have to deal with it until these morons in office grow a pair and pass the sales bill, which honestly, I don't think will happen until Georgia is officially the last state left that has Sunday bans. Thanks for limiting my rights yet again christian coalition!

Ugh, I thought this was the 'new south'?

Old 02-17-2011, 01:17 PM

906 posts, read 1,746,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I agree to a certain extent.

However, freedom from a "tyranny of the majority" is also a core building block of the American system. That's one reason why we're a representative democracy and not a pure one (besides the obviously practical reasons), and why there's a certain amount of procedural inertia built into the system.
A fair point. I guess I look at the majority/minority divide in America more as "we must protect the rights of the minority" rather than "a minority with political power should get to dictate the behavior of everyone else." I fully believe the blockage of Sunday alcohol sales is an example of the latter rather than the former.

Fundamentally, the former sentiment is much more democratic in its roots; the latter is much more oligarchic (and, in the case of this particular law, theocratic.) And America/Georgia shouldn't be a theocracy.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:20 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Folks on the west side can drive to Hopewell, AL and grab a 6 pack if it's a booze emergency. It's about 45 minutes away from Austell.

The rest of us will just have to deal with it until these morons in office grow a pair and pass the sales bill, which honestly, I don't think will happen until Georgia is officially the last state left that has Sunday bans. Thanks for limiting my rights yet again christian coalition!

Ugh, I thought this was the 'new south'?
Metro Atlanta is the 'New South' and then there is the rest of the state.

Do you have a theory about how Alabama was able to allow Sunday sales?
A few years back there were stories about social conservatism in AL that made GA seem progressive--not related to the sale of alcohol, fwiw.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:29 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,068,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Metro Atlanta is the 'New South' and then there is the rest of the state.

Do you have a theory about how Alabama was able to allow Sunday sales?
A few years back there were stories about social conservatism in AL that made GA seem progressive--not related to the sale of alcohol, fwiw.

No, I have no idea. Never lived in AL. I'm from Nashville however, home of the Southern Baptist Convention, LifeWay Christian Stores, the largest printing and publishing city of the Bible, and nicknamed the "belt buckle of the bible belt" and even they have Sunday sales.

I'm starting to agree though that north and south Georgia need to split. I have no doubt in my mind that if the rest of the state had metro ATL's mindset, Sunday sales would have passed years ago.

It seems like when we refer to the rest of the state, we are mostly referring to southern GA. Rural north Georgia towards Rome and Dalton doesn't seem nearly as socially conservative as southern GA but that's just in my limited experience with southern GA.

Last edited by Adric; 02-17-2011 at 02:43 PM..

Old 02-17-2011, 02:45 PM

969 posts, read 1,959,647 times
I thought for the first time there are more politicians from Metro Atlanta/North GA in the Gold Dome than South GA? If that is true, it still doesn't seem to be helping much...

Old 02-17-2011, 02:51 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
I thought for the first time there are more politicians from Metro Atlanta/North GA in the Gold Dome than South GA? If that is true, it still doesn't seem to be helping much...
President of the Christian Coalition Against Sunday Alcohol Sales in Georgia | WDEF News 12 | News, Weather and Sports for Chattanooga and the Tennessee Valley

<Jerry Luquire says he's picked up three no votes from senators in the past, and only needs seven more to kill the bill.

Jerry Luquire, President, Christian Coalition,"We call them the magnificent seven, if they would just come through, we'll have our 29 votes in the Senate and this bill will never come up again.">

There is now a grassroots lobbying campaign. Maybe some further explanation will be forthcoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta