Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 08:50 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,569,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
I'm saving my Delta miles for emergency trips.
No doubt...im surprised local authorities are always telling people to drive out somewhere. Are there that many people NOT prepared for a disaster? I would think local airports and Am trak would help with getting people out of the region, creating stand still traffic to get away from a region seems counter productive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 10:42 AM

876 posts, read 2,278,839 times
Caleb makes some good points, but I am not into firearms myself. I guess that is a personal preference. Houses with basements are good for those worried about emergency situations of any type, weather, etc.

Some areas of Atlanta suffer more power outages than others due to the weather. Some of us can go without power for more than a day if the situation is very severe. We had the week long snow in January '11, but I think power outages maybe lasted less than a day and can happen any time of the year. I don't remember, but if you don't have power more than a day or so, you may get way too cold or hot and not want to stay at your residence. It would be a good idea to keep a small kit in your car.

With that in mind, I would keep some extra non-perishable food. I would keep some extra water handy stored away, put the date on it. Manual can openers, etc.

The extra batteries and extra flashlights are a good idea.

Depending on where you live: having an oil lamp ready to light, kerosene heater if you know how to use one properly, and some basic things like that.

If you want to spend more money, maybe a small generator, but I don't think that is necessary.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:12 AM

1,382 posts, read 3,802,097 times
If you have an infant, make sure you have extra infant formula on hand. I shudder to think how horrific it would be if stores run out for some reason and we have infants who were never breastfed and suddenly cannot eat. The modern supply chain leaves no room for error. One disruption and you're looking at bare shelves withing hours and lasting for who knows how long.

Ditto for any essential medications that you are on. If you can't live without your pills, it's time to make a Plan B and try to get some extra supply.

Also, keep in mind that just because you were able to flee doesn't mean you have anywhere to go. Motels will probably be booked. Think about relatives that you have out of state that would take you in. Living in your car or in the woods is really not an option for most families, even for a short time.

As for why most people aren't prepared these days, there are many reasons. Prepared folks are seen as nutjobs. Most people don't have spare money these days to stock up on much at all. People are complacent and assume the government will be there help them out.

My highly educated friend came over to my house when I lived in GA and laughed at me when she saw a small supply of canned goods I had with a list of expiration dates and the words "emergency food." You can't help stupid, but you can help yourself. I'm happy to see a thread like this on the GA forum. I didn't give the state a fair shake when we lived there and I would move back there tomorrow if we could get jobs! (but the tornadoes up there scare the heck out of me)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta