Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 11:51 AM

444 posts, read 703,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomno00 View Post
MARTA Expansion, New Urbanism Planning, Less SUV's and Trucks, Less Smog, etc etc.
Hopefully, the momentum for these things will continue to build as gas prices shoot up. Actually, it looks like there is no choice at this point. If this continues on through 2012, do you think this will affect how voters view the Transportation Bill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 01:53 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,405,892 times
I was pretty shocked to see premium at 3.80 this morning. I've always heard all the $5 rumors for years but it looks like we may actually see it this time.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:06 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,310,733 times
I don't think it will go that far. These high oil pices are artificially manufactured & manipulated by the Morgan Stanley crowd and their commodities/oil speculators anyways.

How can gas prices go up if not one Libyan oil field has gone up in smoke? Not one Libyan oil tanker has been hijack. It's all a big farce, I'd say.

But you will never hear about it from the corporate media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
I was pretty shocked to see premium at 3.80 this morning. I've always heard all the $5 rumors for years but it looks like we may actually see it this time.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:32 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,592,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post

I don't think it will go that far. These high oil pices are artificially manufactured & manipulated by the Morgan Stanley crowd and their commodities/oil speculators anyways.

How can gas prices go up if not one Libyan oil field has gone up in smoke? Not one Libyan oil tanker has been hijack. It's all a big farce, I'd say.

But you will never hear about it from the corporate media.

I tend to agree with you.

However the world dynamics are changing a bit. General Motors sells more cars now in China than the U. S. And these cars need oil just like our cars need oil.

But I do think to some extent that greed enters the picture. It's easy to find an excuse to raise prices.

An asteroid could fall on an oil field tonight. Let's raise oil prices just in case.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:47 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Clark Howard talked me out of using premium anymore. I hope he's right about the average driver/car not needing it, at least until the prices drop again (and they will).

Old 02-27-2011, 04:47 PM

444 posts, read 703,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel Ya View Post
However the world dynamics are changing a bit. General Motors sells more cars now in China than the U. S. And these cars need oil just like our cars need oil.
Good point that you touched on here, Zel Ya. Due to the increasing middle class in China and India, more people are buying cars and the demand for gas has been going up. So, not only is oil becoming more scarce, but we have more worldwide demand for it. With that in mind, why do you and AcidSnake think that oil prices won't continue to rise?

Old 02-27-2011, 05:08 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,711,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Clark Howard talked me out of using premium anymore. I hope he's right about the average driver/car not needing it, at least until the prices drop again (and they will).
Depending on your car, he is probably wrong. Follow the owners manual over his advice imho.

Sure, the car can compensate for it but some models require it. You won't get as much power as normal.

Last edited by PKCorey; 02-27-2011 at 05:34 PM..

Old 02-27-2011, 05:21 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,892,331 times
Doesn't it make sense to go by the owner's manual? The last couple of cars I've driven have had owner's manuals specifically stating don't use premium, with wording to the effect that the engine is set up for regular, and far from giving better performance, a higher octane gas will actually be deleterious.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:30 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,813,430 times
My car is designed to run on premium and I plan on keeping it a long long time so I think it is better to follow the recommended octane level than to risk engine damage over the long haul. And it is a very little car with very high mpg so I don't feel the pain quite as much.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:35 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,711,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Doesn't it make sense to go by the owner's manual? The last couple of cars I've driven have had owner's manuals specifically stating don't use premium, with wording to the effect that the engine is set up for regular, and far from giving better performance, a higher octane gas will actually be deleterious.
Correct, you are.

The main issue is now that premium is getting expensive, folks with automobiles like roxyrn can't afford it anymore so they try to justify using regular in their tank over supreme...

Last edited by PKCorey; 02-27-2011 at 06:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: