Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 11:15 AM
bru bru started this thread

8 posts, read 17,527 times

Advertisements

Hello- I'm looking for some feedback about the EAV area. What's going on there in term of development,parks, new facelift(fixinf the streets,more lights, things to do. What are people doing to get this Location up and going. I like this area it's close to airport and atlanta but not paying fulton county taxes..I read a few stores are being brought up here and there. There is a pocket there that's to say the least full of derelicts and unkept. I s anything being done about that. I hear they are fixing up a theather there. What about this old High School I saw that looks like it's been shut down for years. Why hasn't this GEM of an area/location being preserved more rapidly. I find this area CHARMING and has alot of Promise. Can neighbors get together and do a clean up. Can commissioners become more involved and fix the streets and clean up. Is it lack of funds,or low pride in the community. Everyone grab a broom, mop and wash cloth. Maybe things will become Contagious. WHERE DO YOU SEE "EAV" in the next five years. I'm thinking of buying a place there and would like to hear from people who live there currently. I'M INTERESTED IN ALL COMMENTS AND FEEDBACK . Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 11:59 AM

826 posts, read 3,123,461 times
You would mot likely find the answers you are looking for by attending one of their neighborhood meetings.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:12 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,325,200 times
bru,

I'm an EAV resident myself and have lived in the area for more than five years. East Atlanta is by far one of the best kept secrets in Atlanta that is catching on fast. It's also one of the few neighborhoods in Atlanta that is both racially and socioeconomically diverse, which is a huge plus. On top of that, add the number of small businesses opening in the area and you would think that home values would be skyrocketing.

Although home values have been appreciating, the area still hasn't taken off yet because it's off the beaten path being on the other side of I-20. There are still some areas of Midotown, Old Fourth Ward, Inman Park, Cabbagetown, Reynoldstown, Candler Park, etc, that are going through redevelopment and offering homes at competitive prices. Not only that, the neighborhoods that I just mentioned have better access to the job centers around Metro Atlanta (Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead, Cumberland, and Perimeter) than East Atlanta and are more centrally located as well. East Atlanta is rather isolated by I-20, to the north and east, and the future Beltline right-of-way a couple of miles west. Additionally, the CSX rail yard further north presents another obstacle. All of these things add up to making commuting from East Atlanta rather difficult compared to other Intown neighborhoods.

Give it a few years, when prices have increased dramatically elsewhere and further improvements have been made to the streetscape in EAV--you won't be able to recognize it.

Old 07-23-2007, 01:16 PM

425 posts, read 1,756,814 times
I like to scan this page every so often to see what exactly is going on in my area (zip 30328):

DRI Submissions

I personally love EAV and even considered moving to Candler Park or Grant Park. At the end of the day however, just like millions of metro Atlantans, seemingly uncool but practical variables won over (commute, proximity to job centers).

Old 07-23-2007, 02:53 PM

145 posts, read 598,729 times
At the risk of sounding elitist (or anti-elitist)... Part of what makes EAV appealing is the fact that everyone hasn't brought out the mop and made covenants of conformity. It has a kind of 'live and let live' attitude that is starting to erroding due to it's current popularity.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:47 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,325,200 times
davesm,

Exactly.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:26 PM

71 posts, read 334,140 times
I've lived in EAV since 2000 and am moving away for a job transfer next month. I think EAV is great personally, though it IS an area in transition.

In 2001 after moving into my current house I was coming home to meet the cable guy and was roadblocked by a SWAT team busting a house two blocks away. The whole shebang, skimasks, M16s. While it was a scary sight it was a sign that things were being taken seriously and the eighborhood was cleaning up. Now my little corner of teh neighborhood has fille din with +300k houses and I take walks around the block (with my dogs) at midnight with very little concern. Their are still pockets of craziness and racial tension running throught the neighborhood but it's way better than it use dto be.

The center village is doing well, I REALLY wish that antique market hadn't moved in and they'd left the grocery store there but ... meh. Despite the occasional robbery etc. the quality of shops and shoppers and life overall is going up. However it's not for the squeamish whitebread types. You guys stay in Canton and commute 1.5 hours to work each way. :P

The schools still aren't great but I think the hew residents are starting to raise the level of overall involvement and that can only mean good things.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:41 PM

19 posts, read 92,949 times
Bru,

I am also in the process of buying a house. I am looking at Edgewood, Kirkwood, and Reynoldstown in addition to EAV. In your post you mentioned that their was a pocket you might want to stay away from. What area are you referring to specifically? I'm least familiar with EAV.

Also, and this is for the board....How easy and/or difficult is it to drive to the MARTA station in the morning? I'm trying to get a feel for how my commute may be and traffic in the area during rush hour. Any feedback would help...Thanks!

Old 07-23-2007, 10:14 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,744,411 times
Hey Bru,
Love your spirit! If you can't get what you're looking for in East Atlanta Village then please bring your ideas over to Sandy Springs. Great location; great potential...ZERO execution thus far!

Old 07-25-2007, 04:50 PM

114 posts, read 618,755 times
I imagine that one of the problems with EAV is the fact that, unlike Decatur and some other Intown neighborhoods, it doesn't have the option of MARTA (well, I suppose it does have buses). What is the long-term plan for connecting EAV via public transit? Does anyone know this or know where I can find it? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta