Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2007, 01:46 AM

14 posts, read 46,321 times

Advertisements

Hi All! I am moving to Atlanta very soon (end of this month). However, I wish to stay for about a month or more in a sublet or corporate apartment with my child while I check the area out. Can you please chime in on where the best place for us to stay is? I ultimately want to buy a house and may do so relatively quickly if I can find the one I want.

Right now I am in Los Angeles (don't get me started) and I homeschool my son while I work from home. I would like to continue to do that while I look for a house in the right area for us. I just want to be in the right place so I can get to where I need to easily.

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 01:05 PM

8 posts, read 47,784 times
Hi, I just moved here a few weeks ago from DC. We're looking for a home but staying in Homestead Suites right now. They have very low weekly rates and I decided it would be better than subletting (at least forourselves). Any extended stay hotel would be similar.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:55 AM

14 posts, read 46,321 times
Thank you.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant in what area?

Old 08-16-2007, 01:37 PM

276 posts, read 1,127,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenner42 View Post
Hi, I just moved here a few weeks ago from DC. We're looking for a home but staying in Homestead Suites right now. They have very low weekly rates and I decided it would be better than subletting (at least forourselves). Any extended stay hotel would be similar.
We are thinking of doing the same thing. We currently live in Fl but are looking to buy in Grayson/Lawrenville and Buford areas. We have found alot of what we are looking for when we were on our 1st visit last month but want to live somewhere for a few months maybe to get a real feel, we have thought of extended stay hotels as well. Does anyone know any in the area that we can check out ...we have pets so we need a pet friendly....Thanks a bunch ...Lisa

Old 08-16-2007, 02:28 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,937,061 times
If you are planning on public school at some point, I would probably start be choosing a school district then finding an apartment... near by so that when you purchase, you'll be in the same school district. DeKalb County - Dunwoody - schools are excellent as are many in Sandy Springs in Fulton County.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:56 PM

274 posts, read 860,561 times
Prior to moving to Atl I made many trips here to "check out homes" in various areas. Over the period of 3 years I stayed at the Marriot Town Place Suites in Norcross on Peachtree Industrial Blvd. I highly recommend staying there. They offer full kitchens (real kitchens) beautifully decorated rooms and Very plush beds. There are markets and shopping near by. The building is very secure and the staff was very good. Oh, and the best of all the rates are/were very good. The longer you stay the less it costs. It is appx. 15-20 miles from downtown Atl but very good freeway access. I ALWAYS had a very good experience staying there. There is another location in Kennesaw but it's much more expensive than the Norcross location. Look into it.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:02 PM

697 posts, read 3,021,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prncssmn7 View Post
Hi All! I am moving to Atlanta very soon (end of this month). However, I wish to stay for about a month or more in a sublet or corporate apartment with my child while I check the area out. Can you please chime in on where the best place for us to stay is? I ultimately want to buy a house and may do so relatively quickly if I can find the one I want.

Right now I am in Los Angeles (don't get me started) and I homeschool my son while I work from home. I would like to continue to do that while I look for a house in the right area for us. I just want to be in the right place so I can get to where I need to easily.
So you're working from home, and expect to continue to do so after you move? In other words, commute time/distance isn't really a factor? If you do expect to be working outside the home, you really should consider the most likely locations for work in deciding where to live -- it makes a huge difference in your overall quality of life here.

If work isn't a factor, my next question would be "what made you decide to move to the Atlanta area?" Not questioning your decision, just wondering what the factors were that drew you here, so that we can offer suggestions based on that.

Another question would be whether you plan to continue homeschooling throughout your son's school years, or if you plan to switch to a traditional school (public or private) at some point.

What type of place appeals to you? Atlanta has everything from high-rise apartment/condo areas to older intown neighborhoods to typical suburbs to massive semi-rural farms and estates. Where do you see yourself living?

Old 08-24-2007, 12:28 AM

3 posts, read 11,007 times
I've just relocated from VA/MD to Norcross; I've stayed at Homestead Suites on Jimmy Carter Blvd (the one just before it turns into Holcolmb Bridge Rd). Wkly rates and small kitchenette & internet. Not so clean and lot's of shady business after dark (via transient guests). I am now at Economy Studios (Extended Stay America) off Buford Hwy. A few $s more per day, but very clean, larger space, and very quiet. It is 1 block from Norcross' "downtown" if you can call it that, city hall, large regional post office.
For temporary but long stays, I'd recom going online for the best ESA location (they have acquired Homestead Suites/Studio Plus so they have lots to choose from. Rent is paid by the week (best rate) altho you should reserve online for as long as you think you need it.
*Of note: there is not much availability for help with those in dire straights and needing housing (i.e. homeless)--so there are often such people living in these hotels somewhat permanently. Of course the cheaper the cost, the more you may deal with that situation. Everyone needs some place to live, so be prepared for diverse neighbors. I've appreciated it (ESA) because I get to stay in different areas while checking out the different towns. This way you don't get stuck w/a lease in an area that is unacceptable to you.

Just my shared thoughts...good luck!
OldSchool

Old 08-24-2007, 09:29 AM

3 posts, read 20,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prncssmn7 View Post

Thank you so much!
If you do not want to move your stuff twice there are tons of corporate rentals you can get at a nice complex, fully furnished. Google Atlanta Corportate Rentals and they will do everything for you including having the utilities on upon arrival.

In terms of areas, it depends on where everyone works and if you are a city or suburb person, etc.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:57 PM

7 posts, read 24,456 times
There are two extended stays in Gwinnett one on Hwy 78 and another in the Gwinnet Place Mall area there is another extended stay type place on 20 right off 316 across from the hospital beside the Quicktrip. These areas are better than some you mentioned, they are in Duluth, Lawrenceville and Snellville. If you decide to move and not stay in temporary shelter there are plenty of rental homes, Duplexes, apartments, etc but they have longer commitment time. The are property management companies that can help you in your search. They can straighten out credit or find you housing and help you get pre-qualified for your home purchase. Let me know if I can help in your home search when you are ready...Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta