Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 08:21 AM

15 posts, read 53,150 times

Advertisements

In an effort to make the Beltline happen faster and cheaper -- For the transportation component, what about having a golf cart trail alongside the walking and cycling trail? Although a light-rail would be nice, however it would be very expensive to install and maintain and won't really alleviate traffic congestion (especially rush hour since many companies would not be on the Beltline). When thinking about the costs to maintain and lack of rail lines where needed....just ask Marta--it hasn't been sMarta.

This would be similar to Peachtree City's 90-mile network of multi-use paths for pedestrians, cyclists, and golf carts.

It just makes more sense to me. With gas prizes continuing to rise, I would love to be able to hop on my golf cart and take a scenic drive around the 22+ mile loop to midtown, piedmont, etc. without having to get on any of the major roads.

What do you think?

---

Creative Loafing did a story 5 years ago on Michael Dobbins (city former planning commissioner and a professor at Georgia Tech's College of Architecture and City and Regional Planning) - Prefering golf carts to trains for the Beltline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 08:48 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
How far will a golf cart go on one charge? That might be a challenge.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:56 AM

15 posts, read 53,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
How far will a golf cart go on one charge? That might be a challenge.
Golf carts normally travel between 15 and 30 miles on one charge depending on the terrain you are driving, load you are carrying, and the age of your batteries. The loop is only 22 miles and i'm sure it's nothing that golf a few golf cart charging stations in the parks couldn't solve.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:24 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaRez View Post
Golf carts normally travel between 15 and 30 miles on one charge depending on the terrain you are driving, load you are carrying, and the age of your batteries. The loop is only 22 miles and i'm sure it's nothing that golf a few golf cart charging stations in the parks couldn't solve.
Are you talking about something like this...Personal rapid transit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia...but using golf cart technology? I wouldn't want the Beltline to end up being a place for leisurely strolls golf carts rather than another viable public transit option. Atlanta obviously needs more transit options.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:25 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
I think that would be pretty darn cool!

Old 04-18-2011, 09:37 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,534,516 times
I saw replace the rails with a water feature.....lets canoe around!

Old 04-18-2011, 09:37 AM

444 posts, read 703,685 times
Default Beltline Shuttle Service

I've always thought that the transit component of the Beltline should first start out with small shuttle buses, in order to build ridership. It would be cheaper and faster to implement, plus it would help condition and groom people for Beltline transit. Just like the rail, this could also be done in stages with each section connecting to a Marta station or streetcar line on each end. I think that this approach is a no-brainer.

As you can see, these shuttle buses can be quite attractive and are actually very comfortable to ride. Some can also provide wifi service and other perks.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:44 AM

Shuttle buses won't ever equal the ridership of rail transit. It would be a mistake to start with someone lesser and convert to rail later. Anyway, I doubt there will be any problem with ridership numbers...this project is highly anticipated and has been publicized for many years.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:52 AM

444 posts, read 703,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Shuttle buses won't ever equal the ridership of rail transit. It would be a mistake to start with someone lesser and convert to rail later. Anyway, I doubt there will be any problem with ridership numbers...this project is highly anticipated and has been publicized for many years.
It's better to have something in place than nothing. The way things are looking these days, rail may not happen for a while. Unless, of course, the one-cent tax manages to get passed (and we all know that's not a sure thing).

Old 04-18-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbyWAYofGA View Post
It's better to have something in place than nothing. The way things are looking these days, rail may not happen for a while. Unless, of course, the one-cent tax manages to get passed (and we all know that's not a sure thing).
Patience, grasshopper. I would rather see the project done right than something temporary thrown into place just for the sake of having it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta