Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 11:59 AM

35 posts, read 92,732 times

Advertisements

Hello.

My family and I are considering moving to the Atlanta Metro area in May of 2010. I am a software engineer with over a decade of experience in consulting. My wife is a master degreed elementary school math teacher. We have four school-age children and are looking for an area that we can afford on a combined income of $120,000+. We do not want to live in apartments, so we want to initially rent a single-family home, and if we decide that we like Atlanta, we will purchase a home. We have done some research on the internet and are now considering Smyrna, Mableton, or Lithonia. I would appreciate anyone’s opinion on our choices, or some other suburb/city in metro Atlanta that may be a more appropriate choice for us. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Last edited by softwareengineer1101; 08-31-2009 at 12:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 12:50 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,896,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softwareengineer1101 View Post
Hello.

My family and I are considering moving to the Atlanta Metro area in May of 2010. I am a software engineer with over a decade of experience in consulting. My wife is a master degreed elementary school math teacher. We have four school-age children and are looking for an area that we can afford on a combined income of $120,000+. We do not want to live in apartments, so we want to initially rent a single-family home, and if we decide that we like Atlanta, we will purchase a home. We have done some research on the internet and are now considering Smyrna, Mableton, or Lithonia. I would appreciate anyone’s opinion on our choices, or some other suburb/city in metro Atlanta that may be a more appropriate choice for us. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Seems like your nice family , too nice for any of those cities you mentioned . Smyrna may be ok in some places but unless your black and heavily armed I would'nt even visit the other two much less live there . We visited St.Mountain 4 years ago and we have never seen the reverse racism so bold and aggressiveness in places of business in our life .

No I'm not a 'racist' just stating facts { It is sad how divided we have become in past couple decades }.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:54 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,426,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
Seems like your nice family , too nice for any of those cities you mentioned . Smyrna may be ok in some places but unless your black and heavily armed I would'nt even visit the other two much less live there . We visited St.Mountain 4 years ago and we have never seen the reverse racism so bold and aggressiveness in places of business in our life .

No I'm not a 'racist' just stating facts { It is sad how divided we have become in past couple decades }.
I always had questions about Mableton. Some have told me it was nice area. I will take a drive there soon. I was interested in land there, but was told it wasn't well developed. (Dont want to deal with wildlife..snakes etc)

Also a little contradiction on your post, you act as if we've always been a united country, we have never been that. Just stating...

Old 08-31-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
I always had questions about Mableton. Some have told me it was nice area. I will take a drive there soon. I was interested in land there, but was told it wasn't well developed. (Dont want to deal with wildlife..snakes etc)

Also a little contradiction on your post, you act as if we've always been a united country, we have never been that. Just stating...

Your right we never quite got there, but we were close at one time in the 70s and 80s .

I'm from Atlanta lived there for over 50 years . What MLK built up the race hustlers tore down .

I think the best placers to live there are 35 south of Atlanta or 25 miles north . I have family in both .

Old 08-31-2009, 02:57 PM

750 posts, read 2,277,172 times
Quote:
Hello.

I have lived in both Smyrna and Mableton and would recommend both of the places. I currently live in Mableton and I love it. Your close to Atlanta and Vinings and the airport but not too close to where the traffic is a nightmare (I can hit back roads and be in Buckhead in 25 mins also). Mableton is slowing coming to it's own, with all the new neighborhoods and the rumors of what they are putting where the old Bankhead Courts were I think it's just going to get better and better. I wouldn't imagine you have any issues finding a home to rent in either of those areas, hopefully someone else can give you some insight on Lithonia.

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ood-place.html

http://www.ajc.com/services/content/homefinder/stories/2009/02/08/mableton_spotlight.html?cxntlid=inform_sr (broken link) <--- article about Mableton in the AJC.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:

We ARE black , and we are not concerned with how many black or white people reside where ever we settle. We a looking for a relatively safe location in metro Atlanta, with good public or private schools, that is affordable given our combined incomes.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:06 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,091,753 times
Quote:
We ARE black , and we are not concerned with how many black or white people reside where ever we settle. We a looking for a relatively safe location in metro Atlanta, with good public or private schools, that is affordable given our combined incomes.
I would suggest the City of Decatur for your family. I had a client describe it as "Where Mayberry meets Berkley". Although it is in the city - it has a wonderful small town feel and the Decatur School System is excellent.

City of Decatur, GA

City Schools of Decatur

Old 08-31-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonPaul View Post
I have lived in both Smyrna and Mableton and would recommend both of the places. I currently live in Mableton and I love it. Your close to Atlanta and Vinings and the airport but not too close to where the traffic is a nightmare (I can hit back roads and be in Buckhead in 25 mins also). Mableton is slowing coming to it's own, with all the new neighborhoods and the rumors of what they are putting where the old Bankhead Courts were I think it's just going to get better and better. I wouldn't imagine you have any issues finding a home to rent in either of those areas, hopefully someone else can give you some insight on Lithonia.

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ood-place.html

Atlanta Metro News*| ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/services/content/homefinder/stories/2009/02/08/mableton_spotlight.html?cxntlid=inform_sr - broken link) <--- article about Mableton in the AJC.
We really like the Vinnings Estates area, so this may help us decide. Thanks.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:

I really don't care if your black or green, don't matter to me. Blacks kill each other too . So don't play race card with me .If you didn't want an answer don't ask a question . In some parts of town race does make a difference, fact like it or not . I happy to like most black people ,but not card carriers .

Old 08-31-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I really don't care if your black or green, don't matter to me. Blacks kill each other too . So don't play race card with me .If you didn't want an answer don't ask a question . In some parts of town race does make a difference, fact like it or not . I happy to like most black people ,but not card carriers .
I'm not playing the "Race Card". I was just letting you know that we don't care who the majority is where ever we decide to relocate to. I was responding to your "unless your black and heavily armed I wouldn’t even visit the other two much less live there." statement. I didn't mention race in my original post, but you did in yours. No disrespect intended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta