Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 08:38 PM

8 posts, read 11,194 times

Advertisements

Just found out that I'm going to be stationed in Atlanta area. I will be working out of Douglasville and my wife will be looking for a job in the downtown/financial district area of Atlanta. I've asked a few friends and got different answers about traffic and quality of life. My wife and I are trying to live inbetween the two just having some difficulty settling somewhere with good schools. Here's my needs:

1. Budget (150k-200K)
2. House/Condo/Townhome? No preference
3. Employment Status- I will have a job, wife is already doing phone interviews so hopefully she will have one soon
4. Children(public school vs. private) no preference, just want a good quality middle school with good advance learning program.
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two, no preference
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? We both have vehicles, just don't want to do a ridiculous commute.
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.
No preference

So far I've been told Smyrna and Marietta are not bad, I was looking in the Fair Oaks area. Input would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 10:09 PM

any input would be nice...lol dont be shy

Old 08-15-2011, 07:43 AM

1,320 posts, read 4,278,897 times
I'm sure some of the west-siders will chime in soon.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:54 AM

3,713 posts, read 5,999,563 times
I'd say Vinings and Smyrna would be your go-to. Nothing ITP ("in the perimeter") along I-20 will fit your needs, I'm afraid. Living OTP on the west side will be a bit of a hike to downtown--not sure how Mableton is these days, that would be a doable commute for both of you.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:03 PM

I wanted to buy but, probably going to rent first, so you can throw that into the equation. Thanks for the input testa.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:36 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,674,352 times
You should rent where you can afford to buy so that your child doesn't have to change schools. (Unless you don't like the school, then it doesn't matter.) You need to be careful, because sprinkled throughout metro Atlanta are communities where renting is fairly affordable but buying is not. When you are looking, make sure you look at both the rental prices and the purchase prices.

School has now started in every system in the metro area. Any chance you or your wife could get down here to actually visit schools and get a feel for which you like?

I am not familiar with that side of Atlanta, but wanted to make that point.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:39 AM

I wish she could but due to the nature of the move we will all be down here together at once, I have about a week to find housing and look at schools when I get here.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:17 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,115,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
I'd say Vinings and Smyrna would be your go-to. Nothing ITP ("in the perimeter") along I-20 will fit your needs, I'm afraid. Living OTP on the west side will be a bit of a hike to downtown--not sure how Mableton is these days, that would be a doable commute for both of you.
The good areas of Mableton north of Veterans Memorial Highway are largely unchanged, as is the southern part of Smyrna. Of course, schools depend on specific location.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:03 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,779,818 times
Smyrna or Mableton would both work. I love the proximity of Smyrna. I have friends all over Atlanta and yet we seem to meet up in Smyrna more often as it is always seems to be the midpoint.

The price range would work for you. Your challenge is going to be the middle school. Smyrna and Mableton are still hit and miss on schools. There are very good elementery schools and the high schools have greatly improved over the years. Not sure why the middle schools seem to be the week link.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:29 PM

That's the problem I'm having, Mableton and Smyrna seem to have below average middle schools, was looking in southern Marietta....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta