Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Georgia: relocating to Atlanta, safe area, diversity, traffic, cost of living, tax help.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 09:42 AM

32 posts, read 131,786 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for your input.

Nibseysgirl - Your response has helped allay my fears some about not being welcome, because I have heard from others that New Englanders are not as welcomed in the South. And I know that Keene is not technically a small town, but it has that feel - we call it the world's largest small town.

I also want to state that it's not a matter of being uncomfortable with diversity that prompted my questions about populations, it's a matter of feeling like a fish out of water. Not having much experience with ethnic diversity, I would worry that things I do or say would unintentionally offend some, and I don't want that to happen. I have no problem with people of other races, and I don't doubt that they wouldn't have a problem with me. If anything, I would probably be the one to make things uncomfortable.

I also understand that the South is probably not the best location for us, but the company that I am interviewing with wants to send new hires to their Atlanta office for a year or so to train before they are placed somewhere else. This is one of the best companies for what I do, and while I would much prefer to stay farther north, if I want the job I won't have much choice.

Again, thank you all for your input and I hope I haven't ruffled too many feathers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 01:27 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyanne View Post
I also understand that the South is probably not the best location for us, but the company that I am interviewing with wants to send new hires to their Atlanta office for a year or so to train before they are placed somewhere else. This is one of the best companies for what I do, and while I would much prefer to stay farther north, if I want the job I won't have much choice.

Again, thank you all for your input and I hope I haven't ruffled too many feathers.
I don't think you ruffled any feathers. It's just based on what you're used to and what you want, I don't think many in here would agree that you'll be very happy in the Atlanta area. Even people who ARE more diverse-oriented in nature sometimes find it an uncomfortable city - depending on who you are.

You didn't mention what section of Atlanta this place is in. The following burbs here have A LITTLE of the feel you're talking about. No where close to the Mayberry(ish) type of place you all live in now, but, for Atlanta anyway, they're "tamer". Of course, traffic will be an issue because they're all further out from the city....

Alpharetta (Northern burb)
John's Creek (also north)
Peachtree City (south burb)

Do some googling and read up on those, and see what you think.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:56 PM

Someone PMed earlier and said that where the office is located is far from Alpharetta and John's Creek, (it's at 200 Galleria Parkway, NW), but I'll look into Peachtree City.

Thanks!

Old 08-16-2007, 06:25 PM

663 posts, read 1,864,291 times
I would say that a lot of the Atlanta area that is built up will feel more like the Nashua area with a lot more traffic and diversity. This would be much different from what you are used to. If you know what I'm talking about, I think you now have a reasonable idea of what to expect.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:09 PM

276 posts, read 1,127,826 times
Quote:
Thank you all for your input.

Nibseysgirl - Your response has helped allay my fears some about not being welcome, because I have heard from others that New Englanders are not as welcomed in the South. And I know that Keene is not technically a small town, but it has that feel - we call it the world's largest small town.

I also want to state that it's not a matter of being uncomfortable with diversity that prompted my questions about populations, it's a matter of feeling like a fish out of water. Not having much experience with ethnic diversity, I would worry that things I do or say would unintentionally offend some, and I don't want that to happen. I have no problem with people of other races, and I don't doubt that they wouldn't have a problem with me. If anything, I would probably be the one to make things uncomfortable.

Youre very welcome. I hope my impressions and personal observations helped. I do feel very comfortable and welcome in GA and there is no mistaking my thick MA accent...So if they dont like northers they never led on to me and I met quite a few people who commented on how much they like the N. And if it helps I have heard many many employers in that area LOVE to hire Northerns...I hope I have the same expiriences (employment and other..)when I move there...I am so looking forward to it. I love the south and I love the north too but for very different reasons. The south is very traditonal and rich in culture and sad to say although there is alot of history in both MA and NH it is not nearly as respected or treated as such as it is the the south. Now if you were ask me about FL you would get a totally different response...GA and FL other than sharing a border and the warmer climates..that is about where the similarities end..People are to stuck up here in FL for me and in GA they are genuine and God loving people with hearts of gold and that is what I want my kids to expirience and to be proud of thier beliefs and not ashamed or embarrased(as I was growing up in MA/NH) to embrace ALL that life has to offer...I cant wait to move ..I love it in GA and it cant come fast enough...good luck with your job, move and I hope you expirience the same wonders of GA that I did...Take Care...Lisa

Old 08-17-2007, 08:57 AM

34 posts, read 39,707 times
Be careful about the commute time-- find a place within 20 minutes otherwise you will spend your life on I 285!!!!!

Old 08-17-2007, 09:45 AM

That's good to know!

Up here we tend to judge distance in time (i.e. I live ten minutes from the store), but all the information I can find about neighboring towns is in miles.

How long would the commute be from a town say, 30 miles out?

Old 08-18-2007, 01:57 AM

160 posts, read 600,962 times
Most areas like that are going to be in the far north suburbs like others have said. I didn't know any minorities were moving to Forsyth??!! Have I been gone that long??? They must not be natives, you couldn't pay me to spend my money or live there. (Now I'm going to add Keene to my list of places to never stop)
For commuting to Galleria, what do you all think about Woodstock, Acworth or Cartersville? This is my outdated opinion I don't get up there much anymore.

It's nice that someone actually says what they mean instead of tap -dancing around the subject and pretending to look for an area with 'good schools' and 'low crime'. Until the backpedaling anyway at the top of the page though.....

Old 08-18-2007, 03:00 PM

65 posts, read 216,027 times
Quote:
Hi,

I'm a 23 year old from New England (born in Massachusetts, raised in New Hamphire), and I'm interviewing for a position that will most likely require me to relocate to Atlanta.

I have a 10 month old son, and my fiance and I are not big on cities. We have both lived in small towns all our lives, so we would like to find a suburb with a small town feel. The area we come from is very low crime (we leave our doors unlocked around here, and you can leave your purse on the sink in a public restroom), so we'd like to find somewhere with a similar vibe (if such a place exists near the big city).

We're looking to rent at first, because I don't know how long this position would keep us in Atlanta.

The other thing is (and I don't know that there is any good way to phrase this, but I'll try) that the area of New Hampshire that we're in is not diverse at all. While neither my fiance nor I are racist in any way, we both feel that we would be more comfortable living in a less diverse area (again, if such a place exists), at least at first. I hope my saying that doesn't offend anyone, it's just that when you are from a small town in the middle of nowhere it's hard to move to a place that is more urban and ethnically diverse. Know what I mean?

Anyway, can anyone make any recommendations on places we could look into? We're not too worried about schools at the moment, because our son is so young. Basically we want a friendly community with a small town feel that is relatively safe.

Thanks in advance!
Where in Atlanta are you being relocated to? Atlanta is very large and has a lot of great communities. Let me know if I can help.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:47 PM

151 posts, read 817,558 times
Default Just moved from Alpharetta, GA to Windham, NH

Forsyth County might be a fit. The drive down 400 will not be nice, but there are some lightly populated areas there, although it's a county that growing by leaps and bounds.

I can give you my personal breakdown of GA vs NH (although I've only been in NH for a month now). You can direct message me if you'd like.

Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta