Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2011, 02:46 PM

16 posts, read 33,572 times

Advertisements

I checked greatschools website and can't find much info on this school. I am relocating from Louisiana and hope that my child is on the same track as GA students. My oldest will be entering 1st grade and my youngest in Pre-K. I am looking for a nurturing school. I want a teacher that communicates well with me and challenges my sons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 03:25 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,771,076 times
Are you asking about Argyle Elementary specifically? First you should know that the elementary schools in this area are currently in the process of being redistricted.

2011 CCSD Redistricting

Argyle is definitely one of the weak links around here and is one of the schools that may be closed.

Are you asking in general, have you already selected a home that will put you in the Argyle district?

Old 07-02-2011, 03:43 PM

I have selected a home in this district.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:36 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,771,076 times
I live the Argyle district and it is a wonderful place to live but the school definitely has its challenges. To begin with it is one of the oldest building in the area and it overcrowded which is one reason it may be closed when the new school is built.

Argyle's biggest challenge is that it has many students from the apartment complexes along Spring road. Apartments are a strain on schools because you have transient students that move in an out of the school. I don't have school age children so I can't give first hand knowledge of the school.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:44 PM

559 posts, read 832,196 times
I've lived in the Argyle district for about 17 years now and it's just not a place I would send my kids. We're not private school enthusiasts by any means, but when it came down to Argyle vs. private vs. moving, we chose private. Like Lori said, wonderful place to live/work/play, but the school is just not good.

Argyle has been on probation for not making AYP and a large % of the students are ESOL. Our next door neighbor taught at Argyle and defended the merits of the teachers/admin there, while acknowledging that school has major issues.

About a year ago, our neighborhood also got notice that a cellphone tower might/would be going up right behind Argyle, too. Not sure how you feel about EMR (electromagnetic radiation), but you gotta figure having a cellphone tower within steps of 675 kids' brains probably wouldn't help matters much either. Don't know whatever happened w/ that, but we did receive a letter detailing its possibility.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:36 PM

Thanks so much for the info! I am really happy with where we will be living. I went to the Cobb COunty School Board and they were incredibly RUDE to me after I hopped on the first available flight from New Orleans to Atlant to go talk to someone. They laughed at me when I commented on what I found on the internet about Argyle and basically just pi$$ed me off..lol
My son is scheduled for testing at Covenant Christian. I feel more comfortable paying than "taking a chance and giving it a try" as suggested by the CCS board...grrrr

Old 07-08-2011, 07:10 PM

559 posts, read 832,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelocatingATL View Post
Thanks so much for the info! I am really happy with where we will be living. I went to the Cobb COunty School Board and they were incredibly RUDE to me after I hopped on the first available flight from New Orleans to Atlant to go talk to someone. They laughed at me when I commented on what I found on the internet about Argyle and basically just pi$$ed me off..lol
My son is scheduled for testing at Covenant Christian. I feel more comfortable paying than "taking a chance and giving it a try" as suggested by the CCS board...grrrr
Sorry to hear that. Being the middle of summer break, I would imagine you're not getting the CCS's braintrust babysitting the office right now. Sounds like somebody would have rather been at the pool or on vacation w/ the teachers right now.

I don't think you'll be disappointed w/ Covenant if it works out for your kid(s) there. At the least, that'll give you a year to learn the lay of the Cobb County land and plot your live/work/school strategy.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:16 PM

190 posts, read 318,636 times
Just FYI, there is a new Smyrna elementary school being built behind the Belmont Hills site, and depending on where your house is, you might be zoned for it when it's finished. Argyle isn't one of the schools closing, but if you're closer to the Williams Park area, there's a good chance you will zoned for it. It should be a much better school for the area, as parent involvement has been great for the preliminary meetings. I'm not crazy about it being for 900 kids, but it's better than the alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: