Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 07:50 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times

Advertisements

Atlanta City Councilman Kwanza Hall decided to introduce legislation that, if passed, would extend bar hours to 4 a.m.
Later bar hours! Food trucks! Councilman unveils legislation to change Atlanta — possibly the world? — forever! | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta
My personal feeling is that it should be left up to the areas where the bars are located. The local residents are the ones with the most skin in the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 08:46 PM

969 posts, read 1,959,647 times
Having lived in NYC for a little while where bars close at 4am, I don't see anything wrong with this. This city used to have a true 24 hour, vibrant nightlife that attracted young people from all over and it's kind of lost its luster. I think it's a great way to attract young professionals to the city who want a vibrant lifestyle. It's nice to have more families in the city too, but I'm concerned people are trying to make the city too much like the suburbs in terms of constantly opposing any sort of nightlife.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:47 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,957 times
Interesting name.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:07 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,022,098 times
If people can drink at 3:50pm at strip clubs, braves games, nascar games, restaurants, etc while kids are leaving school why can't they do the same at 3:50am when most people are sleep? Why can't they change it to 4am on Saturday and SUnday?

If they do this it will give me a reason to move into the city

Old 06-21-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Atlanta City Councilman Kwanza Hall decided to introduce legislation that, if passed, would extend bar hours to 4 a.m.
Later bar hours! Food trucks! Councilman unveils legislation to change Atlanta — possibly the world? — forever! | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta
My personal feeling is that it should be left up to the areas where the bars are located. The local residents are the ones with the most skin in the game.
Why single out bars? It isn't left up to the area when a restaurant sells alcohol during the evening

Old 06-21-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
If they do this it will give me a reason to move into the city
Last call is 2 am in Boston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Philadelphia, Houston, Denver and many other cities that are considered lively and sophisticated. I can't understand why that's not sufficient for Atlanta. If you truly need a drink you can go to Underground, or, heaven forbid, go to a private residence and continue.

Frankly, I don't like people carousing in my hood after 2 am, especially if they don't live here or have any investment in this part of the city. Experience has shown that that sort of thing often leads to a lot of abuse.

They could put a special tax on ultra late night bars to pay for the extra policing, security and clean up needed to keep it from getting out of control. It's hard to imagine ultra late night people objecting to that.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Last call is 2 am in Boston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Philadelphia, Houston, Denver and many other cities that are considered lively and sophisticated. I can't understand why that's not sufficient for Atlanta. If you truly need a drink you can go to Underground, or, heaven forbid, go to a private residence and continue.

Frankly, I don't like people carousing in my hood after 2 am, especially if they don't live here or have any investment in this part of the city. Experience has shown that that sort of thing often leads to a lot of abuse.

They could put a special tax on ultra late night bars to pay for the extra policing, security and clean up needed to keep it from getting out of control. It's hard to imagine ultra late night people objecting to that.
Those cities are not competing against atl for comventions...cities such as Vegas, Miami, nyc, new Orleans which have either a 4am last call or no last call at all are competing against atl. I dont like people in my area shopping or going to the grocery store at 3pm but they still do it. If a bar can't stay open until 4am the braves games should close earlier because they sell alcohol. I do not see the reason for people to drink at restaurants so they should close them earlier. The airport should close earlier since they sell alcohol. Stop all festivals because they serve alcohol. Let's not just pick on bars, if drinking is so bad all establishments that serve alcohol should close earlier to make things fair. FYI....so its ok for people who r up to no good to cruise your neighborhood in the day time but not at.night?

Old 06-21-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
....so its ok for people who r up to no good to cruise your neighborhood in the day time but not at.night?
Don't be ridiculous. We live in a city so we all put up with things that may not be entirely to our liking. But it has to be reasonable.

Everyone knows that late night carousing, especially in predominantly residential neighborhoods, needs to come to an end at some point. And especially when it is being carried out by people who don't live in the neighborhood or have any investment in it. This is true in cities everywhere. 2 am is quite sufficient for the vast majority of people.

Atlanta's residential neighborhoods are not in competition with Vegas, South Beach or Bourbon Street. Conventioneers like to enjoy the cities they're visiting but the vast majority don't care about crawling through nightclubs after 2 am.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Don't be ridiculous. We live in a city so we all put up with things that may not be entirely to our liking. But it has to be reasonable.

Everyone knows that late night carousing, especially in predominantly residential neighborhoods, needs to come to an end at some point. And especially when it is being carried out by people who don't live in the neighborhood or have any investment in it. This is true in cities everywhere. 2 am is quite sufficient for the vast majority of people.

Atlanta's residential neighborhoods are not in competition with Vegas, South Beach or Bourbon Street. Conventioneers like to enjoy the cities they're visiting but the vast majority don't care about crawling through nightclubs after 2 am.
You still didn't answer the question,if cruising is bad its bad 24/7 right? Troublemakers can cruise your neighborhood
anytime of the day except for 2am? It's reasonable to want bars to open an additional hour just like its reasonable to want any other venue such as sports stadium, malls, restaurants, strip clubs, etc not to close an hour earlier because of alcohol sales. We.can't pick and choose what venues to close early because of alcohol, we need to be fair across.the board. BTW I don't even drink. Most blacks don't really get that drunk at clubs anymore because the drink prices r too high.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:08 AM

567 posts, read 890,046 times
Quote:
Most blacks don't really get that drunk at clubs anymore because the drink prices r too high.
Where did the OP use race!? Let's just leave it at that. We already have enough of these race wars going on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta