Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2011, 08:18 AM

2 posts, read 4,172 times

Advertisements

Hi city-data,

I've been lurking for a few years and would like to thank you all for helping me narrow down me search of a new place to live. You've saved me from making some mistakes that would have been COSTLY.

I'm 24, Caucasian male, born in MA, and have lived between southern New England and the Southwest my whole life. Currently living life and hating it in Worcester County, MA. I graduated college in December 2009 with a BS in Marketing and have had absolutely no luck in finding my way into a career here. I had a high GPA but I was a late transfer into the business major and therefore didn't get any internships, so that makes it all the more difficult. Currently, I drive a Sprinter van and deliver fiberglass insulation for $11.50 an hour, and no benefits.

I can't live here anymore. Between the weather, the unbelievably high cost of living, and the overall attitude out here, I'm turning into everything I wanted to avoid becoming. And I've decided I need out. The only reason I've been here since 2007 was to help my mother take care of my grandfather, and he passed about a month ago, so, not to sound morbid, but - I'm free!

I'm thinking about Atlanta, because I've heard a lot of good things about it. Affordable living, good local economy, friendly people, and most recently I read that it's the best city in the country for grads looking to make an entry into their career fields. I don't have a link, but it was one of the first hits after Googling "Atlanta recent grads".

Some of my favorite things come out of Atlanta too. Adult Swim, Prefuse 73, Coca Cola, Kenny Powers...

But in any case, I'd like to hear some opinions from both natives and transplants about the availability of jobs (marketing and advertising related positions), cost of living, and some recommended areas in town of within half an hour for somebody like me. Also, I'd like to hear from any New England ex-pats about adjusting to life down there. I'm not one of those Massh*les who chugs Dunkies, wears a tilted Red Sox cap and gets frikkin' wasted on Natty Ice all the time, but I do have an accent and can get impatient on occasion with slow people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 08:45 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,803,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryingpanvsfire View Post
Hi city-data,

I've been lurking for a few years and would like to thank you all for helping me narrow down me search of a new place to live. You've saved me from making some mistakes that would have been COSTLY.

I'm 24, Caucasian male, born in MA, and have lived between southern New England and the Southwest my whole life. Currently living life and hating it in Worcester County, MA. I graduated college in December 2009 with a BS in Marketing and have had absolutely no luck in finding my way into a career here. I had a high GPA but I was a late transfer into the business major and therefore didn't get any internships, so that makes it all the more difficult. Currently, I drive a Sprinter van and deliver fiberglass insulation for $11.50 an hour, and no benefits.

I can't live here anymore. Between the weather, the unbelievably high cost of living, and the overall attitude out here, I'm turning into everything I wanted to avoid becoming. And I've decided I need out. The only reason I've been here since 2007 was to help my mother take care of my grandfather, and he passed about a month ago, so, not to sound morbid, but - I'm free!

I'm thinking about Atlanta, because I've heard a lot of good things about it. Affordable living, good local economy, friendly people, and most recently I read that it's the best city in the country for grads looking to make an entry into their career fields. I don't have a link, but it was one of the first hits after Googling "Atlanta recent grads".

Some of my favorite things come out of Atlanta too. Adult Swim, Prefuse 73, Coca Cola, Kenny Powers...

But in any case, I'd like to hear some opinions from both natives and transplants about the availability of jobs (marketing and advertising related positions), cost of living, and some recommended areas in town of within half an hour for somebody like me. Also, I'd like to hear from any New England ex-pats about adjusting to life down there. I'm not one of those Massh*les who chugs Dunkies, wears a tilted Red Sox cap and gets frikkin' wasted on Natty Ice all the time, but I do have an accent and can get impatient on occasion with slow people.
Its hard in most places now.So if you do come what ever you do visit FIRST if you have never been.This is a good first place before your visit.If you are looking to be in a city like Atlanta ,you will see it is a friendly city where the average age is young and a fair amount of single people.Lots oof college and universities help make that so.

If you are looking for a NYC type place the No Atlanta like most cities in the U.S. do not measure up.NYC is NYC.

The weather is great accept in the extreme Sumer months ,it can be unbearably humid and hot.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:59 AM

75 posts, read 118,868 times
Atlanta is for everyone and not just for college. I prayed to Jesus to help me find a way to Atlanta. Has anyone heard of the Flying Biscit? Is there one in Castleberry? I need to be able to pay for my kids daycare cuz the apartment building won't cover the daycare. I think a waitress makes more $ than a greeter or receptionist.

Praise be to God the Almighty!
~Markesha

Old 05-15-2011, 02:23 PM

3,711 posts, read 5,990,168 times
I would not move here without a job. The local economy is improving but not yet 'good'--we are 0.8% above the national unemployment rate. The economy is mediocre.

Lifestyle for recent grads is pretty good though. You can get a decent apartment for $800-900 in a cool area that's walking distance to bars and restaurants and stuff. But you need a job to enjoy all this, needless to say, and there are lots of folks out there looking for them.

Best of luck.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:47 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,108,499 times
The marketing/business field is actually not too bad down here. All of my friends that are recent grads with good GPAs and business degrees have found jobs, and pretty good ones at that. There are a lot of New Englanders in Atlanta. The girl I am currently dating is from Boston (Duxbury) and loves it here. Good luck.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:17 PM

2 posts, read 4,172 times
bringbackcobain, could you recommend some local firms, startups, publications, job search resources to look at?

testa50, thanks for being honest. I wouldn't move anywhere without having a job lined up first though. I learned my lesson after returning to MA from NM with a total of $700 to my name o_0

Old 05-15-2011, 04:27 PM

3,711 posts, read 5,990,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryingpanvsfire View Post
testa50, thanks for being honest. I wouldn't move anywhere without having a job lined up first though. I learned my lesson after returning to MA from NM with a total of $700 to my name o_0
That's good--it sounds like you've got the right attitude about this.

As far as neighborhoods go, young people wanting to live in town usually head for the areas east of downtown: Old Fourth Ward, Grant Park, Inman Park, Candler Park, Decatur, Virginia Highland. These areas tend to be pretty young and liberal. Midtown is a good option for all sorts of folks, but it is relatively costly.

Where your job ends up being is important: many jobs in Atlanta are 30 minutes or so north of downtown. This might make you feel more limited when it comes to finding the right neighborhood for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: