Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 06:20 AM

847 posts, read 1,458,616 times

Advertisements

Sometimes I wonder what people are really looking for these days. History and culture are good, but they won't pay my mortgage or other bills.

One of the good things about going back home to visit the Los Angeles area is that most of the places that I saw growing up as a child are still there. At the same time, one of the bad things about going back home to visit the Los Angeles area is that most of the places that I saw growing up as a child are still there. I'm sure that can apply to other cities as well.

Since Metro Atlanta is still growing and spreading (to the dismay of some), there is a certain "newness" in some areas that you don't get in more established metros. My wife and I appreciate that the majority of the restaurants and shopping centers around our home are still fairly new. As far as putting down roots, I guess that has already been done since I moved here from L.A. in 1998 and my wife moved here from Little Rock in 1999. Atlanta may not be our "hometown", but our adult friendships, work relationships, and networking have all happened here. We don't plan to leave unless we end up with a job transfer or something along those lines.

I guess it goes back to what you like in the end. I couldn't care less about a "local" eatery or a place having a certain "charm". My concern at this point in my life is my family and career. Those things may not remain intact if you spend too much time jumping from city to city chasing "culture".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 08:15 AM

1,120 posts, read 2,592,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L View Post

Sometimes I wonder what people are really looking for these days. History and culture are good, but they won't pay my mortgage or other bills.

One of the good things about going back home to visit the Los Angeles area is that most of the places that I saw growing up as a child are still there. At the same time, one of the bad things about going back home to visit the Los Angeles area is that most of the places that I saw growing up as a child are still there. I'm sure that can apply to other cities as well.

Since Metro Atlanta is still growing and spreading (to the dismay of some), there is a certain "newness" in some areas that you don't get in more established metros. My wife and I appreciate that the majority of the restaurants and shopping centers around our home are still fairly new. As far as putting down roots, I guess that has already been done since I moved here from L.A. in 1998 and my wife moved here from Little Rock in 1999. Atlanta may not be our "hometown", but our adult friendships, work relationships, and networking have all happened here. We don't plan to leave unless we end up with a job transfer or something along those lines.

I guess it goes back to what you like in the end. I couldn't care less about a "local" eatery or a place having a certain "charm". My concern at this point in my life is my family and career. Those things may not remain intact if you spend too much time jumping from city to city chasing "culture".

I agree with you.

No city is perfect. And if it is perfect, it won't remain perfect for long. People will discover its perfection and relocate.

I love Atlanta. It's a beautiful city. We're currently basking in 70 degree weather with no threat of a tsunami knocking on our door. Or for that matter an earthquake or a hurricane.

The cost of living here is very reasonable and real estate is a bargain.

There's plenty of culture here. And people are very friendly.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:46 AM

957 posts, read 3,358,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel Ya View Post
I agree with you.

No city is perfect. And if it is perfect, it won't remain perfect for long. People will discover its perfection and relocate.

I love Atlanta. It's a beautiful city. We're currently basking in 70 degree weather with no threat of a tsunami knocking on our door. Or for that matter an earthquake or a hurricane.

The cost of living here is very reasonable and real estate is a bargain.

There's plenty of culture here. And people are very friendly.
My decision was to move to either Irvine, California or Northern Atlanta. When i saw that it costs me more than $800,000 to own a modest 2300 sq ft Single Family home on a 2500 sq/ft lot in Irvine comparing to owning a new 4000 sq ft Single Family home in a gated golf course community on a half acre lot in the $400s... the decision was easy.

I chose to keep my family happy with an easily affordable mortage on one income than keeping up with the Jones in Southern California with dual income and no savings.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:21 AM

1,120 posts, read 2,592,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post

My decision was to move to either Irvine, California or Northern Atlanta. When i saw that it costs me more than $800,000 to own a modest 2300 sq ft Single Family home on a 2500 sq/ft lot in Irvine comparing to owning a new 4000 sq ft Single Family home in a gated golf course community on a half acre lot in the $400s... the decision was easy.

I chose to keep my family happy with an easily affordable mortage on one income than keeping up with the Jones in Southern California with dual income and no savings.

I'm sure you and your family will be very content and happy living in Atlanta.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:15 PM

444 posts, read 703,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSQQST View Post
"Dirth and fealth"? Your spelling is almost as bad as Bizurko's. Oh, wait a minute. Could it be? Hmmm?
To MikeandIke's defense, he often posts via his cell, which explains most of his typos on here.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:58 PM

30 posts, read 101,961 times
I don't think Atlanta is a transient city. While I do agree with some of the posters who mentioned that lack of vibrancy of the city itself, I do think that Atlanta is a very "easy" city to live in, and many people can and do spend most of their lives there.

There aren't too many major cities you can live in these days that are as cheap as Atlanta. Combine that with the fact that the people are friendly, and you can still find many neighborhoods with yards and decent school systems. That aspect alone makes it easy for the average American to settle down there.

I moved because I'm young, I love the feel of cities with an actual, walkable city core, and I work in the technology field (which provides the ability to work just about anywhere, with the West Coast providing the best quality of life for me at the moment). However, you can't deny that Atlanta provides great quality of life for most people.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:28 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,426,558 times
To some it may be transient, however compared to places like Miami/Orlando, I'd say not so. It's part of American life. Americans move quite a bit throughout their lives. I think the avg was 11 times. I will try to find the stats. From personal experience, I'd say Atlanta is not as transient as some may make it out to be. I can honestly say, I know a good amount of people that came to Atlanta 10-15 yrs ago from the Northeast, that are still here and call Atlanta home. (Although, most will cheer for NY or Boston during a basketball, or baseball game..Me included.....).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomno00 View Post
have you ever been to Fort Myers? This IS retirement heaven for rich old people and the landscape reflects that... , including the many eateries that have been born to cater to the population.
Please. That's still backwoods. Been there before, and there is nothing to brag about. That place is dead, has no life, so why are you even comparing it to Atlanta? Ft Myers- Augusta maybe (even then).

Quote:
Let's not downplay the population in Southwest Florida.... as really you are talking about more than Lee Country (where fort myers is).
That place falls flat on its face. Aside from foreclosures and retiree issues, you never hear about it. Let's move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizurko View Post
thats quite hilarious its like he thinks theres something to be proud of in southwest fl i apologize that you aren't Miami stop trying to post on a city whose level yours will never reach.

Quote:
Yes, because the "crabs in a bucket" scenario is very common in the vast ghettos of Atlanta. Pull everyone down to the bottom. No one is allowed to succeed, no one is allowed to aspire, no one is allowed to be happy. Crabs in a bucket. No grammar necessary, no proper spelling. Just be pitiful role models and teach the chill'un and the "keedz" the basest forms of human behavior.

Like all the fights at Chuck E Cheese that you hear about. Here's the latest from the chain voted Georgia's "best pizza".

Georgia Man Caught Masturbating….By His Mother…In A Chuck-E-Cheese | The Hot Glove (http://www.thehotglove.com/2011/01/georgia-man-caught-masturbatingby-motherin-chuckecheese/ - broken link)

Would YOU put roots down here after reading about this?
ROFLMAO!!!! Stop bragging about getting caught at Chuck-E-cheese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel Ya View Post
And you live in Ft. Myers! LOL!

Well, I guess it's better than beautiful Lehigh Acres.

Quote:
And I was born and raised in the atlanta area. Refer to my previous post. Maybe there are more local eateries in atl, but the SWFL area wins the local eatery per square mile pretty easily

and again... I really could care less about SWFL. I dont plan on being here too much longer.
I wonder why?

Old 03-14-2011, 07:32 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,843,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L View Post

OMG this is so right and correct in everyway.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:37 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,843,235 times
Quote:
"Dirth and fealth"? Your spelling is almost as bad as Bizurko's. Oh, wait a minute. Could it be? Hmmm?

Typing from my phone idiot. Next time you try and come for me on this forum Im going to make sure the Drag queens in Atlanta roast you again.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:22 PM

4,062 posts, read 2,141,661 times
This thread has been enlightening for me. There's at least a few people who are satisfied living here! People are often incredulous that I have retired in Atlanta. They think Portland, Seattle, San Diego, Asheville would be better.....often seems like any place but here.

It's not that my husband and I chose Atlanta as a place to retire. We have lived here for over 20 years. So we are staying in place, if for no other reasons than we couldn't sell our condo now and our health insurance wouldn't transfer out of state.

I believe in "bloom where you are planted," but people act like I am wasting my retirement to continue to live here. Yes, it's not perfect, but what place is? A friend who is moving to Portland boasts about the natural beauty and the walkability of living right in the city. He glosses over the rainy weather, high cost of living, etc.

I'm not sure how my life would be different/better if I lived somewhere else. There would be the excitement of discovering a new place. Other places may have a bit more natural beauty, but there are pretty places to hike here too. I honestly am never bored living here.

But everyone my age (I'm in my fifties) seems to just be biding their time until they retire. They then want to move back to where they came from (some still call it "home" after being here for years) to be by family or to go to where they consider to be an ideal retirement spot (one wants to move to SunCity in Florida!).

So yes, it does feel to me like Atlanta is transient. I always get surprised when I meet a native. But I have put roots here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta