Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 09:46 PM

747 posts, read 1,545,046 times

Advertisements

Many times I've heard Atlanta has a large transient population. This prevents it from having a true identity, a local culture. People move here then move on. Or do they? Do we have any real proof of this? Specifically, I'm talking the city's intown neighborhoods.

This comment from Yes Home to close in Midtown | what now, atlanta? got me thinking about it. An independent home furnishings retailer in Midtown is closing and the commenter below thinks people in Atlanta don't support local because they don't care about local.

[SIZE=3]Johnny[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]says:[/SIZE]
March 11, 2011 at 3:09 pm
Yeah because SF is a real city. People move in and out of Atlanta like water in and out of a toilet. The percentage of people staying in midtown for over 20 years, 10 years for that matter is very very low. No one owns, they rent because they know Atlanta is not where they want to stay forever. That’s why businesses come and go so often. There’s no identity, no culture, no commitment. You all can comment about leave Atlanta if you don’t like then, guess what, most people have (Delta is ready when you are), that is why you’re stuck with a dead city. The people with these bright ideas for Atlanta aren’t doing anything to move Atlanta towards that bright idea either. I’m sure everyone including myself wants Atlanta to be more than it is for the last 15 yrs but no one is doing anything about it (ie: govt). People come through so often and never stay because there’s nothing worth staying for. We live in a sad city with limited growth opportunities.
You can’t sell furnishings if no one lives in the building above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 06:40 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,024,502 times
Everybody moves here but natives dont have anywhere to move to

Old 03-12-2011, 06:49 AM

349 posts, read 781,848 times
Good job starting a fight. I predict 6 pages. To answer the question how can we know if people don't stay here for 20 years?. People just started flocking here over the past decade.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:53 AM

32,028 posts, read 36,813,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koko339 View Post
This comment from Yes Home to close in Midtown | what now, atlanta? got me thinking about it. An independent home furnishings retailer in Midtown is closing and the commenter below thinks people in Atlanta don't support local because they don't care about local.
I know you didn't make this comment but the conclusion drawn by the person who did is pretty ridiculous.

No. 1, the store was in business for 7 years. That's not too shabby.

No. 2, we're in the midst of the worst recession in 80 years and retailers everywhere have been dropping like flies. That includes huge national companies with corporate financing. It's even tougher for the little guy. Who knows what factors may have been involved with this store? Lease coming up? Change in suppliers or financing sources? Customers unwilling to pay higher prices? Personnel changes?

No. 3, one shop in midtown is hardly indicative of what Atlanta is like. It's nonsense to try to extrapolate an event like that into broad generalizations about the character of the entire city. Nobody ever claimed midtown was the epicenter of retail ion the first place. We just went out for breakfast and tooled around for a while thereafter. Trust me, the city of Atlanta is buzzing from Buckhead to Downtown, in Decatur, the O4W, in Grant Park, on the West side and dozens of other neighborhoods. Drive down streets like Cheshire Bridge or Piedmont or RDA or Northside Drive and tell me Atlanta doesn't support local businesses. That's nonsense.

And we haven't even begun to touch our vast, thriving suburbs.

Sure, plenty of people move in and out of big cities like Atlanta all the time. We're a mobile society and that's the way the world works. But I'd venture that just as many people put down roots here as they do elsewhere.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:10 AM

747 posts, read 1,545,046 times
Yeah I think that commenter was being ridiculous. I for one am committed to my neighborhood and feel like I'd be just fine sticking around for the long run. The great thing about Atlanta is that we are in the process of forming an identity, there's buzz. Even though the economy tanked, we're going to dust our boots off and keep on doing our thing .

Old 03-12-2011, 10:59 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,008,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I know you didn't make this comment but the conclusion drawn by the person who did is pretty ridiculous.

No. 1, the store was in business for 7 years. That's not too shabby.

No. 2, we're in the midst of the worst recession in 80 years and retailers everywhere have been dropping like flies. That includes huge national companies with corporate financing. It's even tougher for the little guy. Who knows what factors may have been involved with this store? Lease coming up? Change in suppliers or financing sources? Customers unwilling to pay higher prices? Personnel changes?

No. 3, one shop in midtown is hardly indicative of what Atlanta is like. It's nonsense to try to extrapolate an event like that into broad generalizations about the character of the entire city. Nobody ever claimed midtown was the epicenter of retail ion the first place. We just went out for breakfast and tooled around for a while thereafter. Trust me, the city of Atlanta is buzzing from Buckhead to Downtown, in Decatur, the O4W, in Grant Park, on the West side and dozens of other neighborhoods. Drive down streets like Cheshire Bridge or Piedmont or RDA or Northside Drive and tell me Atlanta doesn't support local businesses. That's nonsense.

And we haven't even begun to touch our vast, thriving suburbs.

Sure, plenty of people move in and out of big cities like Atlanta all the time. We're a mobile society and that's the way the world works. But I'd venture that just as many people put down roots here as they do elsewhere.
You rock dude!

And while we're on it, I am soooooo sick of people saying Atlanta doesn't have an homegrown culture when they really mean "Atlanta doesn't have a home grown culture I like."

Old 03-12-2011, 11:04 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,533,856 times
I can sort of understand this guy's frustration even though I think he is exaggerating it a bit. Atlanta just doesn't sound like the right city for him. This city is getting better but some people don't want to sit around and wait for it to reach a level on par with a city like SF(vibrancy mainly). Honestly, this city does seem to take one step forward and two steps backwards when it attempts to improve itself a lot of times.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:50 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,024,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I can sort of understand this guy's frustration even though I think he is exaggerating it a bit. Atlanta just doesn't sound like the right city for him. This city is getting better but some people don't want to sit around and wait for it to reach a level on par with a city like SF(vibrancy mainly). Honestly, this city does seem to take one step forward and two steps backwards when it attempts to improve itself a lot of times.
But who wants to live in SF? It's not diverse unless you are white or asian, too expensive, cold summers, earthquakes, etc. Great place to visit though

Old 03-12-2011, 12:33 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,138,167 times
But I think a place needs a sense of permanence of what it is and Atlanta lacks that along with a sense that it has to be here and no where else. I was amazed when a long lost film of the 1944 liberation of Paris was discovered. I swear, the place has hardly changed.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:48 PM

88 posts, read 140,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
But who wants to live in SF? It's not diverse unless you are white or asian, too expensive, cold summers, earthquakes, etc. Great place to visit though
But who wants to live in Atlanta? It's not diverse unless you're black, too cheap/low quality, hot summers, tornadoes, etc. Good place if you like Coca Cola though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta