Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best ATL Rapper?
T.I. 35 30.70%
Yung Joc 0 0%
Ludacris 21 18.42%
Dem Franchize Boyz 0 0%
Dem Boyz N Da Hood 1 0.88%
Young Jeezy 2 1.75%
Outkast 55 48.25%
DJ Unk 0 0%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 09:28 AM

102 posts, read 382,539 times

Advertisements

Let me clear up my whole being born n raised in Atlanta to claim Atlanta statement!

It IS okay to claim/rep Atlanta on some basis. For example, Usher & Bow Wow are not from Atlanta but moved to Atlanta at a very young age because of music. For years now they have been apart of the Atlanta music scene, lived in Atlanta, and have not tried to hide the fact that they are not from Atlanta. Da Brat and Big Boi are the same.

When you have people like Young Jeezy who came all the way from Hawkinsville, GA but wont tell anybody like he is ashamed and then tries to come off as if he was born n raised in Atlanta... that is when you need to stop fronting!

So all in all it is about the person misleading the public or not. You can claim Atlanta if you're not originally from Atlanta but don't make it sound like this is where you are from and even going as far as talking about other people false claiming Atlanta.

As for Pastor Troy who says that he is from College Park or Fairburn or where ever after repping after Augusta to the fullest extent... This may be true or it may not be. If he is from South Fulton/ClayCo than it has to be somebody that went to high school with him that could clear that up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 09:48 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
The best Atlanta rappers were Matt and Andy from the now defunct band Flap. They weren't just a rap or hip-hop group, but their rapping is better than any I've heard from anyone else in Atlanta. If you saw or heard them in the '90s, you probably agree with me.

The best example of their rapping (and ridiculous instrumental abilities) would be their song "Pickin' Up Trash" from their Flap Am in The House cd.

FLAP Am In The House

Old 04-10-2009, 07:43 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Why wasn't there a choice for, "I don't think Rap is music"?
LOL I was looking for that option, too.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:07 PM

504 posts, read 1,579,563 times
Andre 3000 and Luda coming in second.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:51 AM

706 posts, read 3,763,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Why wasn't there a choice for, "I don't think Rap is music"?
That'd be nonsense.

"I don't like rap music" makes sense

however, I'm inferring the poster is interested in the opinions of those who are familiar with the rappers and their music.

Last edited by DonnaReed; 04-12-2009 at 04:09 AM..

Old 04-12-2009, 03:52 AM

I think Outkast is very talented and diverse.

Both Luda and Jeezy have some great music.

As a rapper, TI is outstanding.

The best? Who knows?

*s*

Last edited by DonnaReed; 04-12-2009 at 04:05 AM..

Old 04-12-2009, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick_TheRiskTaker View Post
You have taken my point out of context. What I am meant is that Diddy and Ludacris are both educated and yet Diddy conveys and tries to come off as though he's a gangsta or something to that effect. But in reality and looking at their backgrounds (beyond the Vibe and Source magazine crap) they are just some good actors. I do not condone any affiliation or emulation of criminals or criminal behavior under any circumstances nor should we consider these rappers as role models or examples to our children. However, some rappers has set a little better tone for the hip hop genre (Kanye West, Common, Busta Rhymes, Outkast, LL Cool J). Unfortunately many youth can not, do not, and will not distinguish the difference between acting, exploitation and lies.
I disagree that Diddy tries to come off as a gangsta.

He grew up in NYC. He knows what goes on in the streets of NYC.
He grew up in the NYC hip-hop culture.

He never talked about hanging out in the streets or selling drugs.

He graduated high school, attended college a couple of years and began interning to achieve his goals. Also, his pursuit of success and beyond in the hip-hop has kept him close to the streets.

Diddy's rep has always been that of a sharp NYC businessman with a knack for innovation and producing hits.

btw, being a great rapper doesn't have anything to do with being a "gangsta" , a "wanna be gangsta", having or not having formal education. It's about innovation, rhythm and flow.

Last edited by DonnaReed; 04-12-2009 at 04:07 AM..

Old 04-12-2009, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterific View Post
I don't think Diddy ever gave off a gangster vibe. Some of the people signed to Bad Boy, sure. I don't believe for a minute he shot or shot at anyone in that club.

ETA: I'm not sure why DJ Unk is on the list?? He falls into the same catergory as D4L/Fabo, Soulja Boy, Jibbs, etc. No talent having soon to be 'forgettables' who blew up because party music is huge right now.
Inasmuch that I agree that Diddy's claim to fame has never been "gangsta".

I do believe the chances are high that he was guilty as charged given the perils and potential negativity that can pop off in NYC nightlife.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:01 PM

49 posts, read 110,253 times
Default Outkast

Outkast....nobody on this list compares, regardless of record sales. Outkast put Atlanta on the map.

I liked Luda more as a radio personality.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:29 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,584,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint.Patrick View Post
Outkast....nobody on this list compares, regardless of record sales. Outkast put Atlanta on the map.
100% agree with this. OutKast introduced me to Southern Rap. My stepfather was from Brooklyn. He was a huge fan of real old school hip hop (pre-1988). He had a lot of records and mixtapes. Through him I became very versed in New York hip hop. Being born and raised in Los Angeles I was already up on the local scene.

Geto Boys was my first introduction to Southern rap, but it was OutKast that truly drew me in. To this day they are my second favorite all time rap duo (behind only EPMD). OutKast pushed the limits of creativity constantly on their records. Granted, I am not an Atlanta guy. But in my opinion the rest of those rappers shouldn't even be on the same list as OutKast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta