Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2011, 09:53 PM

8 posts, read 42,227 times

Advertisements

I would like to move my family to Alpharetta, GA and have two young children. I am a recent widow hoping I can somehow blend in where we decide to live. My question for the board is which neighborhoods within Alpharetta would you suggest we focus on? Have visited multiple areas and liked most but would like an "insiders" take if at all possible. Am looking to spend up to $200K range. Like any family, we want good schools and a safe neighborhood. Any thoughts on target neighborhoods?

Thank you!

Read more: Alpharetta...Best Family Neighborhoods
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 09:58 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,996,996 times
There are many family area (just about all) many will fit in your price range . All the school in Alpharetta(City) Fulton county. South Forsyth (alpharetta Post office) are great school you can't go wrong find a nice home, school, area. You need to get a good local realtor who knows the area, to narrow down your search.

"Best" is very subjective, What best for me, guy accross the street, 2 streets over is all different.

Last edited by flyonpa; 08-09-2011 at 10:19 PM..

Old 08-09-2011, 11:02 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,771,436 times
Will you be working and where?
What age range are your children - elementery, high school? Any speciic interests?

Give us a few more details of the ideal schools - the board should be able to give you some best recommendations of school districts to help you narrow your search.

$200K is on the low end for the newer homes in Alpharetta

Old 08-10-2011, 04:44 PM

8 posts, read 42,227 times
Both of my children will be five years old when we move. Are there nieghborhood where they could play outside with other children? Are there neighborhoods where neighbors also talk to each other and are friendly? What I'm looking for in a school district are schools that offer advance placement courses and in High School courses where my children can earn college credits (not sure what the terminology for that is).

I grew up in an affluent suburb up north and many high school students drove sport cars etc to school. The high school was extremely competitive and placed a lot of pressure on the students. I would prefer my children not have to experience that but I would also prefer an area that is free of crime, friendly neighbors, and schools that groom the students for college. My budget for a house is around 200K.

Maybe I won't find any areas that meet my criteria but I thought I would ask and see what other people think.

Thanks so much in advance for your feedback!.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:06 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times
North Fulton neighborhoods, in general, are friendly. Your housing budget is a little tight for a lot of it. How many bedrooms are you looking for? You might do well in So. Forsythe, or in the older neighborhoods in Roswell. I am having trouble coming up with the names of developments in Alpharetta that come in under $200,000. But, there's something for everyone. I would contact a realtor and give them the parameters you have to work with.

Schools in North Fulton, regardless of the city, are at the top of the scale in GA.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:47 PM

183 posts, read 352,869 times
Look in Concord Hall zipcode 30005.....they are not new homes, but are definitely in and under your price range and are SFHs. It used to be in Alpharetta, but is officially in Johns Creek now. Lot's of transplants here, and kids playing everywhere, with a community pool, park, and tennis courts. This subdivision has a lease restriction, so a majority of the homes here are owner occupied = nicer neighborhood. The surrounding subdivisions are priced a lot higher.

Same Fulton school disctrict as Alpharetta. In fact, it attends Alpharetta elem and middle schools (Lake Windward ES and Webb Bridge MS) and then splits to Chattahoochee HS in Johns Creek.

You can also try looking in the 30022 zipcode, there are some homes under your price range (Morton's Plantation?, Berkshire Manor, etc). But I think overall school and/or safety wise they are still comparable....

These are the two areas I'm most familiar with, so hope that helps you out a bit. good luck

Old 10-16-2011, 09:44 PM

14 posts, read 32,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamlym View Post
Look in Concord Hall zipcode 30005.....they are not new homes, but are definitely in and under your price range and are SFHs. It used to be in Alpharetta, but is officially in Johns Creek now. Lot's of transplants here, and kids playing everywhere, with a community pool, park, and tennis courts. This subdivision has a lease restriction, so a majority of the homes here are owner occupied = nicer neighborhood. The surrounding subdivisions are priced a lot higher.

Same Fulton school disctrict as Alpharetta. In fact, it attends Alpharetta elem and middle schools (Lake Windward ES and Webb Bridge MS) and then splits to Chattahoochee HS in Johns Creek.

You can also try looking in the 30022 zipcode, there are some homes under your price range (Morton's Plantation?, Berkshire Manor, etc). But I think overall school and/or safety wise they are still comparable....

These are the two areas I'm most familiar with, so hope that helps you out a bit. good luck
Very good advice, Tamlym. I have noticed a lot of properties in that zip code that seem like quite a bargain. Also, with the market being the way it is today, you may find more properties at or slightly below 200K than you would have a few years ago. I would advise you to get a good buyers agent. Alpharetta is a fabulous area for families - and it does encompass a rather large area. Best of luck to you in your home search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta