Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2011, 08:58 PM

16,706 posts, read 29,537,876 times

Advertisements

Transit Expansion in Metro Atlanta: Los Angeles and Measure R--a template/"how to" for our region?

Take a look:

Los Angeles County rail projects: Metropolitan Transportation Authority is poised to accelerate its rail projects - latimes.com

Rail projects funded by Measure R - latimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-metro-budget.eps-20110515,0,5172788.graphic - broken link)

Thoughts? Comments? Could Metro Atlanta implement something like this for transit expansion?

And don't forget to Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 09:28 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,892,366 times
If you enjoy digging enough (I don't), then I think it was the Travel or Discovery Channel that last year had a very interesting documentary about rail/transit in L.A. from the mid-1900s. Look it up if it's online and it's worth watching and very informative. It appears that a company that built monorail systems offered to build a FREE monorail system in L.A. that had a pretty impressive reach. Free materials, free labor. All L.A. had to do was collect fares and pay for maintaining the system, and if they allowed it to be advertised properly the company that built it would even pitch in for that. This would have led to a very extensive rail system by now, if it had been built.

Put short, people in little suits showed up at City Hall, and convinced the then Mayor that it would be more feasible to use "commuter buses" instead... buses that used diesel for fuel. They went with this, dumping the free transit offer.

Decades later, which led to the documentary, it came to light that all of the major oil companies had people and stock in the company that ran that commuter bus system. Go figure.

L.A. is not the only city that has been greatly "influenced" by the oil mafia over the decades. The L.A. system was shelved by them... the U.S. rail system was pretty much shut down by them except for a few tracks left today, among others. Atlanta, the "car city of the South", I'm sure has been held by many oil execs behind the scenes for many years, as I would be shocked if it weren't true, most likely a number of State leaders as well. "Gifts" go a long way when creating State laws and distributing funding.

L.A. leaders finally started to give big oil the cold shoulder (some). I would doubt Georgia leaders are that progressive yet. Good for our region? Yes. Will it happen anytime soon here? No. Thank oil people for that (and those who cave to their offers).

Old 05-15-2011, 09:31 PM

16,706 posts, read 29,537,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
If you enjoy digging enough (I don't), then I think it was the Travel or Discovery Channel that last year had a very interesting documentary about rail/transit in L.A. from the mid-1900s. Look it up if it's online and it's worth watching and very informative. It appears that a company that built monorail systems offered to build a FREE monorail system in L.A. that had a pretty impressive reach. Free materials, free labor. All L.A. had to do was collect fares and pay for maintaining the system, and if they allowed it to be advertised properly the company that built it would even pitch in for that. This would have led to a very extensive rail system by now, if it had been built.

Put short, people in little suits showed up at City Hall, and convinced the then Mayor that it would be more feasible to use "commuter buses" instead... buses that used diesel for fuel. They went with this, dumping the free transit offer.

Decades later, which led to the documentary, it came to light that all of the major oil companies had people and stock in the company that ran that commuter bus system. Go figure.

L.A. is not the only city that has been greatly "influenced" by the oil mafia over the decades. The L.A. system was shelved by them... the U.S. rail system was pretty much shut down by them except for a few tracks left today, among others. Atlanta, the "car city of the South", I'm sure has been held by many oil execs behind the scenes for many years, as I would be shocked if it weren't true, most likely a number of State leaders as well. "Gifts" go a long way when creating State laws and distributing funding.

L.A. leaders finally started to give big oil the cold shoulder (some). I would doubt Georgia leaders are that progressive yet. Good for our region? Yes. Will it happen anytime soon here? No. Thank oil people for that (and those who cave to their offers).

I saw the documentary that your talking about--very informative...and depressing.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:54 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,311,460 times
Thanks for the info. I'm gonna have to look into this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: