Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2011, 05:28 AM

38 posts, read 86,601 times

Advertisements

With AT&T having failed at the last chance I gave them (they moved my service from my old apartment to my new apartment 2 weeks early - the new being on wouldn't be a problem as much as the old apartment off), I'm looking for a new internet provider. On an interim basis I'm using a Virgin Mobile MiFi device - it does fairly well, but I don't want to go that way long term.

So, I'm looking for a new internet provider, cable or DSL for the new place. Who do you have and are you happy with them?

I'm not sure that it really matters, but I'm in Decatur - both the old place and the new.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 05:33 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
i found clear wireless internet to be good service. If you are looking for internet only, or internet/Sat TV.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:25 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Comcast's Internet service has been good for me.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:32 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
All I can say is "good luck".

Comcast/Xfinity is iffy in many areas, though some people have had success using it in some parts of the metro. In my area, everyone I know who has had it have disconnected from it due to constant outages and poor customers service.

"Clear" is an option if you don't need max speeds, and make sure you see their coverage map before signing up, as signal strength varies greatly in the metro area and not every area is covered yet.

AT&T I've given up on. Their old DSL is having speed/connection issues due to overloading, and the customer service on U-verse is so insanely poor it would almost be laughable. I tried to upgrade to U-verse and after multiple entry errors on the part of their reps, I gave up and just cancelled. Others I know who use it vary from "satisfied once they get it working" to "OMG I almost killed myself dealing with them"... so try at your own risk.

In other words, there are no "great" providers here.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:37 AM

823 posts, read 2,216,168 times
The other thing to keep in mind with Clear is the tress. One of my co-workers had it for a while. The coverage map looked good for them and in the winter thing were fine. Then in the spring when the trees started filling out again it went downhill fast.

If you have already decided to show AT&T the door, Comcast would be the only choice.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:58 AM

38 posts, read 86,601 times
Thanks all.

Clear isn't an option at my new place - I might try comcast, though I typically dislike them a lot.

I've got a surprisingly good signal on the virgin mobile MiFi - enough that I can stream netflix. So I can take my time and consider the options. @atlantagreg - I've heart that from coworkers about UVerse. A couple had a horrid time, a couple found it simple.

Another coworker recommended ATxnet for DSL - but I have to have a phone line installed for that. It is, though, an option if I decide that I want to go that way.

Last edited by ellbeecee; 06-18-2011 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: update link so it looks less spamish

Old 06-18-2011, 02:09 PM

950 posts, read 3,192,065 times
Xfinity

Xfinity is owned by Comcast - I don't know how they are.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:06 PM

17 posts, read 52,735 times
We just switched from Clear to AT&T Uverse today.

The Clear worked ok in our previous apartment, but in our new home it has a lot of trouble. Download speed test averages about 1-2mbps. Very inconsistent and speed goes in and out. Good deal though at $40 a month flat (no taxes, extra charges, etc.) If anyone wants to give it a shot, there is no contract and we have removed - advertising an item is not allowed.

We just got Uverse hooked up today and so far we are impressed with the service. We had a little bit of a hiccup because the person we signed up with told us the service would not use the phone line at all. We had covered our phone jacks with blank plates since the old jacks were the horrible old style ivory and we don't have home phone. However, the install guy was able to get it all hooked back up. I guess the problem was that the service comes from a box at the other end of our building and that is way too far to run and bury a coax. The phone line automatically gets the signal from the boxes on that end, so they converted a phone jack into a phone/cable combo to get the service run throughout the house.

Very good quality and download speed is as promised so far. We may have a few more hiccups on getting the extra gift cards we were promised for signing up with a person and not online. But we have been reassured that we will receive them and if not we'll keep calling until we do get them.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 06-18-2011 at 09:37 PM..

Old 06-19-2011, 09:09 AM

957 posts, read 3,357,567 times
I have a scheduled an appointment with Comcast the day of my closing in the Johns Creek area. Will comcast get me up and runnning for Wi-Fi on the same day?

Old 06-19-2011, 09:26 AM

876 posts, read 2,278,839 times
Just like most areas of the US, we have either tweedle DUM or Tweedle DEE for ISP choices (most areas have Comcast [cable] or AT&T [dsl]).

Though this does not apply to your situation, ellbeecee, in select exurbs, you might have Charter [cable] or even another cable company, but forget now which name it is (as they do change their names/ownership). Nonetheless, all have problems with customer service or reception. Just as already mentioned here, your choices are limited to where you live to some degree and some other variables of your physical location.

I dislike them all, however, I did not have enough courage to try Clear (for wi-fi). I might venture out next time when I get annoyed with either Dee or Dum to the point of cancellation.

If you prefer to do more research about some ISPs, especially if you are new to the area, I recommend DSLReports website. None of these customer-service issues are local by any means with telecom monopolies, just go over to Broadbandreports and read select reviews of just about *ANY* North American ISP: https://secure.dslreports.com/forums/all

Thanks, ellbeecee, I am not familiar with ATxnet, maybe I can look into it one day when I have enough motivation to switch due to crappy customer service, outages or being overbilled.

General rule of thumb for most of us in the metro is if you want high speed, you go with Comcast, but if that is not an issue for you, AT&T DSL is your second option.

Last edited by SW30303; 06-19-2011 at 09:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: