Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2007, 10:28 AM

110 posts, read 438,817 times

Advertisements

hi guys,
i am considering move to downtown Atlanta around allen plaza. would like to know how is that area?

what the major difference between midtown and downtown?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 10:39 AM

96 posts, read 405,595 times
Allen Plaza? Can you provide a couple of crossroads or Landmarks?

Old 08-01-2007, 11:04 AM

1,088 posts, read 6,342,551 times
I live about three blocks from Allen Plaza and I think it is a great location. You have direct access to the interstate and the Civic Center Marta station is only a block or two away. The biggest problem with the area is it is in transition so it can still be kind of sketchy. Ivan Plaza has started to clean up the area and when Twelve at Centineal Olympic Park opens up there will be a lot more people around. Right now I feel safe walking in the area at night but I don’t feel safe if my girlfriend walks alone at night (and neither does she). There have (and still are) a lot of changes happening in the area which is making it a much better location. There are shops and restaurants you can walk to but they are pretty limited right now, I think as more condos are finished the area will get more restaurants and retail.

Downtown and Midtown have much different feels. Downtown is much older and oriented more toward the day time crowd and tourism. There are a lot of hotels, several tourist type restaurants, not a lot of residences yet (you also have these giant trade centers which take over several blocks and are devoid of any street life). Midtown is a much better mix of everything but it is already much more expensive. If you are buying I think you will see a much better return on your money out of Downtown then Midtown as Downtown is changing a lot but Midtown has more amenities and is more of a 24 hour area.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:17 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,912,112 times
It's definately a cool area and broad area. You just thave to know where to go, some of the non-tourist spots include Barley's Billiards & Sports Lounge which is the largest and best Billiards Hall in the southeast, The Mark and Sidebar, D'Jango, The Verve, Glady's Knights Chicken & Waffles, Pleasant Pheasant and the Shakespeare Tavern where you can see nice plays just to name a few. You also have Centennial Olympic Park at your doorstep, Marta and you are right next to midtown and downtown. Actually I find that where Allen Plaza is located is really on the outskirts of downtown and is located north of downtown so it's actually in-between both downtown and midtown. You would have to drive to your nearest grocery store but the with new development on Allen Plaza I believe there will be a nice corner store Publix opening up soon.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:08 PM

110 posts, read 438,817 times
thanks guys so much i appreciate your time and kind answers. i was looking to buy at Twelve at Centineal Olympic Park.
im excited i think area will improve a lot

Old 08-01-2007, 02:17 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,912,112 times
Yeah the area is already fine with me, my friend is buying there as well and you won't have a problem, ALOT of Money is being poured into that area so you have nothing to worry about if you happen to invest in that area.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:41 PM

340 posts, read 1,577,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxman777 View Post
I live about three blocks from Allen Plaza and I think it is a great location. You have direct access to the interstate and the Civic Center Marta station is only a block or two away. The biggest problem with the area is it is in transition so it can still be kind of sketchy. Ivan Plaza has started to clean up the area and when Twelve at Centineal Olympic Park opens up there will be a lot more people around. Right now I feel safe walking in the area at night but I don’t feel safe if my girlfriend walks alone at night (and neither does she). There have (and still are) a lot of changes happening in the area which is making it a much better location. There are shops and restaurants you can walk to but they are pretty limited right now, I think as more condos are finished the area will get more restaurants and retail.

Downtown and Midtown have much different feels. Downtown is much older and oriented more toward the day time crowd and tourism. There are a lot of hotels, several tourist type restaurants, not a lot of residences yet (you also have these giant trade centers which take over several blocks and are devoid of any street life). Midtown is a much better mix of everything but it is already much more expensive. If you are buying I think you will see a much better return on your money out of Downtown then Midtown as Downtown is changing a lot but Midtown has more amenities and is more of a 24 hour area.
I will move to a condo in Allen Plaza very soon; your experiences and infomation are valuable to me and appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta