Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 11:16 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,715,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
There is wrangling going on between HR and Senate, but the rumor is that the House Rules Committee will report it out of committee, but maybe not for a couple of weeks, at the end of session.

Neil, I hate politics, but what does this mean, is it a yay or a nay??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 08:09 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,206,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Neil, I hate politics, but what does this mean, is it a yay or a nay??
I think the conventional wisdom is that it will pass, but the House leadership doesn't want to be seen as rubber stamping the Senate bill, so they will debate it and maybe make some changes. Then it would have to go back the Senate or to conference.

There are some people posturing, so that they can say they fought the evil sinners. A lot of it is for district consumption. Once the Rules Committee reports it out, then it goes to the floor for a vote. The thought is that will happen but not until the very end of the session.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:01 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,504,281 times
Quote:
I think the conventional wisdom is that it will pass, but the House leadership doesn't want to be seen as rubber stamping the Senate bill, so they will debate it and maybe make some changes. Then it would have to go back the Senate or to conference.

There are some people posturing, so that they can say they fought the evil sinners. A lot of it is for district consumption. Once the Rules Committee reports it out, then it goes to the floor for a vote. The thought is that will happen but not until the very end of the session.
Someone should be analyzing the cost of such a process. Bazillions of dollars wasted. One way to better fund education would to be to reform 'The System'--no doubt in my mind.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Someone should be analyzing the cost of such a process. Bazillions of dollars wasted. One way to better fund education would to be to reform 'The System'--no doubt in my mind.
Nothing different about this process than what we've see in the states and in Congress since the start of the republic. The problem we have in this country is that MOST people are apathetic about how the "sausage is made" and they don't contact their representatives or hold their feet to the fire at election time.

It has less to do with money spent and more to do with how voters (and those who don't vote) ignore the process, and are ignorant about it.

Most people expect that the Sunday sales referendum bill will eventually pass and go to the Gov for signature, but it will have to go through the posturing and provide the House leadership some opportunity to grandstand.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:16 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,235,948 times
Default Whoa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Again--47 other states seem to be coping pretty well with Sunday sales. Is it really possible that those who reside in the state of GA are of such weak moral fiber that they will not be able to control themselves?

Studies should be done to provide documentation. It would seem with an apparently large number of conservative Christians that sufficient restraint would be exercised. lol--Are our legislators worried that constituents will become Liberal--like CA?
If it ever gets to a referendum and I am given a chance I will vote 'Yes' --I am certain of that. I don't care for the parental attitude.

I agree....47 states are doing fine....Neil, you make my point. It's precisely because people WON'T get off the couch is precisely the reason to give them the incentive...you know, just in case the mood strikes? There is a bit of impulsive....much like quite a few guys don't PLAN to go home with the soon-to-be walk of shame girl, it just happens that way....I think some guys (not me mind you) kind of like the option of spontaneous entertainment....makes for great

Dear Penthouse stories...

There I was, minding my own business when these two wonderful voluptuous babes arrive at the door asking for directions....in swedish.....well, after my 4th go at it....I tried to open the turn the door knob but had no strength left.....good thing I had those headache inducing Bud Light Ice's in the fridge......

Or, in your case...

Dear Penthouse,

There I was minding my own business when these two wonderful voluptuous babes arrive at the door asking for directions....in swedish...well, after they found out I didn't PLAN for the occassional unplanned antics, quickly left with the pool boy named Sven......

See? Spontaneity my friend....one just never knows.....perhaps it's an old girlfriend wearing you out on the phone or, you just saw your ex with her new boyfriend(s)....It's like take out. Sure, you might not want Chinese tonight but, if you decide later on???? You get the idea...sure......

Until then, leave the options open. Me? I'm just having fun with it but, I believe the tax take up will be too tempting to pass. Remember, when it comes to taxes, WE are the ATM machines....it costs the government very little to allow this uptick in consumption. They aren't paying for any of the labor or BS Mr. Sunnit puts up with behind the counter, they just take a cut. And you think they are going to pass that up?

Back to those Penthouse fiction stories me thinks....

Old 04-04-2011, 07:19 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,235,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Okay Mr. Initials, fire away...enlighten me. Tell me how there are/will be no tax upticks with this? Walk me through that one Einstein.

Let's see, tax collections are way, way down...would you agree? Hmmmm, and there seems to be little hiring, if any? Agreed? And this morsel pops up.....and you think local governments will pass this up?

Your odds of this not passing are going down faster than a $5 hooker in Bangkok.....good luck with that.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:52 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,311,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Okay Mr. Initials, fire away...enlighten me. Tell me how there are/will be no tax upticks with this? Walk me through that one Einstein.

Let's see, tax collections are way, way down...would you agree? Hmmmm, and there seems to be little hiring, if any? Agreed? And this morsel pops up.....and you think local governments will pass this up?

Your odds of this not passing are going down faster than a $5 hooker in Bangkok.....good luck with that.

Maybe you could give me a bit of context. I can't remember what I was responding to, and I have no intention of backtracking to find out.

I support passing this bill, which should be obvious from any of my posts on this topic.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post

Even the Gov has stated that any increase in tax collections is icing on the cake, but not the target of the legislation. For the most part right now, people will buy their alcohol on days other than Sunday.

What some don't get is that allowing package sales on Sunday won't significantly increase the amount of alcohol bought or consumed, but it will allow consumers to buy at their convenience. That's the reason the package store lobbyists are against the bill. They don't want to have to open on Sunday for minimal incremental business.

On top of that...you could have a reduction in people drinking in bars on Sun, and that could reduce the amount of sales tax collected from restaurants. I have no way to prove that, but it's logical. I doubt there will be much impact to tax revenue one way or the other.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:34 AM

969 posts, read 1,960,808 times
Quote:
Even the Gov has stated that any increase in tax collections is icing on the cake, but not the target of the legislation. For the most part right now, people will buy their alcohol on days other than Sunday.

What some don't get is that allowing package sales on Sunday won't significantly increase the amount of alcohol bought or consumed, but it will allow consumers to buy at their convenience. That's the reason the package store lobbyists are against the bill. They don't want to have to open on Sunday for minimal incremental business.

On top of that...you could have a reduction in people drinking in bars on Sun, and that could reduce the amount of sales tax collected from restaurants. I have no way to prove that, but it's logical. I doubt there will be much impact to tax revenue one way or the other.
I agree with everything you said, however I'd like to add that at least for me this is about seperation of church and state and individual freedoms. Sometimes in GA and other southern states, it can feel more like a theocracy than a democracy when it comes to certain issues.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
I agree with everything you said, however I'd like to add that at least for me this is about seperation of church and state and individual freedoms. Sometimes in GA and other southern states, it can feel more like a theocracy than a democracy when it comes to certain issues.
Same for me...100%. I don't even drink that much, and can count on one hand the number of times I "needed" to buy alcohol on Sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta