Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2011, 04:12 PM

17 posts, read 45,145 times

Advertisements

I will be attending Georgia State next fall to major in Real Estate(the program is supposedly really good).

Where do most students live? I will rent at first and probably buy pretty soon after. A lot of the new buildings have great deals on one bedrooms.

What would be the normal rent for a nice one bedroom apt in a good area?(would like granite, stainless, etc)

It also must be MARTA accessible.

I would like to be able to walk to Starbucks, delis, clubs, etc.

Info
-Straight White Male(I am also Hispanic but look white)
-Preppy
-Conservative
-Currently I live with my mom in the Washington DC suburbs in VA, my mom is planning on moving to the Atlanta area in the next year(she has been looking in Buckhead, Sandy Springs, & Johns Creek).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 04:18 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,534,516 times
Welcome, I would suggest living on campus the first year as an experience...then move out on your own.

Look for classes with Professor Hamby, great teacher.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:24 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,106 times
Yeah, live in the dorms at least your first year until you get to know the city better, then you can think about going on your own if you still want to.

I lived in the dorms back when they were The Village across from Georgia Tech and had a great time.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:11 PM

747 posts, read 1,544,440 times
I don't think you necessarily have to live on campus. Of course, the school is pushing for students to do so now, but I never did during the 4 years I went there (graduated with a real estate degree).

You sound like a good candidate for Buckhead. It's preppy and more conservative than the rest of town. There are 2 MARTA stations there, and you can get plenty of places on foot, although I'm not going to say it's a walkers paradise. Well, unless you count the Lindbergh area as Buckhead which would make that 3 stations. The area around the station was developed as a transit oriented development, with shopping, bars, restaurants, and condos/apts centered around the train station.

Knowing nothing of your budget, but seeing that you prefer SS and granite, I would suggest these:

Alexan Lenox Rentals in Atlanta, GA (studios from $815, across from Lenox Mall and the Lenox MARTA Station)
AMLI Lindbergh Apartments in Atlanta, GA | Photos & Media | Apartments.com (from $1,000)Lindbergh Vista Apartments in Atlanta, GA | Apartments.com (from $899)eon at Lindbergh Apartments in Atlanta, GA | Apartments.com $1090)Tuscany at Lindbergh Apartments in Atlanta, GA | Apartments.com (from$825)

Old 05-29-2011, 09:35 AM

876 posts, read 2,278,549 times
Well, if you want to rent, find something close to the school which is in Downtown Atlanta but you may not like living in that area. As you explore Atlanta, you will find areas you like more than others. Downtown is gritty, midtown is nicer and so Buckhead is more "preppy."

I would hunt around in downtown, midtown and even Buckhead, which is relatively close. The closer, the better. If you get something relatively close to the MARTA rail line, even better if you prefer not to drive.

If you choose Buckhead for a 1 BR in a pretty decent neighborhood, easily you are paying $800-900+ a month.

It looks like your mom will choose some place pretty far out to me, and it is a hassle to commute into downtown from those areas you mention (other than Buckhead).

GSU is considered a good business school and as such, I think your choice is a good one. Best of luck!

Old 05-30-2011, 06:43 AM

172 posts, read 393,716 times
Renaissance Walk (http://www.liveatsweetauburn.com/home.htm) is a private development currently renting right in the middle of the GSU student housing area. It has all of the amenities you want (plus parking which is tough to get Downtown) but you're going to pay around 1K a month. There is also the Pencil Factory Lofts/Flats development (http://www.perennialproperties.net/s...factory_flats/) that is a short walk from campus, has a nice set of amenities on the retail level (several good restaurants, dry cleaners, coffee shop, hair salons, small grocery market), and sits right next to a MARTA station. It's also two blocks from the Edgewood corridor which provides a pretty diverse nightlife. I would imagine rent to be in the high 800s and up.

Last edited by RZaakir; 05-30-2011 at 06:44 AM.. Reason: Added links

Old 05-30-2011, 12:43 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2LA2DCeventuallyATL View Post
I will be attending Georgia State next fall to major in Real Estate(the program is supposedly really good).

Where do most students live? I will rent at first and probably buy pretty soon after. A lot of the new buildings have great deals on one bedrooms.

What would be the normal rent for a nice one bedroom apt in a good area?(would like granite, stainless, etc)

It also must be MARTA accessible.

I would like to be able to walk to Starbucks, delis, clubs, etc.

Info
-Straight White Male(I am also Hispanic but look white)
-Preppy
-Conservative
-Currently I live with my mom in the Washington DC suburbs in VA, my mom is planning on moving to the Atlanta area in the next year(she has been looking in Buckhead, Sandy Springs, & Johns Creek).
There are a number of apartments around the North Springs Marta station which is in Sandy Springs. There is another apartment beside the Lindbergh station and I think Lenox too. If not living on campus the most reliable, frequent, and longest hours of MARTA service is the rail service.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:26 PM

21 posts, read 48,991 times
Im a senior at State. The dorms are nice, but pretty strict and very expensive. City Plaza is 3 blocks away and cheap

Old 07-17-2011, 02:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,554 times
I Am Going To GA State To ! I'm Living In The Freshman Halls ! Nice To Met You !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta