Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 10:55 AM

3 posts, read 10,662 times

Advertisements

Ok.. so we have been waiting for a long time to purchase a new home in the North Fulton area. We have zero'ed down on the Kimball Estates sub div in Alpharetta. Relatively newer subdiv but the location is ideal for both of us since we work around the John's creek area.

While having one of my friends inspect the lot, he mentioned how close some of the lots are to the high voltage power lines.( not your standard wooden ones , these are the huge ugly ones that have huge suspended wires) . Upon doing some research online , we did hear some negative reviews about how EHV ( ultra high voltage) lines were 'believed' to cause health issues like cancer, lukemia, miscarriages etc.

I started feeling a bit better after reading that nothing has scientifically been proven ' yet' to link health to the Electro Magnetic field.
But again, I had a co worker suggest to me not to live close to those things for more than 10 yrs ..( his brothers family did go thru some illness but it was cured after a while)

Has anyone lived in a subdivision with these huge power lines cutting thru it ? What you think about resale if that is case
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 11:20 AM

3 posts, read 10,580 times
hi admperk -
I am familiar with that area, I live around kimball br and waters rd ..not too far away from where you are looking to buy.
Not too familiar with the hazards of the high voltange lines, so can't comment on that.
Its a good safe area to live in. But here is my take on the location - try to find something closer to 400 if you commute to downtown often.
I work south of downtown and its a pain to get onto 400 in the mornings, especailly with all the construction going on Kimball bridge off late.
Even without the constuction a year ago , it used to take me atleast 20 mins to get onto the highway. Peachtree ind rdis an option, but doesn't work for us.

hope that helps

Old 07-01-2011, 11:29 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,876,421 times
There have been numerous studies about living around strong electromagnetic fields. Little conclusive evidence, just like the cell phone dangers debate. But personally, I would not want to live within close proximity to power lines like that (nor do I use cell phones for excessive amounts of time).

Your best bet is to just "google" as much of the topics and research as you can, and make your own decision as to whether you feel there are risks involved in such an environment, or if you feel it's nothing to worry about.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:40 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
The debate about EMF goes both way, But... I would think more re-sale A house with The lines will sell for less, (plus for you when you buy). and be harder to sell. Given two homes in the same sub/div the fear factor, and the effect of having them behind the house, will weigh someone buying the home to pick the other home 1st. So the home with the lines behind it will have to sell at a discount to counter the fear factor.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:41 AM

1,120 posts, read 2,590,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by admperk View Post

Ok.. so we have been waiting for a long time to purchase a new home in the North Fulton area. We have zero'ed down on the Kimball Estates sub div in Alpharetta. Relatively newer subdiv but the location is ideal for both of us since we work around the John's creek area.

While having one of my friends inspect the lot, he mentioned how close some of the lots are to the high voltage power lines.( not your standard wooden ones , these are the huge ugly ones that have huge suspended wires) . Upon doing some research online , we did hear some negative reviews about how EHV ( ultra high voltage) lines were 'believed' to cause health issues like cancer, lukemia, miscarriages etc.

I started feeling a bit better after reading that nothing has scientifically been proven ' yet' to link health to the Electro Magnetic field.
But again, I had a co worker suggest to me not to live close to those things for more than 10 yrs ..( his brothers family did go thru some illness but it was cured after a while)

Has anyone lived in a subdivision with these huge power lines cutting thru it ? What you think about resale if that is case

I have no idea as to whether the high voltage lines pose a health risk.

Regardless, though, often times PERCEPTION IS REALITY. What the scientific evidence says may be one thing. However what the public believes may be another thing.

Since there's never been a buyer's market like this one, I think I would just move on and look for a house elsewhere. There's so many houses that don't have voltage lines within close proximity.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:56 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,034 times
You may want to watch this before you decide:

http://youtu.be/vaaU3NziwGI

Old 07-01-2011, 01:48 PM

3 posts, read 10,580 times
I agree with the earlier poster, when in doubt just don't do it !! Especially in this housing market. Kimball estates is not a bad subdivision, if this was 4 years ago when I bought in that area.. I would have stopped thinking and went in to buy a house no matter what.
As we all know, things have changed since then and will stay this way for a very looong time .

Infact forgot to mention in my earlier post , Pulte has new subdivision comming up on Kimball estates that present a much better value IMHO.
Plus, Pulte is a well known reputed builder than Sharp. We live in a community built by Centex, and not really happy about the workmanship. Heard decent enough reviews about Pulte though.

Remember , RE is always about location, location and location ! And if it was me , I would never buy in a subdivision with high voltage lines or cell towers nearby or even for that matter if they cut thru the community.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:21 PM

876 posts, read 2,277,703 times
I know the area is fine. I have a relative who lives right off Kimball Bridge area which is in Johns Creek. I would not hesitate to buy there for long time keeping, even with power lines.

Honestly, the power lines don't worry me personally and I have lived near some for a long time in my life (including those large GA power ones) and never had an issue myself and nothing adverse to other people that I know of. I think it is one of those issues that could be argued either way. I remember some elderly people who lived in one of those type of neighborhoods for 35 years plus with no issue. I think power lines are just one of many potentially adverse factors, mostly for resale.

But if that is your issue and despite reading about potential possible health problems, including resale, I would continue looking. You indeed have lots of choices in the current market. If you are really sold on the house in question, I would make a very low offer to see what happens - Good luck in your decision.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:12 PM

3 posts, read 10,662 times
Default Thank

Thanks all for your valuable insights ! I really appreciate it ..

After watching the funny video posted by DTL300 ( lol.. it is funny) , another video got my attention

http://www.youtube.com/fhyh7ugGjFc

This basically show the existance of stong electro magnetic fields even from 300 yds away. I have also read other posts talking about how schools had been moved because of being in close proximity to these fields. So this is not just a broad perception, but something that really exists. I guess the outstanding question is - Would it pose potential health risks to me and my family ? May or may not .. but I don't think I am not prepared to live with that in mind or face the consequences if it does happen .

So I guess that takes Kimball estates out of our list. rec2d0 - Thanks for letting me know about the Pulte homes.. we did enquire about those but they don't start building till fall , which is when we want to move in.

We are also considering a new subdivision in South Forsyth , almost same size as the ones Sharp is Building in Kimball Estates but 50-60 k cheaper.
This is on the Old milton prkwy.

Both are the same distance from GA 400. If you were me , would you wait till yr end to purchase from Pulte or settle for something in S Forsyth ? Thoughts ??

Old 07-01-2011, 05:37 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,315,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by admperk View Post
Both are the same distance from GA 400. If you were me , would you wait till yr end to purchase from Pulte or settle for something in S Forsyth ? Thoughts ??
Trying to buy only a new home might make you make some errors? Why dont you look at old + new homes, and choose whatever works best.

I am Asian Indian, and some of my kind is infatuated with new homes, may be because we dont know how to fix US built homes (or whatever reason). May I know why you are looking at new homes only? New homes come with their own set of problems sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta